[WINDOWS] - Disable DXVA2 for SD resolutions
It would be really useful, especially with the speed increases to the DX shaders to be able to disable DXVA2 on SD resolutions. Meaning lanczos3optimized etc can be used to scale the video up.

I think it would be great to be able to do it on a per-codec basis Perhaps something like this:

<DXVA2MPG2>true</DXVA2MPG2>
<DXVA2MPG2SD>false<DXVA2MPG2SD>
<DXVA2H264>true</DXVA2H264>
<DXVA2H264SD>false<DXVA2H264SD>
<DXVA2VC1>true</DXVA2VC1>
<DXVA2VC1SD>false<DXVA2VC1SD>

Defining SD would be tricky, but I would imagine, anything with a horizontal resolution of less than - 800 would work. As then 4:3 720p vids would get dxva2. And I doubt theres many 720p vids narrower than 4:3.

Alternatively perhaps a:

<DXVA2MinimumHorizontal>800</DXVA2MinimumHorizontal>

A vertical setting might be useles as 1:2.35 720p videos are 1280*544 ish, and SD dvds are 720*576 in the case of PAL, so there is overlap vertically, but typically not with horizontal resolutions.

Again, only an idea.
How about hooking up the scalers to the dxva output instead.
bobo1on1 Wrote:How about hooking up the scalers to the dxva output instead.

awesome! looking forward to it!Big Grin (i'm guessing that was a hint for what to look forward to?)
Yes, that's the plan but feature freeze and the next release are looming so don't bet on it...
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
ok, thanks for keeping us mortals up-to-date.
I tried it and it's not so interesting. Results are most likely different on other HW of course.

The DXVA scaler on ATI 4550 provides Lanczos3 like quality and is faster than our shader (or is it because there is one more step in the chain?)

Also, I don't know if my card is underpowered for this or if there is something inherently inefficient, but playback wasn't 100% smooth - lots of small stutters.

I'm thinking about using the DXVA scaler in place of our own now Smile
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Does Nvidia have a DXVA scaler which is HQ? Because with bilinear it's not so great. Fine for 720p -> 1080p, but SD really shows the jaggies.

I can grab screens if you're interested.
Don't know, I don't have one. nVidia with VP4 is supposed to get a better quality scaler than previous generations.
I'll post the patch for people to try it and give feedback.

You can compare yourself - play with DXVA, grab. Play with Lanczos3 and no DXVA, grab. Compare.
edit: out of curiosity, yes I'd like to see side by side nVidia DXVA scaler and Lanczos3. Please specifiy which kind of nVidia you have.
you're right. DXVA scaler on the newer cards (gt240) is similar to lanczos3optimized.

I want to grab a few more screens, then I'll upload them. Gonna try my ION.

There isn't much difference between dxva on a gt240 and software, but there is a bit of difference between an ION-dxva and software. It's a bit softer, lanczos is sharper.

Is there anyway to link to the sharpness control in the nvidia/ati control panels through xbmc?

Have you thought about changing the scaling label under dxva from "bilinear" to "DXVA" as it's different for each card perhaps changing the label would be worthwhile?

Depending on the difficulty of patching it in, perhaps when playing using DXVA, you could cycle between "DXVA Scaling" and the others, with AUTO automatically going to DXVA?

ION-DXVA
ION-Lanczos3Optimized
GT240-DXVA
GT240-Lanczos3Optimized
ION-DXVA looks like bilinear to me.
I would agree, so the ion uses bilinear (or something similar) and the gt240 and hd4550 use something more like lanczos but all currently come under a "bilinear" on the gui/osd, is that an issue? Should the name be something more loosely defined?
neil.j1983 Wrote:...
Is there anyway to link to the sharpness control in the nvidia/ati control panels through xbmc?

Same question over here.
I noticed that sharpening on SD-Content could sometimes improve the visual quality, better than upscaling.
neil.j1983 Wrote:It would be really useful, especially with the speed increases to the DX shaders to be able to disable DXVA2 on SD resolutions. Meaning lanczos3optimized etc can be used to scale the video up.

I think it would be great to be able to do it on a per-codec basis Perhaps something like this:

<DXVA2MPG2>true</DXVA2MPG2>
<DXVA2MPG2SD>false<DXVA2MPG2SD>
<DXVA2H264>true</DXVA2H264>
<DXVA2H264SD>false<DXVA2H264SD>
<DXVA2VC1>true</DXVA2VC1>
<DXVA2VC1SD>false<DXVA2VC1SD>

Defining SD would be tricky, but I would imagine, anything with a horizontal resolution of less than - 800 would work. As then 4:3 720p vids would get dxva2. And I doubt theres many 720p vids narrower than 4:3.

Alternatively perhaps a:

<DXVA2MinimumHorizontal>800</DXVA2MinimumHorizontal>

A vertical setting might be useles as 1:2.35 720p videos are 1280*544 ish, and SD dvds are 720*576 in the case of PAL, so there is overlap vertically, but typically not with horizontal resolutions.

Again, only an idea.

Add this as a feature request! http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_submi...re_request

I really like this idea since the SD content atm is very blurry compared to what I my self are used to, I own a TviX-4100 and its up-scaling is superior to what the ION chip is doing as default.

I also would like to see some kind of sharpness control for SD content if possible.
If possible, I would like the devs to implement the dxvadecoder -> shaders. As this would allow dxva decoding and nice resizing, even wih 720p scaled to 1080p content.

I think it would be great to be able to switch between auto bilinear,bicubic,lanczos2,lanczos3optimized and dxva scaling methods. That way they are available for all videos.

It would be a more harmonious approach than currently having only 'bilinear' under dxva and all the others for software. I suppose it would be a little more like the linux approach.

But it's not really up to me.
CrystalP, is there any chance you will patch in support for the higher quality scalers when using dxva decoding?

If you aren't going to commit it, do you have a .diff which I could compile with myself?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] - Disable DXVA2 for SD resolutions0