xbmc for ios4?
Folks,

Is anyone working on porting xbmc to the Apple iOS4? the only here I ask is we will lose the Appletv Platform if not....

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/...mored.html
A simple search would show you that the question has been asked and answered very clearly. Look up iPhone, iPad, etc.
lewis.donofrio Wrote:Folks,

Is anyone working on porting xbmc to the Apple iOS4? the only here I ask is we will lose the Appletv Platform if not....

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/...mored.html

Rumors are wonderful Smile The main problem is any platform running iOS4 falls under the Apple App Store entry conditions and last time I checked, the same conditions exist that prevent an App like XBMC from being added. So even IF XBMC was ported to iOS4, there's no way to get it installed under any device running the iOS4 platform. So it's all a mute point.

EDIT: The rumor of the new AppleTV using an AMD SoC is quite silly. Apple has a perfectly fine SoC right now called the A4 and I see zero reason for Apple to look outside for some other SoC chip to use in any AppleTV hardware update.
Well it could reach Cydia (bundled into a nice deb pkg). But I think the port would not be a priority for devs so it's unlikely.
a OS without a solid flash implementation is not very funny to work with ...
davilla Wrote:So even IF XBMC was ported to iOS4, there's no way to get it installed under any device running the iOS4 platform. So it's all a mute point.
It was mentioned but to make it clear this is not the case as you have third party app stores through jailbreaking, a process that has gotten as simple as entering a web-site.

A recent legal decision has also confirmed that doing this is not copyright-infringement or a breach of the DMCA act in the US - meaning there are no criminal repercussions for someone doing or recommending or facilitating someone doing this. At worst it can cause a termination of contract and mutual responsibilities with Apple.

The problem might be a lack of developer interest in doing this, understandible since it might demand alot of work for a somewhat limited amount of people wanting it.

Having a portable iPad double up as a portable media center able to connect to TVs anywhere would be cool however.

linuxluemmel Wrote:a OS without a solid flash implementation is not very funny to work with ...
What do you mean? XBMC isn't dependant on an OS implementation of flash right?
Kinseek Wrote:It was mentioned but to make it clear this is not the case as you have third party app stores through jailbreaking, a process that has gotten as simple as entering a web-site.

A recent legal decision has also confirmed that doing this is not copyright-infringement or a breach of the DMCA act in the US - meaning there are no criminal repercussions for someone doing or recommending or facilitating someone doing this. At worst it can cause a termination of contract and mutual responsibilities with Apple.

The problem might be a lack of developer interest in doing this, understandible since it might demand alot of work for a somewhat limited amount of people wanting it.

I discard jailbreaking as viable method to get XBMC installed. It's silly to require a user to void their device in order to install.
Kinseek Wrote:a process that has gotten as simple as entering a web-site.
Let's not overlook the fact that yes jailbreaking may be "so easy a caveman could do it' right now; it won't stay that way.

Apple is working diligently to close this vulnerability, and will do so with every jailbreaking vulnerability that they know of. Expecting users to perform a task that will be different month-to-month will be problematic to say the least.
HTPC Rig:
Acer Revo 1600 /Tira2 IR rcvr
NAS: UNRAID
And who know what else gets installed when you visit that web site. I for one don't want my mobile phone to need malware checkers and virus scanners to be functional. This is already starting to occur in the android community and as the Windows world will agree, this is a huge pain in the rear.
davilla Wrote:I discard jailbreaking as viable method to get XBMC installed. It's silly to require a user to void their device in order to install.

That sounds familiar... Apple TV? Wink
migueld Wrote:That sounds familiar... Apple TV? Wink

Patchsticking the AppleTV does not void anything as long as the box is not physically opened. Open it and you own it, problems and all.

Plus, my AppleTV's sit at home behind a firewall and they are not allowed to phone out Smile That, I cannot say about my mobile phone.
I'm not a huge fan of jailbreaking myself... last time I did so the phone became laggy, too many quirks, tethering apps are $30?? and couldn't do apple upgrades.
I think this thread comes down too "don't let us stop you doing it" but teamxbmc has no interest in it other than curiosity its certainly not worth the effort
Plex are doing it and even making money off it now, through the app store. Im guessing you could do the same.
RckStr Wrote:Plex are doing it and even making money off it now, through the app store. Im guessing you could do the same.

Not really same thing. The Plex app is a remote control and can also play content that is "served" from a remote Plex Media Server. I'm guessing that video content is transcoded to a format suitable for playback on the client device. This is not the same thing as running a full blown XBMC/Plex app on iOS4.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmc for ios4?0