[WINDOWS] DTS Audio Device failure?
Hello everyone, I know this has been asked countless of times on the forums but I simply can't find a thread that discusses or has a solution to my specific problem.

I know for a fact that I have a reciever that is capable of both DTS and AC3 sound. When I first downloaded XBMC I got the Aeon skin, loaded a couple of movies into the program and started watching just to check if my sound was working, and indeed i got a red flashing icon on the reciever and the sound was perfect. Hooray! Or not.

I must've done something, I don't know what that would be, but all of a sudden when I enable DTS in the audio settings my movies won't play any sound and I get the message "Failed to initialize audio device..." that you all know of. I just can't understand what might be the problem? I know that some peoples problem have been their sound-card drivers but I just think that's suspicious since it used to work perfectly with the same drivers I use now.

I also tried enabling and disabling various settings in the audio settings area, but no matter what combination of enabled/disabled settings I use, as soon as DTS is activated it fails.

I am definitely not good at computerstuff in general and whenever these problems occur I just can't seem to figure out the problem, it's abit overcourse for me. Regardless, I should be able to follow instructions/take hints so if any of you guys on these forums have any advice to me I'd appreciate it.

I included my debug log here, but when looking through it I didn't see it reporting my issue anywhere, but maybe that's just me not knowing what to look for.

http://pastebin.com/m3ad3dc6b

If there's any other information about my computer specs or whatever you would like me to post I'd be happy to do that, just tell me what you need.

I also apologize if you have a hard time understanding what I'm saying as english is far from my motherlanguage. I try my best.

Thanks alot!
So I tried reinstalling my audio drivers and XBMC, yet I still have the same problem.

Ran a new test and it didn't work, still get the same line
Code:
00:38:17 T:3272 M:2618163200   ERROR: CWin32DirectSound::Initialize: cannot create secondary buffer (DSERR_INVALIDCALL)
00:38:17 T:3272 M:2618163200   ERROR: Creating a Null Audio Renderer, Check your audio settings as this should not happen

Can anyone please explain what this could be? I just simply can't understand what I could've done that prevents it from working, as it actually has been working when I first installed XBMC yesterday.

Thanks
What Windows version are you using?
AzzX Wrote:What Windows version are you using?

Windows XP Home Edition SP3
Does another media player work? and do you have the correct audio output selected in xbmc?

Try a nightly build also.
Okay I think I might remember what is causing the problem. Just before the shit stopped working I had the normal yellow "automatic updates" (dunno what it says exactly in english) button flashing in the bottom right corner of the screen. So I installed the 8 or so updates that were available, so I guess that's what screwed things up... Which leads me to the question:

How do i rollback?

I know that it isn't the driver for my soundcard that's causing the trouble, because I tried reinstalling it they way it was before it stopped working and nothing happened, so I'm guessing it's some windows-sound-driver-ish-thingy-whatever that's the problem? If this isn't the problem then I'm completely clueless.

My friend who has the same reciever and surround system as me had the same problem, although he uses Windows 7 and HDMI sound while I use Windows XP and an optical cable, so there might be a difference driver-wise.
If you're lucky, you have Windows setup automatically to make restore points prior to updates. That's the default setup. Check and see if that's the case.

I don't recall the exact way to get there on XP but on Win7 it's

Start -> Accessories -> System Tools.

It should be something similar on XP.
Alright thanks alot.

I'm on another computer at the moment so can't try it out, so let's presume I'm unlucky and that didn't work. Is there anything else I can do? Reinstall windows? Was thinking of upgrading to Windows 7 anyways but don't wanna loose all the movies.
Alright so I did a system recovery, reinstalled soundcard driver and XBMC and still it doesn't work. I get the same damn "Failed to initialize audio device" message every single time when trying to enable DTS.

http://pastebin.com/m630e9324

In this log I basically started XBMC, played The Time Traveler's Wife for a few seconds and then exited XBMC.

Does anyone have a clue as to what the problem may be? This is beyond me so I really need some help, there has to be something I can do.

Thanks
have you tested changing what sound device that is used in settings?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

elupus Wrote:have you tested changing what sound device that is used in settings?

Yes I have tested literally every setting available but as soon as DTS is enabled I get the error message. Sure I could go without DTS but then the sound would be crap anyways, so that's not really an option.

I'm thinking of installing Windows 7 instead as I have a friend with the exact same sound setup as me but HDMI instead of optical cable, so it would make it easier for me to get it working. If I could though I'd rather try to fix the problem with my current OS.
Well, don't be so sure about it working after having installed Windows 7.
I'm running Windows 7 32-Bit and my ACER is connected via HDMI but I get the same error message and still have no solution for it.
Even making changes in ffdshow didn't help to fix it.
But even more strange behaviour.

I have the latest XBMC installed and the program is running on a Dell Zino HD with Windows 7 Ultimate. The Dell is connected via HDMI to a Onkyo receiver capable of DTS, Dolby, the works....

Two days ago everything worked, DTS lighted 'on' on my receiver and 'dolby' if another DVD was streamed from the Dell. Today I just get "failed to initaite audio" . After swithing DTS to 'off' in teh XBMC system audio hardware settings I do get PCM multichannel, but *not* Dolby or DTS on the receiver.

Have tweaked all settings in Win7, to no afail. It's driving me nuts, as it seems random!
Well......seems that resetting my receiver solved the issues....
It *could* not have been XBMC...

I apologize!

Ernie
So many people do seem to have the same problem though. Did it show itself again?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] DTS Audio Device failure?0