VLC as axternal player
Hi there,

since I was experiencing problems with the deinterlacing when playing TV recordings as well as DVD, I have now switched to VLC as external player. Since it took me quite some time to find the right command line parameters, I would like them to share (just in case someone else is having the same difficulties..):

<player name="VLC" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
<filename>c:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe</filename>
<args> --qt-minimal-view --no-qt-name-in-title --no-qt-video-autoresize --deinterlace=-1 --deinterlace-mode=linear</args>
<hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
<hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
<warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
</player>

I am still having the problem that when VLC is closing I am having a black screen and only after I press the left mouse button the XBMC menu is visible again. Maybe someone has an idea...
Try with System\System\Video\Use A fullscreen window rather than a true fullscreen checked. Also after checking that option try reverting to the wiki setting of 'false and false' in <hidexbmc> and <hideconsole>.
Thank you very much! The suggested setting solved my problem!!
I have made some more improvements which might be interesting for other people to know. When listening to music I want to use the speakers which are connected to the stereo, and for video playback I want to use the HDMI playback device as audio device. So I was looking for a way to change the default audio device depending the media I want to play.
I managed to do so by making two settings for two external players in the playercoreconfigs:

<args> --qt-minimal-view --no-qt-name-in-title --no-qt-video-autoresize --deinterlace=-1 --deinterlace-mode=linear</args>
<hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
</player>

<player name="VLC_Audio" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="true" video="false">
<args> --directx-audio-device-name="Lautsprecher (VIA High Definition Audio)"</args>

And in the advanced settings I made following adjustments:

<video>
<defaultplayer>VLC</defaultplayer>
</video>

<audio>
<defaultplayer>VLC_Audio</defaultplayer>
</audio>

The exact name of the direct x output device depends on the name of the device you want to use. It is quite easy to find out: Using the VLC GUi it is quite simple to change the output device.Go to Settings->audio. When you choose direct x output you can select the different devices. The settings only take effect after restart!!
These settings are stored in a file which can be found at c:\Users\[usre]\AppData\Roaming\vlc\ The file is called vlcrc. Search for he tag aout. There is name of the chosen device. From there you can copy and paste it!

In my case the default setting in the gui is the HDMI output. And only listening to music the output device is set to the speakers.
Will this suggestion be valid for Dharma Beta 3?

steelman1991 Wrote:Try with System\System\Video\Use A fullscreen window rather than a true fullscreen checked. Also after checking that option try reverting to the wiki setting of 'false and false' in <hidexbmc> and <hideconsole>.
Not needed, the black screen problem was fixed.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
CrystalP Wrote:Not needed, the black screen problem was fixed.

Yes, I have to say thank you for this. Launching Windows Media Player to play my HandyCam files now works much smoother!
tobif2000 Wrote:I have made some more improvements which might be interesting for other people to know. When listening to music I want to use the speakers which are connected to the stereo, and for video playback I want to use the HDMI playback device as audio device. So I was looking for a way to change the default audio device depending the media I want to play.
I managed to do so by making two settings for two external players in the playercoreconfigs:

</player>

<player name="VLC_Audio" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="true" video="false">
<args> --directx-audio-device-name="Lautsprecher (VIA High Definition Audio)"</args>

And in the advanced settings I made following adjustments:

<video>
</video>

<audio>
<defaultplayer>VLC_Audio</defaultplayer>
</audio>

The exact name of the direct x output device depends on the name of the device you want to use. It is quite easy to find out: Using the VLC GUi it is quite simple to change the output device.Go to Settings->audio. When you choose direct x output you can select the different devices. The settings only take effect after restart!!
These settings are stored in a file which can be found at c:\Users\[usre]\AppData\Roaming\vlc\ The file is called vlcrc. Search for he tag aout. There is name of the chosen device. From there you can copy and paste it!

In my case the default setting in the gui is the HDMI output. And only listening to music the output device is set to the speakers.

I'm finding this way to use external player very helpful but have one question. Once the VLC player is configured in XBMC and playing mp3 file what's the way to stop it? When i try to close it it opens again with the next mp3 file...
lb_ebay Wrote:I'm finding this way to use external player very helpful but have one question. Once the VLC player is configured in XBMC and playing mp3 file what's the way to stop it? When i try to close it it opens again with the next mp3 file...

This is a problem with using external players for music. By default when a track finishes XBMC tries to play the next track (you can change this from System settings, Music, Playback). The trouble is with an external player there's no way for XBMC to know whether the player is closing because track has finished or because you've pressed stop, so it always immediately attpts to play the next track.

If you press stop to close the external player then quickly press stop again, then if you time it right it will stop XBMC playing the next track. It's not an elegant solution though.

JR
Because I didn't see these in this thread and it took me forever to find out

in

add '--fullscreen' for vlc to automatically go full screen
add '--extraintf http' if you use the http interface for remote control
add '--play-and-exit' Exit when video is finished so it can continue on to others in the queue or just to bring XBMC back

To set VLC as the default player
in %appdata%\XBMC\userdata create advancedsettings.xml

type

<advancedsettings>
<video>
</video>
</advancedsettings>

(there could be a typo as I'm not copy pasting this)

I haven't tried this yet, but you could possibly set <hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc> to true so the screen doesn't flash bringing xbmc back.

There could be better ways of doing this, but I'm an xbmc noob and this is how I got it working
I'm new to all this configuration business - hope someone can help.

I simply want to be able to switch to VLC when I select on right click the Play using option.

I don't want vlc as the default player.

Can someone give clear instructions on how to do this - which files need amending or creating (assuming I use the code in post 1)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VLC as axternal player1