[LINUX] Please help. Several XBMC problems.
Hi I have got a few problems with xbmc and I am at a lose as to what I can do. I have tried un-installing then reinstalling and nothing changes.

First is that xbmc freezes when a movie stops ether when I stop it or it finishes, doesn't freeze between queued movies only when they finish and it attempts to go back to the menu.

Second is that it doesn't play DivX files properly the video and audio is way out of sink. The Video runs fast for the first few seconds then it settles to what seams normal. The audio just plays normally from the start. So it ends up that the audio is about 10 seconds behind the video.
I am guessing this is some sort of corrupt or missing codec I just don't know where to start. Because the movies play perfectly in Movie Player.
Xvids play great all round.

Third is that when XBMC starts from the login screen it doesn't connect to the internet, this isn't a major problem as all files are on this computer and I don't wont to stream anything. I cant scrape anything or get weather or news updates.

And Fourth is not really directly XBMC related, but any help would be appreciated. I would like to mange the media library with Media Info Plus I have herd of people running this with wine but mine just doest seem to work. When I double click on the icon it thinks for a sec then nothing the computer keeps running like I never clicked on it.
If any one knows of a library mangier that is made especially for Ubuntu I would love to know of it.

Now my computer info:
XBMC 9.11 R26018
Linux Distribution and Version: 2.6.31-20-generic #58-Ubuntu SMP
Ubuntu 9.10
CPU: AMD Phenom ™ II X4 955 Processor
Architecture: x86_64
Memory: 3710MB
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 3300 Graphics
Open GL vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
Open GL version: 2.1.9016

Any more info, log files or anything just ask. I don't know what log files I should provide if any. As you may have noticed I'm no computer expert.
Got xbmc.log for problem 1
http://pastebin.com/9YYHWRG0
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I got no idea what any of it means.
Try xbmc live. Or a solution like http://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/xci/vi...p?f=11&t=2 or similar.
Only other solution is learning linux I guess.

good luck.
Thanks. Minimal install sounds like it wouldn't do anything that freshly installing Ubuntu wouldn't so I think I might try a complete re-install of Linux this weekend and see how that goes. If it doesn't work I guess I'll just have to go back to windows.
Big Red Wrote:Thanks. Minimal install sounds like it wouldn't do anything that freshly installing Ubuntu wouldn't so I think I might try a complete re-install of Linux this weekend and see how that goes. If it doesn't work I guess I'll just have to go back to windows.

don't give up without fighting Laugh
Minimal install is nice, but there are tons of things that can and will go wrong. Download xbmc live, burn it, try it. If it works, install it. Use that as a starting point. If you're lucky, everything will just work. Otherwise you should have some minor issues to solve.
Don't worry I haven't given up yet. I have made it crash a few more times and looking at the log file it is a little different to what I posted before.
Here it is:
http://pastebin.com/SQe64tXn

Are these big problems?
439. 18:41:14 T:139889313360144 M:3224199168 ERROR: AddPackets - failed to add leftover bytes to render
480. 18:41:14 T:139889892825104 M:3248214016 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(player):Tongueut MSGQ_NOT_INITIALIZED
Oh and could I have both xbmc live and Ubuntu? Like a dual boot with grub2?
Big Red Wrote:Oh and could I have both xbmc live and Ubuntu? Like a dual boot with grub2?

yes, of corse. Apart from the fact that xbmc live is itself Ubuntu based.

regarding log files: I don't think your issues come from xbmc but from the os. To me that log file does not say anything anyway...
Why not try a newer build?
You could add the svn-ppa to your apt-get sources and upgrade to r28256.

Code:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc-svn/ppa/ubuntu karmic main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc-svn/ppa/ubuntu karmic main
You could even try a decent operating system like windows 7Nod
XBMC Frodo 12 - Windows 7 - Asrock Ion 330HT - Aeon Nox
Big Red Wrote:Hi I have got a few problems with xbmc and I am at a lose as to what I can do. I have tried un-installing then reinstalling and nothing changes.

First is that xbmc freezes when a movie stops ether when I stop it or it finishes, doesn't freeze between queued movies only when they finish and it attempts to go back to the menu.

I can't think of anything on this one. I haven't seen the same problem on mine, and I have seen lots of issues, I'll look through the log you send and see if I can see anything.

Quote:Second is that it doesn't play DivX files properly the video and audio is way out of sink. The Video runs fast for the first few seconds then it settles to what seams normal. The audio just plays normally from the start. So it ends up that the audio is about 10 seconds behind the video.
I am guessing this is some sort of corrupt or missing codec I just don't know where to start. Because the movies play perfectly in Movie Player.
Xvids play great all round.

