XBMC - System Crash / Freeze
Windows 7 ultimate 32 bit
Intel® Pentium 4 CPU 3.2GHz (64 bit capable)
1 GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 7300 / 197.13 driver version
Realtek audio / Windows 7 default driver for High Definition Audio Device version 6.1.7600.16385
Sony 50" KF-E50A10 TV connected via DVI / HDMI adapter @ 720p, cropped to 1222 x 692 to make edges fit within the screen frame (note the problem occurs at normal 720 or 1080i resolutions, the custom resolution is not causing the issue, and was forced using the nvidia control panel adjust displace size application).
XBMC 9.11

My entire system is freezing in XBMC shortly after launch. Sometimes it happens immediately on launch, and other times I can browse through the menu, and perform different tasks prior to it freezing. The issue occurs prior to attempting any video playback. When the system freezes, the computer requires a hard reset (hold the power button) in order to turn off, reboot, etc.

This machine was originally Windows XP 32 and when the freezes started happening, I reinstalled the app thinking the db was corrupted. When that didn't work, I formatted and put on Windows 7 x 64, and the problem remained. I then formatted and tried Windows 7 x32, and the problem remains. I've attempted using the standard Windows 7 nvidia driver, and the one listed above. I've also tried multiple realtek audio driver versions in all 3 os's, but the problem remains.

I've taken each 512MB ram stick out 1 at a time, and the problem remains (suggesting either it's not memory or both sticks are bad which is doubtful).

Debug Log

Pastebin

MediaInfo output not required, as the issue occurs outside of video playback.

Any thoughts?
jacanuck Wrote:Windows 7 ultimate 32 bit
Intel® Pentium 4 CPU 3.2GHz (64 bit capable)
1 GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 7300 / 197.13 driver version
Realtek audio / Windows 7 default driver for High Definition Audio Device version 6.1.7600.16385
Sony 50" KF-E50A10 TV connected via DVI / HDMI adapter @ 720p, cropped to 1222 x 692 to make edges fit within the screen frame (note the problem occurs at normal 720 or 1080i resolutions, the custom resolution is not causing the issue, and was forced using the nvidia control panel adjust displace size application).
XBMC 9.11

My entire system is freezing in XBMC shortly after launch. Sometimes it happens immediately on launch, and other times I can browse through the menu, and perform different tasks prior to it freezing. The issue occurs prior to attempting any video playback. When the system freezes, the computer requires a hard reset (hold the power button) in order to turn off, reboot, etc.

This machine was originally Windows XP 32 and when the freezes started happening, I reinstalled the app thinking the db was corrupted. When that didn't work, I formatted and put on Windows 7 x 64, and the problem remained. I then formatted and tried Windows 7 x32, and the problem remains. I've attempted using the standard Windows 7 nvidia driver, and the one listed above. I've also tried multiple realtek audio driver versions in all 3 os's, but the problem remains.

I've taken each 512MB ram stick out 1 at a time, and the problem remains (suggesting either it's not memory or both sticks are bad which is doubtful).

Debug Log

Pastebin

MediaInfo output not required, as the issue occurs outside of video playback.

Any thoughts?

bump?
Is that the entire debug log? Nothing in that log would explain the freezing, that I can tell.

A couple of suggestions:

1. Go to C:\Users\Home\AppData\Roaming and rename the XBMC file to _XBMC or some other random name so XBMC the program doesn't pick it up.

2. Install the March 1 nightly build from there.

http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/win32/

Report back if it is still freezing or not.
natethomas Wrote:Is that the entire debug log? Nothing in that log would explain the freezing, that I can tell.

A couple of suggestions:

1. Go to C:\Users\Home\AppData\Roaming and rename the XBMC file to _XBMC or some other random name so XBMC the program doesn't pick it up.

2. Install the March 1 nightly build from there.

http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/win32/

Report back if it is still freezing or not.

That's the entire log - and trust me, it doesn't make sense to me either.

I'll install the build this weekend and let you know. I'm starting to lean towards some type of hardware problem. I've run the nvidia demos to stress my video card and none of them fail or freeze, so I'm really stumped.
For what it's worth - the video card (XFX nvidia geforce 7200) was causing the crash. I removed the video card, and tested with the onboard video and all of my problems went away.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC - System Crash / Freeze0