[Live] - New to xbmc and Linux and have a few questions
I installed the Live version of XBMC so my HDD on an Acer Revo R3610. So far things seem to be working but I have a few newbie questions.

Is it possible to upgrade the Live version of XBMC? I think I have the latest 9.11 at the moment but wondered if it was possible to upgrade it to the latest svn version.

Also, I've been trying out a few skins and would like to try Aeon65 but it won't load for some reason. Is it not compatible with the Live version of XBMC I have installed?

I tried Aeon Showmix but that seems to crash frequently and I see that the project has been abandoned by the developer. After seeing Showmix and video of Aeon65 I find the original Aeon a bit plain in comparison so was would like to hear which versions of Showmix or Aeon65 these are most stable with the 9.11 Live XBMC.
to get the updated XBMC, you need a few steps:

exit out of XBMC (don't shutdown, it's to the left of that one)

login to the shell

sudo apt-get update
(you have to provide your password again the fist time sudo is used when you start a session)

sudo apt-get install python-software-properties
this one gives a short and easy method to add repositories

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc-svn/ppa
this is the line to make the development builds available

sudo apt-get update
gets your database current with the new package source

sudo apt-get install xbmc
this will update xbmc to the latest compiled version {edit: i have read that the latest-greatest svn isnt available via this, due to compile errors, a quick search will give you fairly easy instructions to grab it though} {edit2: ugh, upgrade command doesn't do what i thought.changed and tested on my system. and SVN is up-to-date via timeline}

I also recommend the following:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nvidia-vdpau/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-graphics-drivers-190
Recommended video driver for your system (my revo 1600 works very nicely on the 256 driver, but the forum officially recommends those)(just replace 190 with 256 if you want to use the latest)
Windows 7 - XBMC live Dualboot
Acer Aspire REVO R1600 - PS3 Remote
Nvidia ION LE 230
3GB Ram
wierd0n3 Wrote:sudo apt-get install xbmc
this will update xbmc to the latest compiled version {edit: i have read that the latest-greatest svn isnt available via this, due to compile errors, a quick search will give you fairly easy instructions to grab it though} {edit2: ugh, upgrade command doesn't do what i thought.changed and tested on my system. and SVN is up-to-date via timeline}
Thanks for the comprehensive instructions. Just a little confused by the step above. Does it not work as it is written or have you now edited it so that it works? In your edit 2 you say you changed and tested on your system and svn is up to date via timeline. What is timeline?
Just do everything in italics as written but first do this
Code:
sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list/xbmc.list.list
This off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure that's it
And then do this at the end
Code:
sudo apt-get install xbmc-live
Press THANK USER if I Help
Thanks. i'll give that a try later this evening hopefully.
Acer Revo R3610 | 2GB Ram | 160GB HDD
XBMCbuntu Frodo installed to HDD
Logitech Harmony One Remote
I meant to use it like that, i typed it in to say 'upgrade' the first time i typed it out, then i went in and tested it, figured out that upgrade didnt work like i thought, and fixed the instructions.

it should work as it is now written

timeline referrs to the changelog timeline here

it shows everything updated and changed as well as Current SVN #
Windows 7 - XBMC live Dualboot
Acer Aspire REVO R1600 - PS3 Remote
Nvidia ION LE 230
3GB Ram

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Live] - New to xbmc and Linux and have a few questions0