Post install issue
Hi All,

I have installed XBMC onto my Apple TV as per the instructions on the WIKI exactly. After the install I can see the new menu but I can not use it. It is as if the remote control has stopped working. I have got the white remote that came with it and alos another aluminium one I bought seperate and sync'd with it.

I can see the orange light go on with the apple tv when I press the buttons, but nothing happens. I have to hold menu and - to reset the apple tv. The only way to get the remote to work again is to do a factory restore.

Latest version of the USB ATV creator was used.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

John
dcer10 Wrote:I can see the orange light go on with the apple tv when I press the buttons, but nothing happens.

If the LED is flashing amber, you need to unpair the remote.
See this link
xbmc.log: /Users/<username>/Library/Logs/xbmc.log
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Thanks for the reply. I wish I had seen it before I did a factory restore on my apple tv. Lost my rentals and had to beg apple to give me the ability to download the movies etc I had bought again...

In any case I got the apple tv all back to normal and was once again tempted by the ability to use XBMC on it so I tried again.

I installed XBMC (only used the standard remote this time) and all went well. I could see the menu and I went to do an update and to start installing 3rd party apps. I installed the first one (ATV I think it was called) and also set auto finder restart when required (only changes I made). The install of ATV seemed to work, and the Apple TV restarted. When it came back up the intro movie played, then nothing but a black screen came up. I could hear the beeps of the remote working in the background in the menu but no image. I can hold menu + for 6 sec and see the screen res change menu (tried 720 and 1080 - tv is 1080 but neither made any difference). After a while the screen saver started up and works fine so im guessing that for whatever reason I just cant see the menu.

Has anyone had this before and what is the solution (and cause pls so I dont land up in this situation again!!).

Thanks in advance.

John
dcer10 Wrote:Thanks for the reply. I wish I had seen it before I did a factory restore on my apple tv. Lost my rentals and had to beg apple to give me the ability to download the movies etc I had bought again...

In any case I got the apple tv all back to normal and was once again tempted by the ability to use XBMC on it so I tried again.

I installed XBMC (only used the standard remote this time) and all went well. I could see the menu and I went to do an update and to start installing 3rd party apps. I installed the first one (ATV I think it was called) and also set auto finder restart when required (only changes I made). The install of ATV seemed to work, and the Apple TV restarted. When it came back up the intro movie played, then nothing but a black screen came up. I could hear the beeps of the remote working in the background in the menu but no image. I can hold menu + for 6 sec and see the screen res change menu (tried 720 and 1080 - tv is 1080 but neither made any difference). After a while the screen saver started up and works fine so im guessing that for whatever reason I just cant see the menu.

Has anyone had this before and what is the solution (and cause pls so I dont land up in this situation again!!).

Thanks in advance.

John

ssh in and remove ATVFiles. Google or search the forums for how.
For anyone who is interested I did manage to get the problem resolved by SSHing into the Apple TV and running the following command which I found by just looking at the contents of the PlugIns folder.

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/PlugIns/ATVFiles.frappliance/

Seems to have worked fine.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Post install issue0