This seems like a codec issue to be honest. I had problems a while back with what I called a stutter start: the video would start, seem slow, sound lagging but it would all sync up in about two seconds. The problem was XBMC related and it had to do with my using SPDIF passthrough on my nVidia card. The release I am using (no version to post since it's at home and I am work) seemed to solve the issue. Yours sounds different since the audio isn't syncing. I recommend going directly to the hardware with the audio and not through a soft out. (hw0,3 for instance instead of ASLA or a Pulse device).

Quote:Third is that when XBMC starts from the login screen it doesn't connect to the internet, this isn't a major problem as all files are on this computer and I don't wont to stream anything. I cant scrape anything or get weather or news updates.

I would set up XBMC to start inside a user account instead of as a system startup, if that is what you have, due to the fact Ubuntu sets up networking, out of the box, as a user level service. Your other option is define your network interface at the system level and remove control from the user and have the network interface start at boot which will solve this problem for you.

Quote:And Fourth is not really directly XBMC related, but any help would be appreciated. I would like to mange the media library with Media Info Plus I have herd of people running this with wine but mine just doest seem to work. When I double click on the icon it thinks for a sec then nothing the computer keeps running like I never clicked on it.

Run it from the command line and see what it says.

Quote:If any one knows of a library mangier that is made especially for Ubuntu I would love to know of it.

Depends on what you mean. Media rover will mangle your tv episodes for you but it's a command line tool that you set up and use as a cron job. Aside from that I don't know of any good media managers. I would like to see one myself. For music I use a combination of things but Easy Tag is what I use for naming/sorting/tag editing. I don't know of any good media managers that do movies/tv eps/music for Linux.

Quote:Now my computer info:
XBMC 9.11 R26018
Linux Distribution and Version: 2.6.31-20-generic #58-Ubuntu SMP
Ubuntu 9.10
CPU: AMD Phenom ™ II X4 955 Processor
Architecture: x86_64
Memory: 3710MB
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 3300 Graphics
Open GL vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
Open GL version: 2.1.9016

Any more info, log files or anything just ask. I don't know what log files I should provide if any. As you may have noticed I'm no computer expert.
paul Wrote:You could even try a decent operating system like windows 7Nod

This is the funniest message I have seen all day but completely off topic and not helpful at all. Rolleyes
Redneck Wrote:Why not try a newer build?
Thanks but it doesn't seem to have worked.

rickx Wrote:yes, of corse. Apart from the fact that xbmc live is itself Ubuntu based.
Only real reason I would like an OS on the same machine is so it is easy to add add-ons and organize all the media. So I think ill run xbmc live and see if that works. If it does I might put that on one hard drive and windows xp on another that I'm about to get. (Just need to find a tutorial on how to do it.) This should allow me to do everything.

And thanks romeosidvicious, going directly to the hardware with the audio and not through a soft out, might solve that problem and will definitely consider if it still happens after this.
romeosidvicious Wrote:Run it from the command line and see what it says.
I am not all that confident in command line, and if I have windows on the other hard drive then I'll be able to use Media Info Plus or any of the other media managers built for windows.
OK I've run into more questions.

First I have got xbmc live onto a CD and it seems to run well on that except i can't find anything to play, it wont allow me to ad a source so i don't know if it works completely.
I am using an Asus M4A78T-E which has an on-board ATI graphics card, I have needed to install proprietary drivers to get the most of its 3D capabilities how easy is it to do this with xbmc live or wont i need to?

Second I am thinking that I'll divide my current hard drive into three with xbmc live in one windows in another and the majority shared. In the shared partition I don't know what file system i should use ext3/4 or NTFS. I have read mixed reviews not many of which have been new I just know not to go FAT32 as it is limited to 4GB files with HD coming on that isn't going to work.
Quote:In the shared partition I don't know what file system i should use ext3/4 or NTFS.

Has to be ntfs if windows should be able to read.

Quote:First I have got xbmc live onto a CD and it seems to run well on that except i can't find anything to play
It will not see internal drives due to the risk that something will break (RAID etc)
Try pluging in an usb drive

Quote:I have needed to install proprietary drivers to get the most of its 3D capabilities how easy is it to do this with xbmc live or wont i need to?
It could be necessary to manully install the ATI drives after you have installed to the hard disk.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Please help. Several XBMC problems.0