Hardware suggestions to replace a mac mini
I currently have a mac mini ( a 2007 or 2008 model core 2 duo at 1.66GHZ, gma950 video I think, analog audio, OSX 10.6 ) that I have just recently turned into a media front end for the bedroom.
I'm using "camelot" xbmc download and so far, I'm happier with xbmc than Ihave the various other software/hardware combinations I have tried.
The mac is flaky in that you have to hold your tongue just right when you boot it, else you get horrible flickering and continuous resync issues on my 120HZ LCD. It's connected via an onkyo home theatre unit, S502 if memory serves. (A word of advice - stear clear of that one...) And it sounds like a learjet while running. It will do fine with all DVD quality media and even *some* HD stuff, but it constantly drives the fan inside that little case. I'm getting windburn on the other side of the room.

So, anyway -- after much searching through the forums and googling, I have yet to be able to make up my mind about what hardware I want to replace it with - I do know that I want to use Linux on the replacement, and I tend toward Asus/AMD on my desktop boards when possible.

I found the "5 best boards for Linux HTPC" at LinuxTECH.net - however, I can't find any dates in the article, so I have no idea how old that is. Going on the assumption that is somewhat recent, the 5 boards listed are:

Zotac GF9300-G-E
Asus P5N7A-VM
Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H
Asus M3N78-EM
Gigabyte GA-M85M-US2H

I have also been looking over the Neuros Link website, and provided the Link is actually shipping considered it as one of the options for software there seems to be xbmc.

My ultimate goal is to put whatever parts together, mount up the NFS exports on my network and give the SO the remote and walk away from it. Ease of install and use are paramount. Based on what I have read about audio over HDMI for linux I'm very concerned and thus I'm looking to find someone(s) that have one or more of these combinations running and can verify that things will work pretty much out of the box.

While cost is important, rock solid "just works" is more important.

Any alternative suggestion that will build an appliance that I won't have to constantly tweak and fiddle to work will also be greatly appreciated!

Edit: The mac also does flash video downloaded off the internet - the quality sucks on most of the downloadable stuff, but it does display it. I hear the atom line of systems have issues with flash, so while flash sucks, and I'd rather not deal with it, it's out there <sigh>.
For sound it sounds like you plan on using HDMI, do you require digital sound (ala receiver) or just analog to the display?

Edit: hrm, reading closer, looks like you are doing audio through an onkyo receiver, correct?
gabbott Wrote:For sound it sounds like you plan on using HDMI, do you require digital sound (ala receiver) or just analog to the display?

Edit: hrm, reading closer, looks like you are doing audio through an onkyo receiver, correct?

Yes, currenlty using the analog out of the mac headphone jack to RCA jack in on the Onkyo. Video is passed through the Onkyo HDMI ports to the TV.

If I can get this working reliably, I'll swap the onkyo for a unit capable of audio and video over HDMI.

I have a unit in the den that does audio and video over HDMI to test audio if needed.

For some back ground on this, the SO is really tired of me twiddling with stuff. I have gone through a couple of different "appliances" that are on the market for this type of thing and so far xbmc on the mac is the closest we have gotten to what she(we) want.
Just need better hardware and I much prefer linux over mac.
First thought I have: Keep the mini, throw in a broadcom card (you have to use ethernet to get maximum WAF), throw XBMC Live on it (the version about to come out) and be merry!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hardware suggestions to replace a mac mini0