[MOD] Video Info with MPAA Description
Video Info Ratings Mod.

This mod for Alaska will alter the Video Info screen to include more MPAA Ratings Info as well as the Movie/TV Show Star Rating (if Stars are turned on). It also will add a little extra info in the TV Section as shown in the preview images below.

[EDIT] Download link removed. This mod is now combined with the Tagline mod and can be found HERE.

To install, extract the download to your Alaska folder. Remember to back up your Alaska skin first in case you don't like it & want to revert. The installation will overwrite 4 files, they are:

720p\DialogVideoInfo.xml
720p\Includes.xml
720p\Includes_Objects.xml
media\movieinfolines.png

This mod does not conflict with my other mod, the Poster/Tagline mod so it is safe to install both. However, if you have personally modified any of the 3 xml files mentioned above, you will need to merge the changes you previously made into these files or vice versa. The best freeware tool I have found for that is WinMerge.

Obligatory screenshots are below using a couple different themes so you can get a better idea of how it will look.

Image.Image

Enjoy!
I love the idea, but i feel it may need bit more designing... perhaps give a little more room for the rating description? A larger gap on top and bottom of it may be the key Big Grin Thanks for taking the time to do these mods, they are appreciated!
I love my Mac Mini :;):
looks nice, i like the long plot though.
anywho, a chance for adding both rating and genre to the info screen ?
otherwise I like your layout here, runtime is better to the right as you have done.
ynwa
Yeah, I would use this.

And I've always wished the MPAA rating was on the main library page, alongside the studio icons as well. When you have kids present, and you're scrolling through movies to watch, you could then quickly cross off ones deemed inappropriate just by the rating.
tuckbodi Wrote:Yeah, I would use this.

And I've always wished the MPAA rating was on the main library page, alongside the studio icons as well. When you have kids present, and you're scrolling through movies to watch, you could then quickly cross off ones deemed inappropriate just by the rating.

I agree. My kids actually brought that up the other day.
tuckbodi Wrote:Yeah, I would use this.

I thought about doing that with my Poster/Tagline Mod, as in the mockup image below, but eventually decided against it since I thought it made the screen a little too crowded with my other changes. I may revisit it again, though. Maybe it would work better down below, instead of above, the posters on the left.

Amra Wrote:I thought about doing that with my Poster/Tagline Mod, as in the mockup image below, but eventually decided against it since I thought it made the screen a little too crowded with my other changes. I may revisit it again, though. Maybe it would work better down below, instead of above, the posters on the left.

I know alaska is a minimalistic skin, but this info is really good in the poster view.
What about placing the mpaa above the tagline and keep left side clean ? Or right above the poster itself ?
ynwa
I like the idea of the rating details on movie info; would definitely find it useful for the kids.

Looking at your mockup of poster view, would it be feasible to put title and genre up above, where tagline is, and have running time, tagline, and MPAA rating down below?

Like so...

Maybe too busy?
Thanks for the ideas everybody but I'm going to hold off on tweaking my Poster/Tagline Mod to include the MPAA rating for now. I have some ideas & will revisit it.

In the meantime, I think I've come up with a redesigned/tweaked Video Info screen that I like. I added more room for the rating description (Thanks UnisonRuss) and added a Star Rating as per gekados' suggestion (Thanks also). I didn't add the Genre info as that would probably clutter it up just a little too much & that info is usually available before you pull up the Info screen. Also, I left the Plot as is. It's very easy for anyone to change that to the Plot Outline on their own.

All in all, I'm happy with it but I still need to finish some code with the Rating Stars for proper placement in the various views (IE: Poster, Square, Banner, Landscape, etc.)

Here's a preview using a couple different themes.

Looks really nice. I've got little ones and would definitely use the extra info. Looking forward to trying it out!
Well, Here is the finished mod. I ended up moving the Star Rating again so that it would work with all viewtypes. Please note that the star rating is optional and can be turned on/off in the Alaska Settings just like the stars in the rest of the skin.

[EDIT] Download link removed. This is now combined with the Poster Tagline mod HERE.

To install, extract the download to your Alaska folder. Remember to back up your Alaska skin first in case you don't like it & want to revert. The installation will overwrite 4 files, they are:

720p\DialogVideoInfo.xml
720p\Includes.xml
720p\Includes_Objects.xml
media\movieinfolines.png

This mod does not conflict with my other mod, the Poster/Tagline mod so it is safe to install both. However, if you have personally modified any of the 3 xml files mentioned above, you will need to merge the changes you previously made into these files or vice versa. The best freeware tool I have found for that is WinMerge.

Obligatory screenshots are below using a couple different themes so you can get a better idea of how it will look.

Image.Image

This info has been copied to Post#1 of this thread and any future updates can be found there.
Very nice. But whats about the german ratings ...Rolleyes

Efty
efty.edge Wrote:Very nice. But whats about the german ratings ...Rolleyes

Efty
I'm not German so I have no way of testing that.

This mod will display the contents of the "<mpaa></mpaa>" section of a movie's NFO file. If there is text in that section of the nfo, whether it is English or German, it should display it appropriately. It does not remove anything from the Video Info screen that was there previously, it only adds to it.

If you are German & could test it for me, it would be appreciated. Big Grin
Hi Amra,

thanx for your reply. Sorry, but i'm german so it would be nice if you add a german support.

In Germany we have following Ratings:

- o.Al.
- FSK 0
- FSK 6
- FSK 12
- FSK 16
- FSK 18

The Rating Information is placed in the mpaa section too, like this.
PHP Code:
<mpaa>Germany:0</mpaa>
<
mpaa>Germany:6</mpaa>
<
mpaa>Germany:12</mpaa>
<
mpaa>Germany:16</mpaa>
<
mpaa>Germany:18</mpaa

Sorry but i've no O.AL movies ...

We have also icons for that information, but there were extreme colorized. They doesn't fit in the superb Alasko look. So, my oppionion is - no German icons, the information is enough ...

Please add the following as normal text to your mod.

FSK 12

Maybe bold and in the grey text color of the font of the standard skin.

If you like i will test it for you, but this afternoon i'm out.

Thanx again.
Efty

P.S. Because i'm no expert in Photoshop, maybe someone else can make a grey version of the standard FSK icons. That would be nice ... and may look better.
Great work! I am however having issues with the MOD... I applied it today, but now in all movie views there is the menu seems permanently "there" - maybe some screen shots will illustrate what I mean:

See what I mean? The dialogue of "View; Sort Date;" etc. is always there. How can I fix this and have the mod work? Thank you!
I love my Mac Mini :;):

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MOD] Video Info with MPAA Description0