Top Bar Stuck During Playback
Question 
I just recently switched over to XBMC from MediaPortal, and I'm having a problem with the navigational bar displayed at the top of screen during playback. My problem is if I start a video with the mouse, or move the mouse onscreen while a video is playing, the bar appears, and stays there. A right click will hide the bar, but it pops right back up when the mouse is moved.

My setup could have something to do with it: I have my TV hooked up to my PC as a second monitor, and I use the computer during playback. Any help with this would be much appreciated.
Built-in feature.

Be a little more patient it will disappear. I don't know how long you gave it or even how long it stays fixed, but if no mouse movement on screen it will disappear - no need to continually use 'right-click' unless you want to.
You can also press m to hide it.
Question 
Thanks for the quick replies.

It's definitely not going away on its own. How long is it supposed to stay up? Thanks for the tip on the M key.

I have a few more questions after some use of XBMC:

I've noticed that the only way to close the bottom progress bar is by pressing close. Shouldn't it just close after pressing Info again?

Is it necessary to have different buttons for Parent Directory and Previous Menu? Wouldn't it be simpler to have a back button? The same goes for Context Menu and Info (although I've found no consequences to just assigning both functions to the same button.)

Also, in Library Mode, I've found that within seasons of a show, the episodes are listed alphabetically. This can't be right?

Lastly, is there any way to change audio streams and subtitles during playback outside of the audio settings, like with aspect ratio?
1. It should also close via Info, if not it's keymappable at anyrate.
2. No - backspace on the keyboard does both parent dir and previous menu. By default "Back" on the remote does that as well. Keymappable.
3. Context menu and Info both close using the same key they're opened with by default. Again, keymappable.
4. Sort mode can be specified on the left in Confluence.
5. Yes, I believe you can keymap to next/prev subtitle and next/prev audio.

Investigate keymapping. If something isn't done by default where it should be, please post a patch on trac (after checking current SVN's keymap, ofcourse).

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Question 
Thanks a lot for the help. I'm loving XBMC but am just dealing with those little issues you get when switching software you use all the time.

It seems all my problems except the topbar are being caused by me using EventGhost for remote control instead of the proper mceremote.reg method (I can't believe I forgot the sidebar in library mode).

Unfortunately, after registering Remote-SendKeys and rebooting, I still can't get full remote control of XBMC (I'm using the HP MCE remote). The navigational keys up, down, back etc all work but nothing else. Using ShowKey, I'm seeing that my remote is only sending ctrl and ctrl shift keystrokes instead of ctrl-P, ctrl shift-P etc. Any ideas?
There's a minor bug in 9.11 that's probably causing the topbar problem. The bar is designed to appear when you move the mouse, but it's supposed to disappear after three seconds after the mouse has stopped moving. The bug is that it fails to detect that the mouse has stopped moving if the last mouse move was too rapid. To check if this is the case move the mouse as slowly as you can then stop it. You should find the OSD disappears after 3 seconds. The bug is fixed in the development builds.

GrapeApe Wrote:Unfortunately, after registering Remote-SendKeys and rebooting, I still can't get full remote control of XBMC (I'm using the HP MCE remote). The navigational keys up, down, back etc all work but nothing else. Using ShowKey, I'm seeing that my remote is only sending ctrl and ctrl shift keystrokes instead of ctrl-P, ctrl shift-P etc. Any ideas?

Hmmm, I use the HP remote (this one - http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Remote_Contr...MCE_Remote) though I use the Remote-XBMC.reg config as I don't need Windows Media Center. Try using the Remote-XBMC config and see if it works, then switch back to Remote-SendKeys.

JR
Question 
After following your advice on xbmc.reg, I think I've got it working. Everything functions except info. Now I'm wondering if xbmc has any way to remain the only priority for my remote, and to keep it from controlling windows, like eventghost's disable hid service feature for the mce remote plugin.

Thanks for the help
GrapeApe Wrote:After following your advice on xbmc.reg, I think I've got it working. Everything functions except info. Now I'm wondering if xbmc has any way to remain the only priority for my remote, and to keep it from controlling windows, like eventghost's disable hid service feature for the mce remote plugin.

Thanks for the help
If you are referring to 'green button' start - try the following link it works a treat - http://inchoatethoughts.com/launching-xb...ter-remote
GrapeApe Wrote:After following your advice on xbmc.reg, I think I've got it working. Everything functions except info. Now I'm wondering if xbmc has any way to remain the only priority for my remote, and to keep it from controlling windows, like eventghost's disable hid service feature for the mce remote plugin.

