ATV (Linux) + NAS
Darkcloud28 Wrote:i have Lacie Big Network hard drive - 2 of them ,10TB each , they are amazing , they run Twonky media server , Itunes server , and bit torrent server , and i have most of my Blu-ray files store there , no problem with playing full 1080p.
and if You order directly from LaCie - no tax !

And You can add to the back of the case 3-4 external hard drives to extend the storage !
Darkcloud28 Wrote:i have Lacie Big Network hard drive - 2 of them ,10TB each , they are amazing , they run Twonky media server , Itunes server , and bit torrent server , and i have most of my Blu-ray files store there , no problem with playing full 1080p.
and if You order directly from LaCie - no tax !

Yeah, But I don't own a bank....Confused
JDizzy Wrote:This was regarding the NetGear Stora NAS....

Is it possible to run the mysql database without having some sort of server?
The reason I went with NAS was to leave the computer off. I just use the NAS as storage.
Since I am running the ATV off Linux memory stick I'm not sure what would need to be done to use the mysql. And if we will have to change over to mysql eventually. I don't plan on having several devices using the same database.

The client runs on the stick and the MySQL server runs on the NAS (the NAS is basically another computer in another format). And if I understand what they are doing correctly, the current standalone SQLite method is not going away, it's just people with multiple setups will have the option/luxury of using a MySQL network based setup.

And I'm with ya with going NAS to get the computer (Mac mini media server for me) off my setup. Among other reasons, our electric company in Colorado is going to tiered pricing, jacking up prices, and I need to figure out a way to better conserve. Thus I'm looking at a NAS which offers "wake on lan" and hard disk spin down and scheduled on & off. But like you said, I too don't "own a bank" to do it so I'm still looking. Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ATV (Linux) + NAS0