[WINDOWS] Xbox 360 Wireless Controller Keymap
I've been playing with the latest nightly build r27482 and have setup the controller to do pretty much everything that the Xbox360EventClient.exe but within XBMC and without the need to launch the EventClient file. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the patch that bobdevis has written to fix the controllerdeadzone problem is included in the latest nightly builds. When i use the volume stick (right stick) I no longer have the sound level wandering down or up. The main reason I prefer this method is that when I would launch games from the Launcher plugin, Xbox360EventClient.exe would still send the 360 button presses through to XBMC while I was playing the game.

[PROBLEM]I do have a problem though with losing the ability to use the D-PAD. I haven't pin pointed what the cause is, but after some time, the dpad won't function in the menu's or the video. I can't remember exactly, but sometimes pulling the left trigger brings the DPAD back to life. I will investigate this further when I am able to replicate the problem.

Now on to some info for the 360 controller. I've been setting up the keymaping file for the 360 Wireless Controller and thought I'd share what I know about the controller's Button ID's so far.
Code:
button id 1 = A
button id 2 = B
button id 3 = X
button id 4 = Y
button id 5 = Left Button
button id 6 = Right Button
button id 7 = back
button id 8 = start
button id 9 = left stick button
button id 10 = right stick button

axis limit="-1" id="2"   Up on left stick
axis limit="+1" id="2"   Down on left stick
axis limit="-1" id="3"   Left on left stick
axis limit="+1" id="3"   Right on left stick

axis limit="-1" id="4"   Up on right stick
axis limit="+1" id="4"   Down on right stick
axis limit="-1" id="5"   Left on right stick
axis limit="+1" id="5"   Right on right stick

hat id="1" position="up"   Up on DPAD
hat id="1" position="right"   Right on DPAD
hat id="1" position="down"   Down on DPAD
hat id="1" position="left"   Left on DPAD

Sample of the XML file for global settings

Code:
<global>
    <joystick name="Controller (Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows)">
      <button id="1">Select</button>
      <button id="2">ParentDir</button>
      <button id="3">FullScreen</button>
      <button id="4">Queue</button>
      <button id="5">ContextMenu</button>
      <button id="6">PreviousMenu</button>
    <button id="8">XBMC.ActivateWindow(PlayerControls)</button>
    <button id="9">Screenshot</button>
    <button id="10">XBMC.ActivateWindow(ShutdownMenu)</button>
      <hat id="1" position="up">Up</hat>
      <hat id="1" position="down">Down</hat>
    <hat id="1" position="left">Left</hat>
    <hat id="1" position="right">Right</hat>
    <axis limit="-1" id="4">VolumeUp</axis>
      <axis limit="+1" id="4">VolumeDown</axis>
      <axis limit="-1" id="5">AnalogSeekBack</axis>
      <axis limit="+1" id="5">AnalogSeekForward</axis>
    <axis limit="0" id="3">ScrollUp</axis>
      <axis limit="0" id="6">ScrollDown</axis>
    </joystick>
  </global>

Here's a link to my prepared XML keymap file ready to go for the latest nightly builds of XBMC. Just put it in your "c:/Program Files/XBMC/System/Keymaps" folder and make sure your wireless controller is on before you launch XBMC.

http://rapidshare.com/files/346793973/jo...roller.xml

I still need info on the Right & Left triggers. At this stage it seems to be axis limit="0" id="3" makes the left trigger go super fast whilst axis limit="0" id="6" makes the right trigger go slow in the menus. Right and left triggers both go to the left or up instead of left and right respectively.

Hopefully this will shed some more light on getting full support for Xbox 360 Wireless Controllers in XBMC for Windows. I'm hoping by the next stable release we can all use 360 controllers straight after install without configuration.

On a side note, if you are after an Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows, you can get one from Deal Extreme
MagicRat
http://360forwindows.com
MEDIA PC Athlon 64 X2 5600+ - 2GB DDR2-800 Ram - Windows XP SP3 32-Bit - 512MB 9800GT - 2x 360 Wireless Controllers - Antec Fusion Remote Black HTPC Case - 50" 720p (1366x768) Panasonic Plasma
MEDIA STORAGE SERVER Athlon 64 X2 6000+ - 2GB DDR2-800 RAM - Windows XP SP2 32-Bit - 512MB Nvidia 9400GS - 2x 2TB HDD + 1x 1.5TB HDD + 4x 1TB HDD + 4x 500GB HDD + 1x 160GB HDD = 11.66TB Storage
Thanks a lot, I've been trying to figure out how to get the d-pad to work on XBMC Big Grin
Thanks a lot for doing this. I always wanted to use my xbox 360 wireless but not resort to using the eventclient. (Not that it's a big deal or anything, but still, less programs the better for the kind of stuff i do.)
No problems. The DPAD settings were actually from the member bobdevis. The rest came from just trying the different button ids and eventually got it working. On an interesting note, I haven't had any problems with the DPAD not working again, so it was probably just a random error.

