Can't get dynamic range, or external players to work
Question 
Hi again!

Still working on getting my XBMC (v9.11) install where I need it to be. Mine's a big fast HTPC with a nvidia GPU going to an HDTV. I'm having problems with video playback quality. Videos just look dark. I'm quite sure its because my HDTV uses limited dynamic range (16-235) instead of the full range of 255. I can adjust this in my nvidia control panel and it fixes it for all my other video players. I've looked for a way to set this natively but I think its only available on the bleeding edge SVN and doesn't work there. The rewal root of the problem I suppose is the nvidia driver sees XBMC as a 3D app and not a video app and so doesn't apply it's driver level settings. Doesn't appear to be a way to override that thru the NVIDIA control panel. Sad

Well it looks great in VLC, and so I attempted to configure xbmc to use VLC as the external player. I'm using the advancedsettings.xml method and here is my code:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
<video>
  <defaultplayer>externalplayer</defaultplayer>
</video>
<externalplayer>
  <filename>C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe</filename>
  <args>-f</args>
  <forceontop>true</forceontop>
  <hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
  <hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
  <hidecursor>false</hidecursor>
</externalplayer>
</advancedsettings>

I've got it saved in my user's AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\advancedsettings.xml

But Lo, XBMC still doesn't use VLC and my video is all dark and Russel Crow in Gladiator looks like Leonidas in the 300. No

Plesae help.
Try using the playercorefactory method described here.
Remember that there are two ways to run XBMC, portable and standard. Portable mode basically just means that all userdata is stored in the %ProgramFiles%\XBMC folder instead of of the Appdata folder. If the shortcut's target (look in properties) ends with "-p" then it is running in portable mode.

Win7 64-bit | AMD Athlon X2 4850e | 780G Chipset | 2 GB RAM | ATI Radeon 3200 | XBMC 10.0

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can't get dynamic range, or external players to work0