Google TV hardware (Intel Atom CE4100 chipset) hacked to run XBMC?
Hannes The Hun Wrote:now I'm really puzzled how to switch the box on and off...
Maybe it's the Tivo method - you don't turn it off!
tennisbgc Wrote:Unfortunatly thats an older pic and they redesigned it without the power button. they also used to have a usb in the front and now its just 2 in the back.I still feel like the boxee box remote is lacking some quick acess buttons like and info button etc.
I think agree on the lack of a couple more buttons on the front. I love the simplicity of the front of the remote (easier for my girlfriend and my kid to use it), I love that the qwerty is on the back (as it won't be used for most of the time so doesn't clutter up the remote when not using it) but wish it had an enqueue button (i mainly use XBMC to listen to my music collection) a stop button and maybe a context menu button.
Using XBMC since way back, XBMP days!
okay, just to switch this thread back from the boxee remote to google TV:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/22/sony-...away-from/
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
and now let's have a look at what's inside of the logitech box:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/25/logit...found-wit/

details/source: http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Logitech-...own/3788/1

- intel Atom CE4150 CPU (let's hope they really integrated some decent GPU decoding here)
- 1GB DDR3 RAM
- 5GB NAND Flash [1GB samsung & 4GB hynix]
- Silicone Image HDMI 1.3 transmitter
- atheros b/g/n wlan
- realtek 10/100Mbit LAN
- nordic semiconductor wireless transmitter for keyboard

so, nothing fance here, mostly netbook hardware from around 2008. *if* intel finally release a decent linux driver for the integrated "HD" graphics, we might have a fine XBMC box here. as soon as somebody gets access to the bootloader, of course Wink
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
GJones Wrote:I think folks are fairly confused. Google TV is software.

Actually no. Its not. Its hardware, with software. Its Android, with some extra TV functionality added. Google have specifications for what kind of hardware they will allow the TV extensions to run on (for instance it must have both HDMI IN and out).
When the Market opens on Google TV next year you can start installing apps from the market, and someone could make one called XMBC - if it could do what the PC version can do remains to be seen, since they haven't released the API for the TV part yet.

GJones Wrote:The Logitech Revue is a hardware implementation of Google TV (like the difference between Android and a Droid X). Logitech and google are being fairly sketchy about all the details, but it seems that the Revue attempts to directly pull Internet content (YouTube, Netflix) or to control other equipment (Dish) to present the material through the passthrough.

As you probably know by now, it has a Chrome browser to let you go where you like on the net (with Flash included), and apps can go online as well.
deleted.
juntistik, did you actually have a look at the thread you are posting in, or did you just stumble about it with google?
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
One more thing about the comparison of VDPAU and Intel CE4100, CE4100 does the deinterlace with hardware, while VDPAU is doing it in software. If you turn on the deinterlace in XBMC, the frame rate will drop with some low end GPUs. The deinterlace result was not very good either no matter what NVidia has to say about their deinterlace scheme. So if I have a choice, I will go with CE4100 for XBMC.
"open" CE4100 boxes will come from both acer and asus in first half of 2011

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/computers/idf-...edded/3833

so we'll have something to play with Wink

also kinda interested in this windows media center embedded but I don't think it will convert me from XBMC
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
AC Ryan Fluxx media player announced is also CE4150 no idea how open it will be.
would be interesting to know what kind of OS and media player these guys hacked together inside the 2GB NAND Flash. and, of course, how to flash an XBMC live image onto it Wink
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Are these open boxes going to have to run Android, or will generic Linux work?
android? if you're talking about the acer and asus CE4100 boxes, if you'd followed my link, you'd seen that they'll sport win7 MCE embedded, and my best guess would be that all you'll need to get "generic linux" onto it is an ubuntu boot CD.
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
I just read that XBMC now works on AppleTV (which is pretty amazing btw). I am thinking of buying one unless someone knows if it's possible to run XBMC on GoogleTV or if it may be possible in the near future.
jtadeo Wrote:I just read that XBMC now works on AppleTV (which is pretty amazing btw). I am thinking of buying one unless someone knows if it's possible to run XBMC on GoogleTV or if it may be possible in the near future.
Dont waste your time bying an Apple TV gen2 to run XBMC. It works, but
nothing like when it runs off a computer or linux based system. It's really
slow and annoying.. Hacking the Apple TV was not an issue... And installing
XBMC was very easy. But it's really slow.. not worth it.. I'm returning it the
Apple TV today! And just grabbing a WD box for my room Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Google TV hardware (Intel Atom CE4100 chipset) hacked to run XBMC?0