TV Show and Episode Naming?
Hoping to get some insight here.....

I would like to know how I should store and name all of my TV Shows so when XBMC scans them, it will pick them up by Show name, episode name and display the information for each episode as shown below?

Thanks in advance!

The most common is probably something like

/Lost/Season 02/Lost S02E01.mkv
/Entourage/Season 01/Entourage S01E03.mkv

etc..etc..
calmdown Wrote:The most common is probably something like

/Lost/Season 02/Lost S02E01.mkv
/Entourage/Season 01/Entourage S01E03.mkv

etc..etc..

Thats exactly what I Was looking for, thanks a lot I will try ensuring that convention is used before scanning in all my TV shows this afternoon. Big Grin
Good luck man, a organized library is a happy library Smile
You can do away with the season folders as well because XBMC ignores them anyway.
Thanks a lot guy's. I cleaned everything up last night before adding my "TV Shows" source, and it all looks great in Alaska on XBMC now!! Big Grin
Hitcher Wrote:You can do away with the season folders as well because XBMC ignores them anyway.

Season folders are helpful from an organization stand point, especially with bigger shows.
Long after I stop using xbmc I'll still have a mess of media and I'd like to be able to make sense of it. ^_^
hikaricore Wrote:Season folders are helpful from an organization stand point, especially with bigger shows.
Long after I stop using xbmc I'll still have a mess of media and I'd like to be able to make sense of it. ^_^

I agree, keeps it more tidy when you get into 5+ seasons of files.
If any one needs help renaming tons of tv episodes without going through them manually the best tool i've found for the job is listed below:

http://filebot.sourceforge.net/
I tried it after reading your post. I do NOT understand how it works. No information at all. (No help or read me file to be found.) And it did nothing for renaming.

Heretic9 Wrote:If any one needs help renaming tons of tv episodes without going through them manually the best tool i've found for the job is listed below:

http://filebot.sourceforge.net/
Looks pretty straight forward to me... did you have your eyes open when you tried it out?
Thanks or the help! (Read sarcasm!)
It's NOT straight forward at all. First of all it dos not allow dragging the TV folder over to be checked. You must drag the inter most folder check it, then go to the next. And when I have more than 700 seasons of TV episodes (143 TV shows.) all in season folders, it so easy, and extremely time consuming. My TV shows drive has an hierarchy as such. J:/TV Shows/NCIS/NCIS Season 01 (2003) Show name S1E01. But with many shows being downloaded names are sometimes a real mess. Filebot will not even give an option to fix the name if there is any character before the name, and
Besides that, it wanted to rename NCIS to NCIS LA.
When I asked it to fix the name of season 8 of 24, it wanted to rename the 1st and 2nd episode to S1E1 and S1E2. (The name I had was 24 0801, and 24 0802.
So NO It is not as you say it is.
But thanks none the less for wasting your time with the post.

hikaricore Wrote:Looks pretty straight forward to me... did you have your eyes open when you tried it out?
Hi, I am the developer of FileBot. Just thought I'd write quick response.

hdmax Wrote:It's NOT straight forward at all.
I think it is straight-forward once you know how it works, but I have to agree that it surely is not intuitive for a first-time user. I plan on doing a quick video demo but I just didn't have time yet.

hdmax Wrote:First of all it dos not allow dragging the TV folder over to be checked. You must drag the inter most folder check it, then go to the next. And when I have more than 700 seasons of TV episodes (143 TV shows.) all in season folders, it so easy, and extremely time consuming.
FileBot is kind of designed to be used on a per-series basis. So you can drop multiple (season) folders at once (or one after another via copy-drop). Renaming multiple shows at once works to some degree, but is not recommended. That's why I don't allow you to "just drop everything".
I will however think about this kind of use case and hope to support it in future releases. Again sorry for the lack of user documentation.

hdmax Wrote:Filebot will not even give an option to fix the name if there is any character before the name
I'm sorry, I don't really know what you mean. Is it, that once the series name is determined to be "NCIS LA" you can't force it to "NCIS"?

hdmax Wrote:And besides that, it wanted to rename NCIS to NCIS LA. When I asked it to fix the name of season 8 of 24, it wanted to rename the 1st and 2nd episode to S1E1 and S1E2. (The name I had was 24 0801, and 24 0802
Would you mind giving me some sample data (parent folder + file names) for NCIS LA and 24 S8?

I tested with "NCIS/NCIS LA 101" file structure and that worked fine as far as I am concerned. Same with "24/24 0801" structure.

Anyway, hoping to get some feedback and I'll work an those issues as soon as I can!
There was indeed some problem with FileBot episode matching. I tried to rename the series Blood+ the last time I tried the software. I had the episodes named in absolute order "Blood+ 01.avi ... Blood+ 50.avi". When I tried to rename into {n} {s}x{e} format using TVDB, FileBot mess up the order. For example, Blood+ 14.avi became Blood+ 2x9.avi or something, while it should be Blood+ 2x1.avi
volforto Wrote:There was indeed some problem with FileBot episode matching. I tried to rename the series Blood+ the last time I tried the software. I had the episodes named in absolute order "Blood+ 01.avi ... Blood+ 50.avi". When I tried to rename into {n} {s}x{e} format using TVDB, FileBot mess up the order. For example, Blood+ 14.avi became Blood+ 2x9.avi or something, while it should be Blood+ 2x1.avi
FileBot doesn't care about original order but tries to matches files and episodes as good as possible.

TVDB however organizes Anime in seasons. In the case of Blood+, E14 becomes S02E01, E15 becomes S02E02 and so on. Obviously those numbers don't match. If numbers don't match, FileBot will use fuzzy-logic... which can be a bit fuzzy at times...

Use anidb for anime, and everything should match properly. If you really must use TVDB, you can just get the episode list separately in "Episodes" panel and drag the result to the "New Names" list.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TV Show and Episode Naming?0