The Remote-XBMC.reg file configures the remote to send c when you press the Info button. This should open the context menu. I can't now remember why it was decided to send a c instead of an i. Anyhow you can easily change it by modifying the .reg file and reapplying it.

Which functions on the remote control Windows? I thought I'd programmed every key to send XBMC commands.

JR
I often use my computer while using xbmc, and for example while I'm writing this post my remote has lost focus and is controlling the cursor. Pressing play types a p, pause is space etc. I have to click back into xbmc to regain control.

By the way, you were right about the topbar, thanks.

steelman, I was not asking for that particularly, but I have been trying to figure out how to launch with the green button, so much thanks for the link.
GrapeApe Wrote:I often use my computer while using xbmc, and for example while I'm writing this post my remote has lost focus and is controlling the cursor. Pressing play types a p, pause is space etc. I have to click back into xbmc to regain control.

steelman, I was not asking for that particularly, but I have been trying to figure out how to launch with the green button, so much thanks for the link.

If you've used Remote-XBMC.reg you'll find that the green button sends ctrl-shift-X. Configure this as the hotkey for the XBMC icon in the Start Menu. Now when you press the green button it will start XBMC. If XBMC is running then in theory pressing the green button will switch the focus back to XBMC. I say "in theory" because there's a bug in the release 9.11 that means this doesn't work. This is fixed in the development builds.

So this should fix both problems. It makes the breen button start XBMC and it makes the green button swith the focus back to XBMC if for any reason it's lost the focus.

JR

PS if you're uneasy using the development builds let me know and I'll fix the bug in the 9.11 release and pop it on xbmcmce.sourceforge.net.
jhsrennie Wrote:If you've used Remote-XBMC.reg you'll find that the green button sends ctrl-shift-X. Configure this as the hotkey for the XBMC icon in the Start Menu. Now when you press the green button it will start XBMC. If XBMC is running then in theory pressing the green button will switch the focus back to XBMC. I say "in theory" because there's a bug in the release 9.11 that means this doesn't work. This is fixed in the development builds.

So this should fix both problems. It makes the breen button start XBMC and it makes the green button swith the focus back to XBMC if for any reason it's lost the focus.

JR

PS if you're uneasy using the development builds let me know and I'll fix the bug in the 9.11 release and pop it on xbmcmce.sourceforge.net.

Yes I tried that hot-key trick, but couldn't get it to 'stick' kept losing its command focus (restarting pc was the only remedy) - on various other development builds. The way I linked to in the previous page, is for me anyway, more stable (sorry I should change that to works flawlessly).
Question 
jhsrennie Wrote:If you've used Remote-XBMC.reg you'll find that the green button sends ctrl-shift-X. Configure this as the hotkey for the XBMC icon in the Start Menu. Now when you press the green button it will start XBMC. If XBMC is running then in theory pressing the green button will switch the focus back to XBMC. I say "in theory" because there's a bug in the release 9.11 that means this doesn't work. This is fixed in the development builds.

JR

I updated to the latest nightly, mapped ctrl+shift+x, and edited the xml file to fix the info button. I just noticed that strangely, my channel up+down and skip back+forward buttons are all sending period and comma. Not much of a problem, I just edited the xml to make period and comma page up/page down, and I never really use the skip buttons.

So far it seems my last issue is one that just cropped up: sometimes my remote spontaneously changes up and down to pageup/pagedown, and the regular pageup/pagedown buttons lose their function. I don't think it's to do with xbmc.reg, or my editing of the xml because it also happened once yesterday while I was using eventghost. Pressing left or right seems to fix it.

Also, do Slide Show and and Aspect work on your remote? Because they aren't sending anything on mine.
GrapeApe Wrote:Also, do Slide Show and and Aspect work on your remote? Because they aren't sending anything on mine.

In the mceremote.zip there is a config file called CreateTestConfig.reg. This assigns a different keystroke to every possible button number. If you install this config and reboot you can use Showkey to see what keystroke the Slide Show and Aspect keys send, and from this work out the button number. Then you can modify Remote-XBMC.reg to configure the two buttons to send a keystroke of your choice.

Having said that, my HP remote doesn't have any buttons for Slide Show or remote. Looking at http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Remote_Contr...MCE_Remote I can't see those buttons on either the old model (the one I have) or the newer one.

JR

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Top Bar Stuck During Playback0