Using the Xbox360EventClient was interfering with launching games so I wanteda better solution. Now to figure out the Left & Right triggers and it'll be all good. I have always loved controlling XBMC with my 360 controller and so does my fiance so the easier it is for her, the easier it is for me.Big Grin

I'm also trying to develop a 360 Compatible Games List for those interested (one that requires no external software and works out of the box).
MagicRat
MEDIA PC Athlon 64 X2 5600+ - 2GB DDR2-800 Ram - Windows XP SP3 32-Bit - 512MB 9800GT - 2x 360 Wireless Controllers - Antec Fusion Remote Black HTPC Case - 50" 720p (1366x768) Panasonic Plasma
MEDIA STORAGE SERVER Athlon 64 X2 6000+ - 2GB DDR2-800 RAM - Windows XP SP2 32-Bit - 512MB Nvidia 9400GS - 2x 2TB HDD + 1x 1.5TB HDD + 4x 1TB HDD + 4x 500GB HDD + 1x 160GB HDD = 11.66TB Storage
Thanks, magicrat80, you gave me an idea of how to get my xbox 360 controller to work with xbmc.
I spotted a few mistakes in your xml file... You did some mistakes with the ids.

I will be sharing my new configuration with you gladly, but I can't do it right now, because I'm currently at the library.

So expect me to post my corrected version monday-ish.

I got the left and right triggers working, but there are a few errors left. They still go super fast in the menus.

greetings
The triggers moving too fast was my problem too. Haven't had much of a chance to nut that one out yet. The keymap that I've been using has been working really well, but any improvements is always welcome. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the ids in the xml were wrong. I'm just glad there are others out there that will find this usefull.
MagicRat
Hi Magicrat80,
Here's my slightly modified keymap:
http://rapidshare.com/files/348291051/jo...roller.xml
Now left and right triggers should work, but I noticed that they're still buggy sometimes.

Thanks for your effort, again.

petey123
petey123 would it be possible for you to post your modified keymap. I can no longer download it from the site you posted it to.

Thanks
Granyte Wrote:petey123 would it be possible for you to post your modified keymap. I can no longer download it from the site you posted it to.

Thanks

try this
http://kinglait.com.au/joystick.Xbox.360...roller.rar
i tried to make it the same as the xbox both triggers work
Thanks for all of the great info, yet I have some issues that maybe you can shed some light on.

I can't be the only one using my xbox 360 wireless controller to ALSO control my various emulators with the "launcher". When I use a program like xpadder or joy2key it completely messes up my controlling of the actual GUI in XBMC. This especially becomes an issue when navigating menus and back and forth and every press from the D-pad, actually moves the menu twice.

If there are any suggestions I am glad to hear them.
Joy2key worked fine for me. I used this link:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Global_Keyboard

and this one:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Use-an-X...ey-Basics/

Then I matched the letters from link one to the buttons on link two.

Then I just made sure in my emulators that they were mapped to match my XBMC configuration.
brougham Wrote:Thanks for all of the great info, yet I have some issues that maybe you can shed some light on.

I can't be the only one using my xbox 360 wireless controller to ALSO control my various emulators with the "launcher". When I use a program like xpadder or joy2key it completely messes up my controlling of the actual GUI in XBMC. This especially becomes an issue when navigating menus and back and forth and every press from the D-pad, actually moves the menu twice.

If there are any suggestions I am glad to hear them.

This is why I did the research and created this XML. When ever I used the Xbox360EventClient.exe and tried to use the Launcher plugin to launch a game or emulator, my button presses where registering in the game and XBMC behind. This XML solved it for me.

http://rapidshare.com/files/346793973/jo...roller.xml

The triggers aren't working 100% so I've left out the code for them. Once XBMC 10.05 comes out, i believe that the dead zone issue should be sorted out for the triggers (don't quote me).
MagicRat
I just downloaded dharma beta 4 and I'm confused as to which file is the most recent one.

Seeing directory (installation directory)\system\keymaps already contains a file named joystick.Microsoft.Xbox.360.Controller.xml, I thought my Xbox 360 Wireless Controller would work out of the box. This is not the case and I had to place the file from this thread in there to make it work. (Although my left stick does not work in XBMC.)

I then compared the files and it looks quite similar to the one supplied in this thread. Some keybindings are different and I noticed the xml name attributes which use 'Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver' instead of 'Controller (Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows)'. I thought the naming broke it but alas; replacing the name in the 'official' keymapping did not make a difference.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong here?
Hi everybody.

This is my first post on this very useful forum where i have been able to find lots of tips and tricks that helped me a lot to start with XBMC (thanks to the community).

First of all, I am French, so please excuse my poor English (or pardon my french Laugh)

I try to find a way to use my xbox 360 wireless controller with XBMC.

I read a lot of post but in the end I'm lost, can anybody help me to do this step by step ?

Thanks in advance.
Hm, tried dropping the xml file in there and XBMC still doesn't recognize my wireless 360 pad. Running Windows 7 64 bit.
Windows 11 Pro, Kodi 20, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32gb RAM, nVidia 3080 ti

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] Xbox 360 Wireless Controller Keymap0