Keyboard/Remote stops working after 5 mins
Hi all, I am new to this but REALLY have tried finding the answer to this question but with no joy on XBMC forums or Google etc. Here goes:

My keyboard/remote stops working after 5 mins, it almost seems like they go into some kind of sleep mode because if I touch the mouse and activate click a button on the mouse....everything seems to 'wake up' again and resumes working.

I am using the Hauppauge 45 button remote and would assume it was the remote if it wasn't affecting my keyboard too.

I am probably not activating something but would love some help please guys as I think XBMC is awesome!! Thanks in advance.
That's odd. Can you give us more info about OS and mouse/keyboard hardware?
In Windows the remote emulates a keyboard, so it's not surprising both the mouse and keyboard are affected together.

I wonder if XBMC is losing the focus and therefore not receiving the keyboard messages. Try using alt-tab on the keyboard to switch back to XBMC and see if that fixes it.

JR
Thanks for replying JR & Orbi,

I tried the alt/tab option last night too and i'm afraid that didn't seem to work either.

Here are my details as requested:
Dell Optiplex 755
Hauppauge WinTv Nova-T Stick with Hauppauge 45 buttoned remote.
An old Technika USB keyboard that I found in my loft.
Windows XP Professional 32 bit
USB mouse
Latest Build of XBMC

I hope that this is enough info, if any more needed please let me know.

Bob
Just another point that might be worth mentioning.

This problem does not occur when I am in 'fullscreen' but the reason I had to switch over to 'using a fullscreen window rather than a true fullscreen' was because XBMC kept on minimizing the window on video playback and music playback. I found this little fix on the forums to switch over to using a fullscreen window and it solved the minimizing issue but now I as I say I lose the remote after a fairly short period of time.
Do you work with 2 screens?
No Orbi, I don't. I have XBMC on my main TV screen.
Bobski Wrote:Just another point that might be worth mentioning.

This problem does not occur when I am in 'fullscreen' but the reason I had to switch over to 'using a fullscreen window rather than a true fullscreen' was because XBMC kept on minimizing the window on video playback and music playback. I found this little fix on the forums to switch over to using a fullscreen window and it solved the minimizing issue but now I as I say I lose the remote after a fairly short period of time.

XBMC is minimizing because something is grabbing the focus. That explains why the keyboard stops working. When you click with the mouse you're steting the focus back to XBMC hence the keyboard starts working again. Rather than enabling the "Use a fullscreen window ..." option you need to find out what is grabbing the focus and stop it!

JR
That makes perfect sense to me. Ok, Will try and find out what that might be and fix it. Will let you know how I get on. Thank you very much indeed, really appreciate it.
My money is on the Hauppauge remote. It probably come preprogrammed out of the box to emulate some windows functions and one of the buttons you are pressing is the culprit. Myself, I would get rid of anything they've preinstalled and use your remote together with Eventghost to create your own XBMC profile.
Well Jr........You're a star!!

I found out that my Tenda USB Wireless stick was causing the issue as you say by grabbing the focus away from XBMC. I switched back to fullscreen and have updated the driver that will now run properly in ther background instead of refreshing itself and taking the focus away. Works a treat! Thank you so much everyone for your help. BTW Clipper, Great idea with the Eventghost thing, have downloaded all the plugins that I need (I think) and am now trying to work out how to create a new profile but really like the idea of the remote doing what I need it to do, thanks.
Well Jr......You solved it for me!!! Thank you

It turns out my Tenda Wireless USB key was taking away the focus from XBMC. I updated the drivers so it would run in the background properly and reset the screen to fullscreen and job done! Can't thank you guys enough for helping me.

BTW Clipper99 great idea for my remote, I have downloaded Eventghost and all the necessary plugins and am trying to make my own profile as we speak, thanks.
Haha didn't know if my last message got published hence the duplicate. lol sorry about that :-( Told you I was a newbie!
LOL on the duplicate message bobski! Big Grin Been there , done that!

Evenghost is extremely powerful. I like the fact that every button on the remote can have multiple actions depending on the application you are running. You have to add an "enable an item" & a "disable an item" macro (under configuration-->add macro-->eventghost) then tell eventghost which folder of commands you want to enable and disable. A good tutorial demostrating this is on this page:

http://counterearth.com/2010/03/setting-...ntghost/5/

I'm sure you'll find all kinds of tutorials if you need help. As well, I use the xbmcrepeat plugin available here:

http://www.eventghost.org/forum/viewtopi...xbmcrepeat

Much better than the XBMC plugin that comes with Eventghost.

good luck!
Lol, Clipper that looks and sounds wicked to me. Thank you for all your help. Have to say this is the first time I have ever used a forum with a post of my own and I have to say i'm impressed how kind you all are. I'm absolutely in love with XBMC so it's great to know there's a good network of peolple to help out if needed.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Keyboard/Remote stops working after 5 mins0