Any way to hide the taskbar button in windows xp?
I have been using XBMC for a few months now and absolutely love it. I run it on a Windows XP PC with a dual display. It is set up to boot to Monitor 2 (my TV). The only minor problem I am having is when XBMC boots up a button appears on the taskbar of Monitor 1 (my PC screen). Is there any way to get rid of that button entirely or (preferably) have an icon appear in the system tray when XBMC is running?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
There's a lot of software that might help you.
See for example or try a google search for "hide to tray freeware"
Just kill the explorer process. Bring it back with ctrl-alt-del, run, exploere >enter<.
while, your solution is one way to solve this question, i very much doubt he wants to cripple his pc in the process.

My suggestion is to look into various tools that can hide the taskbar entry. If you want to have it as part of the xbmc project feel free to submit a patch.
Malard, you are very correct. This is more of an annoyance than a major problem for me...I would rather not make any changes that may screw up my PC. I recently did a fresh install of Windows and have my system set up just the way I want it, except for this damn button on the taskbar...

I will try to look for a program that will help fix this issue when I get some spare time...in the meantime, anyone else have any suggestions? Anyone have a similar problem and can point me in the right direction as far as which programs may work well/which ones to stay away from?

Again, any help would be much appreciated. Thanks to everyone who has given me suggestions so far.
Oh my... You don't cripple your pc at all. By the kill explorer exe i just meant to end that task! Actually this is by far the safest thing to do and completely reversible in 1 second! Not to mention fiddling with registry is unrequired.
For over 13 years in IT business i've been fixing countless issues for my costumers. However if you think your pc/windows will go fubar by doing this disregard my post.
Just wanted to help.
Get Ultramon. It'll create a 2nd taskbar on the other screen, and put the buttons for windows that are on that screen onto the other one. Then, it won't be sitting on your primary window.
Why not enable auto hide under startmenu options ?
The normal XBMC log IS NOT a debug log, to enable debug logging you must toggle it on under XBMC Settings - System or in advancedsettings.xml. Use XBMC Debug Log Addon to retrieve it.
What about Taskbar Eliminator? I am using it ~2 years now, no problem at all.
My HTPC: http://hobring.esero.net/htpc.htm
Based on XP SP3
XBMC & GB-PVR for recordings

My projects:
MCE standby tool addon
SAF - HTPC codec pack
CrashX Wrote:Why not enable auto hide under startmenu options ?

hoborg Wrote:What about Taskbar Eliminator? I am using it ~2 years now, no problem at all.

Hes not trying to hide the taskbar he wants to stop xbmc appearing on the taskbar when its running on the second screen
StevenSeagull Wrote:Oh my... You don't cripple your pc at all. By the kill explorer exe i just meant to end that task! Actually this is by far the safest thing to do and completely reversible in 1 second! Not to mention fiddling with registry is unrequired.
For over 13 years in IT business i've been fixing countless issues for my costumers. However if you think your pc/windows will go fubar by doing this disregard my post.
Just wanted to help.

I dont think you understand, he wants to carry on using the computer while xbmc is running on the second monitor, but also wants to avoid the clutter of having the xbmc task showing on the taskbar,

taskbar eliminator looks like the right tool for the job.
Indeed.
(2010-08-26, 21:40)YodaEXE Wrote: Get Ultramon. It'll create a 2nd taskbar on the other screen, and put the buttons for windows that are on that screen onto the other one. Then, it won't be sitting on your primary window.

Thanks! This is a great trick and works because xbmc is running fullscreen, thus hiding the second taskbar.
Taskbar Eliminator isn't an option since it hides the entire taskbar, not just the single button.

It would be a great addition to allow xbmc to sit in the system tray instead of in the taskbar, especially for those who have xbmc permanently running on their second monitor (TV).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Any way to hide the taskbar button in windows xp?0