XBMC reboots my PC
I have a Dell Zino running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and a QNap NAS drive where I store my video's.

I can start XMBC but as soon as it starts scanning for content the whole PC just reboots, nothing written to any log files or anything else I can see.

I just don't know where to look, anyone with any tips ?

Thanks
MartynK Wrote:I have a Dell Zino running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and a QNap NAS drive where I store my video's.

I can start XBMC but as soon as it starts scanning for content the whole PC just reboots, nothing written to any log files or anything else I can see.

I just don't know where to look, anyone with any tips ?

Thanks

This could be a heat issue... I've had problems with my Zino overheating and locking up / rebooting / etc.

What chip do you have in it?
Run CoreTemp and use the logging feature. Let us know what the temps are before it reboots.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Yes, I did think of this so I have switched off for a while and then tried again, but no luck. I can leave the machine on for days and it will run any program without issue except XMBC.
I have not had any issues with XBMC causing a reboot. Since you have not provided any other information on system config there is not much I can help you with other then having you ensure you have all the latest drivers installed and use a stable XBMC release.
Turn off that windows setting that makes it reboot on a bluescreen, then you can actually get an error message.
Well I think I can definatly say its XMBC, the machine has been running fine now for a couple of days without issue. I start XBMC, do nothing other than let it sit there at the main menu and after a few mins the machine reboots.

The spec of the machine is:
AMD Athlon Neo X2 Dual Core 6850e 1.80GHz
4gb Memory
500gb drive
Windows Ultimate x64

The wireless network adapter has been switched off and I am connected to a 100mb network switch via cable.

I have uninstalled te network drivers, reinstalled the originals, also installed the updated drivers but nothing makes a difference.

Not sure what else I can say.
MartynK
I have the same exact config. Lets see if we can isolate the issue.

Go to support.dell.com and install all the most recent drivers.

Set Windows to NOT reboot during a fault (blue screen).
Set Windows to write a small debug log
Set XBMC to debug logging
Install CoreTemp and set it to logging. Have it run on login.

report back after these are completed.
Livin, I have done all you have said without any luck.

Downloaded all the lastest drives and installed them.

CPU temp hovers around the 65-68 mark no matter what is running, even if its just the OS.

The XBMC log file does not show any error messages per say, just the normal debug stuff.

But the one thing that is surprising and I cannot seem to fix it no matter what setting I have in the Windows advance options, is the system reboots on a crash, I just cannot find a way to stop it.

The other thing is that Windows is not writing out any debug dump log !

The last few lines of the XBMC log are:

11:06:58 T:5088 M:2975608832 DEBUG: Thread 5088 terminating (autodelete)
11:06:59 T:3536 M:2975698944 DEBUG: Thread 3536 terminating (autodelete)
11:06:59 T:4152 M:2975838208 DEBUG: SECTION:UnloadDelayed(DLL: special://xbmc/system/ImageLib.dll)
11:06:59 T:4152 M:2975838208 DEBUG: Win32DllLoader::Unload ImageLib.dll
11:06:59 T:4152 M:2975838208 DEBUG: FreeLibrary(MSVCR71.dll) -> 03068CF0
11:06:59 T:4152 M:2975838208 DEBUG: FreeLibrary(MSVCP71.dll) -> 03068E80
11:06:59 T:4152 M:2975838208 DEBUG: Win32DllLoader::Unload MSVCP71.dll
11:06:59 T:4152 M:2975838208 DEBUG: FreeLibrary(MSVCR71.dll) -> 03068CF0
A reboot without any Windows crash data points to a hardware issue. Something in XBMC may be triggering it. Strange hardware issues can pop up like this. I have a Zino that reboots without warning - I assumed it was heat related.

You have not said what build you are running. Have you tried different builds?

I'm on SVN:27976
My XBMC crashes too on W7 64. In my case it seems, that it has something to do with presentation screensaver and main menu backgrounds. When the screensaver starts and I press some key after a while it crashes and reboots. The same happens sometimes in main menu where similiar code is probably used to move with background pictures. It happens in builds after 28000.
chumaj001 Wrote:My XBMC crashes too on W7 64. In my case it seems, that it has something to do with presentation screensaver and main menu backgrounds. When the screensaver starts and I press some key after a while it crashes and reboots. The same happens sometimes in main menu where similiar code is probably used to move with background pictures. It happens in builds after 28000.

interesting... have you tried different skins?
Well I have just gone back to v9.04.1 and it still crashes the machine.

Anyone else with any ideas ?
MartynK,
I have determined that I'm also having, what may be, the same problem you are seeing.

Strangely enough, it does not occur when playing a video. It does occur when idle (on a menu) or even when playing music.

I'm at SVN 27976 so it does not seem to be a specific build - I have not tried going all the way back to the last public release.

It is not the video screensaver as I'm using 'dim' and that works fine. I'm using skin 'BIG Alaska' so I will try another and see if the results are the same.

What skins are you guys using?

Also, what video cards are you using? (I'm using ATI 4330)
Livin,

I have an "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4330" graphics card.

As far as skins and the rest, I just use whatever is the default, but to be honest I cannot really get to change things as it reboots to quickly !
Run a memory test like memtest64 from memtest86.com. Also, to rule out other hardware problems, I would run some other benchmarking tool to fully stress the system like prime95 on each core.

Then, as a last resort, download the last working SVN before merge (should be the last one available in the nightlies section of XBMC) and reinstall it along with the last released DX end user runtime from microsoft.

Oh, and make sure your Mobility drivers are up to date from ATI.
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
Gigabyte MA78GM-U2SH Mainboard
ATI HD3200 Onboard
AMD 7750BE Dual-Core 4.00GB RAM
ATI HD3200 HDMI Sound
HTPC HMDI -> ONKYO TX-SR605 -> Panasonic TH-46PZ85U Plasma

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC reboots my PC0