Video jitter after resume from sleep...
Noticed an issue with XBMC on Windows 7, not sure if other platforms suffer as well.

I tend to put my HTPC to sleep (Hybrid Sleep, windows 7) while XBMC is running (but not doing anything) so I can resume to a watchable platform in about 4 seconds from a minimal power state.

The issue I am running into is after 3-4 cycles of this video playback is jittery and degrades to an unplayable level. If i simply close and restart XBMC all is well, no computer reboot is necessary. The videos are generally DVD rips at 720 x 480.

Is there any help for this, does anyone else experience this?

Specs:
Zotac Ion
2GB ram
Windows 7 (32-bit)
All Drivers current as of 6-25-2010
XBMC build 31364 (has been present in roughly 12 other builds as well starting with the last regular release
Do you mean a jitter like a field issue, or stutter like a frame drop?

Frame drops are viewable in the stats overlay... I know the button on my remote to turn them on. It shows CPU usage, codec, frame size etc.

If it's dropping frames maybe the general system performance is below par and it's not so much an XBMC problem.
Though, restarting XBMC fixes the problem it would be still interesting to check frame drops and CPU usage while playing. And also see which decoder is being used - VDPAU vs CPU etc.

Jack
CPU usage is 25% with 4 total dropped frames for 43min video. It's not a normal frame drop looking issue.. it's almost like the video is laggy. Hard to really explain, best to see it with a small object like a ship on DS9 flying by a black star field, the ship jumps but still reports no (or insignificant) dropped frames.

Like I said on a fresh start of XBMC the unit plays everything, even 1080p BD with 1.5MB DTS audio smooth as silk, maybe i will create a small program to close and restart XBMC on command of the4 remote.
It's not turning on interlacing or something is it?

I think bob/weave have that weird flicker effect on non interlaced material on a progressive display.
Hrm... if you mean in the driver no.. according the the display and the amp the signal is 1080p all the time.
Update: Issue still exists in SVN 31746
Hi,

i have the same Problem at my XBMC-Client. Hardware: Q6600 Quadcore Pentium, 4GB Ram, NVidia 9600. Running System: Windows 7. It happens only after Wakeup from Hibernate and XBMC is still running. A XBMC-Restart solves the Problem... is there any Chance for a Fix in the next Version? Or is there a script for a Automated XBMC-Restart after Wakeup from Hibernate?

Cheers from Germany
Mike
I just wanted to say that I have the same issue.

Jeremy Roberts
I posted a ticket to the trac for this:

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/10628

It seems to be related to the issues talked about in this thread and it looks like there is a lot of progress being made. Hopefully it will be fixed by the next Dharma release (beta 5/RC 1.)
running Dharma B4 and using the OSX version I have experienced the same thing. Restarting XBMC is enough to make the problem disapear. I do not have to reboot the machine. Runnig a mac mini late 2009 BTW
MBP late 2009 - TimeCapsule 2TB - Harmony One+ - Readynas NV+ 8TB RAID5 - Mac Mini late 2009 with 10.9.0 and VDA - Panasonic TX-PG420ES -
I'd like to throw in that I think I have the same issue that people are describing here, but for me it's not related to the system going to sleep at all. My system runs some server processes as well and never goes into sleep mode. I usually just notice it a day or two after I've started xbmc that playing videos is getting stuttery in panning/action scenes. Like others, just shutting down and restarting xbmc (not the pc) solves the issue.
I don't think its just panning scenes. I can see it at the start of most movies during the studio emblem pan. But even when two people are just walking down the street in a scene.

I've had this same problem for a long time. Always using go to sleep and back to see the problem, but the trick is that its not reproducable everytime. it can be days before it happens. I've shutdown anything that runs on the PC other than eventghost and xbmc. even windows updates don't run. I've seen the issue with Vista and Win7 64-bit. Wondering if its an nvidia related issue. My PC has nvidia onboard video card

Win7 64-bit. Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H with Core2 Quad CPU Q9950, 4GB RAM, onboard GeForce 9400 VDA. HDMI video output and optical for sound. To Samsung LN-46B750.

XBMC Dharma Beta 3 is the latest I've experienced it. Just upgraded to B4 so we'll see.

CPU is not over 25%, RAM is negligible. No dropped frames. Tried changing different display settings for VDA as well as XBMC.
Just adding that there is no change with even the latest builds in this....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video jitter after resume from sleep...0