Cyberlink Remote 'Back' button not working during video playback
Apologies if this has been covered but I have searched high and low and haven't managed to find a fix for this specific problem.

I have the cyberlink remote and IR receiver and am running XBMC V9.11 on Windows XP X86. By simply plugging in the IR receiver and letting it install automatically all the main playback buttons on the remote work in XBMC. The 'Back' button works when navigating menus etc but when I'm watching a movie and press the select or menu button to bring up the OSD the 'Back' button (or any others) won't remove the OSD. I also tried the eventghost config from another thread but that didn't enable it either (in event ghost, pressing the back button comes up as HID.Input. 13 if that helps).

I also have an Xbox1 controller modded to work on the PC using XBDRC drivers and all the buttons work but scrolling is laggy and annoying. The cyberlink remote is nice and responsive but it's just the back button during playback that's a problem. I'm not bothered about all the other buttons working. If anyone has any advice it would be most welcome.
IIRC the back button on the Cyberlink sends a Backspace keystroke i.e. exactly as if you pressed the Backspace key on the keyboard. I don't think Backspace closes the OSD, though I'm away from my HTPC at the moment and can't check.

There are various ways round this. If you have a button on the Cybertlink that sends an Escape keypress then this will close the OSD. Alternatively you can create a custome keyboard.xml to map Backspace to the OSD action in the FullScreenVideo section.

Incidentally the MCE remote support in Dharma is vastly better than in v9.11.

JR
Thanks for your reply. I've tested both the Backspace and Esc keys and both remove the video OSD during playback. I installed eventghost and added the 3 HID mouse plugins and the keyboard plugin as suggested in another thread but it's the same. I also tried the latest dharma build. Looking at the eventghost log and comparing actual keystrokes to button presses on the cyberlink remote, buttons like 'OK' and 'Enter' on the remote generate the same log entry as pressing the enter key on the keyboard but when I press the 'Back' button on the remote it generates a log entry 'HID.Button.13' instead of 'Backspace'.

Is it possible to assign HID inputs in keymap.xml? Or is there an eaiser way around it?
Hmm, try using Showkey from mceremote.zip from http://xbmcmce.sourceforge.net/ to see what keystroke the Back button is sending.

JR
Showkey displays the Back button as "AppCmd WM_APPCOMMAND 1: Navigate backward"
guando Wrote:Showkey displays the Back button as "AppCmd WM_APPCOMMAND 1: Navigate backward"

Aha! The Back button isn't sending a keystroke at all, it's sending a Windows message known to us programmer dudes as WM_APPCOMMAND, which is a way for multimedia applications to be sent commands.

The bad news is that the action for the WM_APPCOMMANDs is hard coded into XBMC and can't be changed. In the case of the "navigate back" command the XBMC action is to go to the parent directory, which is normally what you'd expect the Back button to do.

The reason that the backspace key on the keyboard closes the OSD is that when playing a video the standard XBMC key mapping maps backspace to the "FullScreen" action and this closes the OSD. The WM_APPCOMMAND actions are fixed and can't be given different actions in different bits of XBMC.

So the Back button can't be made to close the OSD. It would be straightforward to configure some other button to close the OSD, but you'll need to install the Dharma beta to do this as v9.11 has only minimal support for MCE remotes.

JR
Thanks, that cleared that up....I've now installed today's build of the dharma beta...the cyberlink remote has a 'Clear' button that generates the same action as the delete key. To assign that button to close the OSD do I edit the keyboard.xml or remote.xml?

I'm thinking it would be easier to just buy an MCE remote if dharma has better built in support for it, is there a particular remote/IR receiver combo that you would recommend?
Thanks
guando Wrote:I'm thinking it would be easier to just buy an MCE remote if dharma has better built in support for it, is there a particular remote/IR receiver combo that you would recommend?
Thanks

Hmm, those of us who have sweated to provide MCE support in Dharma would say that Dharma has pretty good support for MCE remotes. The problem is that there is no such thing as a standard MCE remote and indeed there are at least four different classes of MCE remotes. See http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Usi..._with_XBMC for more on this issue.

If you want a "standard" remote then buy a Microsoft remote (from eBay as MS no longer make them) or a full compatible like the HP remote. http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Rem...ol_Reviews includes several remotes that are known to be MS compatible. Use the config from mceremote.zip and the remote will work fine with XBMC.

guando Wrote:Thanks, that cleared that up....I've now installed today's build of the dharma beta...the cyberlink remote has a 'Clear' button that generates the same action as the delete key. To assign that button to close the OSD do I edit the keyboard.xml or remote.xml?

Use ShowKey to see what the clear button sends. Post the results here (include any other buttons you want to use in XBMC) and I can tell you what to put in keyboard.xml.

JR
Thanks for the help, much appreciated. I think I'll just buy an MS MCE remote/receiver, it seems like it will be easier with future updates etc. I currently have another HTPC built into an antec fusion case using the built in imon receiver and MCE remote. That works fine with xbmc using the xbmc profile in the imon utility but i'm about to strip it down and sell it. I'm moving back to a regular tower PC tucked behind the TV hence the reason for finding another remote solution.

I've been using the XBMC software on the xbox 1 and now the PC for the past 5 or 6 years, it rocks! You guys have done an excellent job!
Just to give you another option, I have the cyberlink remote working 100% (every button) by disabling the Windows HID service (prevents the APPCOMMANDS registering) and using Intelliremote to learn the remote's button codes and translate them into keystrokes.
Thanks, I'll give that a go...I just ordered an MCE remote and receiver off ebay but it would be handy to have this one as a spare.
Mindzai, do you happen to have a saved profile for intelliremote that I could have a look at?
I'm not near my MC right now, but next time I am I'll see about uploading my profile Smile
I HAve the same remote. The trick here with this remote is to have the software "PowerDVD" installed. This has a little known driver for the USB IfRed recever. That is where most of the button mapping for windows comes from.

Now if you install EventGhost and download my key mappings for EventGhost.

You will get all full functions for XBMC. I Have taken a long time sorting and mapping my keys. And it will take you some time to get used to all of them.

http://www.oddsodz.com/dump/oddsodzkeys.rar

The Back button works as it should. And to close OSD and info pages. I Have mapped that to the "Radio" button on the remote.

Hope you get used to it.
Oddsodz thanks for the tip and upload, I installed PowerDVD 9 Ultra and plugged the IR receiver into several USB ports but it still picked up the windows drivers. I checked the PowerDVD install folder and I couldn't see anything in there that looked like driver files. What version of powerdvd are you using?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cyberlink Remote 'Back' button not working during video playback0