Read separate multiple genre tags for music
I find the best way of adding multiple genres to my mp3s is to add extra genre tags under "extended tags" for each file.

(Mp3tag, for example will write these automatically if // is used between tags in the main tag field).

However, XBMC will not pick up on these extra genre fields from extended tags. Is there any possibility of this in the future?

The currently required "/" separator works fine for XBMC usage but looks horrible in some other software, or on most MP3 players. The huge advantage of the extended tags route is that on a MP3 player only the first (main) genre will be shown, while a program that reads the extended tags will pick up the multiple genres.

Thanks!
I suggest you:

1. Find whatever standard is being used (I doubt there's any, so just see what *most* software uses - try at least 3 pieces of well known tagging software.)

2. Document it.
3. Either do a patch (see ID3Tag.cpp) or add a ticket to trac with very clear details as well as sample mp3 files with these tags.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Thanks jmarshall - I'll get on the case Smile

I will be submitting a ticket to trac - do you think this should go under "feature request" or "bug report"?
Feature request.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Done : 9951

Thanks Smile
Is the semicolon delimiter valid?
i.e., AlternativeRock;Compilation;Alternative
Alienware X-51: 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD C drive, 12T RAID, Win 8, XBMC 12.1, Nox
MacPro 1,1, 2 x 2.66GHz Dual-Core Xeon, 12GB RAM, 500GB C drive, 1.5T 2nd HD, OS X 10.6.8, XBMC 12.1, Nox
Precision 7500: 2 x 2GHz, 30GB RAM, 500GB C drive, 2TB 2nd HD, Win 8, XBMC 12.1, Confluence
Arcade Cabinet
Hey there !

I came on this section of the forum to make a feature request and i see that the subject was reactivated recently for the same reason i'm here.

There is no clearly defined standard for this, but it seems there is 2 way admitted depending on the software used. For example Windows Media Player or Foobar on Windows, Poweramp on Android recognize the semicolon (for software i use, certainly other too)
Actually XBMC support only the "/" (slash) separator, but not the ";" (semicolon)...

It would be very great if XBMC could support the both way for separate multiple value in id3 tag !
ID3v2.4 (and 2.3 I think?) supports separated lists directly in the tags. i.e. it's not clear whether or not other apps are actually writing tags using a separated list or whether they're writing a single value that happens to be separated by some character. Obviously if they do the former this would be way, way, better. Other tags (vorbis, ape etc.) also support lists in tags, so there's really no excuse.

The separator in XBMC is definable via advancedsettings.xml - atm you can only have one, but I wouldn't see a problem of expanding it to more than one, so a patch would be welcome for that . The only problem is you need a single one for concatenation for display in the UI.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Oh yeah, i don't know this possibility. You saved my life ! Wink
So, for me it's ok like that, but maybe a solution for support more than one separator can be great too.

Anyway, thanx for the tips !
I ended up retagging using the "/" separator and defining it in advancedsettings.xml. Took some work, but it works nicely
Alienware X-51: 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD C drive, 12T RAID, Win 8, XBMC 12.1, Nox
MacPro 1,1, 2 x 2.66GHz Dual-Core Xeon, 12GB RAM, 500GB C drive, 1.5T 2nd HD, OS X 10.6.8, XBMC 12.1, Nox
Precision 7500: 2 x 2GHz, 30GB RAM, 500GB C drive, 2TB 2nd HD, Win 8, XBMC 12.1, Confluence
Arcade Cabinet
I'm trying to get the semi-colon working via advancedsettings.xml as Picard uses this via it's Last fm tags plugin.

This is the contents of my xml file. I have rebooted, but it's still showing about a thousand tags, ie "Classic Rock; Pop Rock; Soft Rock;" rather than "Classic Rock" then "Pop Rock" etc

Code:
<advancedsettings>
     <musiclibrary>
     <itemseparator>; </itemseparator>
     </musiclibrary>
   </advancedsettings>

Is there anything else I need to do?
BUMP

Any help from anyone. I am having the same issue.

Done the same changes as above in advancesettinhs.xml but does not working... helpppppppppppppppppppp
Me too, not working.
It might have something to do with spacing? My genres are tagged as "Rock; Metal; Doom Metal", with no space before the separator.
It's such a shame this doesn't work, or rather I couldn't get it to work for me.

I'm looking at the prospect of tagging all my music with a single genre tag per album. Well if anyone is reading this and could tell me what I'm going wrong I'd be very grateful.
A slash as a separator works for me, so something like:

Code:
Rock / 80's

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Read separate multiple genre tags for music0