[SOLUTION] No init found. Try passing init= bootarg
OK i'm posting this here as a solution to anyone who may face the same issue i did today. XBMCLive Dharma has been working perfectly without issue for sometime but this morning i got up to find it crashed and the system completely unresponsive. I hard rebooted to be faced with a black screen and something of the like

No init found. Try passing init= bootarg

I had recalled something about ext4 filesystem issues before i rebooted and assumed, rightly so it happens, that an error had occurred on the internal filesystem. However fixing was NOT as easy as the identity of the problem and i couldn't, no matter what read, force a system filecheck of the internal harddrive.

The solution in the end was to use gparted.
1.Download and put gparted onto a thumb drive and boot
2.Get gparted to check your filesystem and
3. Reboot

Bingo, rebooted and everything was completely back to normal.

As this happened without any reason i can identify i thought it MAY happen to others like myself who have little experience with linux so posted this as a solution to anyone with an inoperable system like i did.
-= My Media Centre =-
ACER Revo R3610 | x2 1.5TB WD Caviar Green SATA Hard Drives (WD15EADS) | x2 2.0TB WD Caviar Green SATA Hard Drive ( WD15EARS ) | 3.5in Black eSATA USB Trayless SATA External Hard Drive Enclosure | Emprex 3009URF Wireless MCE Remote Control | XBMCLive Dharma Beta1
Thumbs Up 
I had an issue with running Ubuntu on Virtual Box, every time my computer goes to sleep, I always had filesystem issues on the virtual disk. Usually I would just run fsck and reboot... but one time it was really bad and I got this same error that you got. I was freaking out because of potential loss of data, but I found your solution, and add the gparted ISO as CD in the virtual machine settings. Loaded gparted, right clicked the affected drive and went to "Check" and then hit apply. This checked the filesystem and cleaned up all the issues. Rebooted and everything worked great! Thanks a millionBig Grin
This just saved my bacon!.....had a power cut on/off twice....live wouldn't boot AngryNo...job now fixed.Shocked

Thanks soooooooo much! Nod

K
LG OLED55BX6LB, Zidoo Z1000 Pro (ZDMC 20.2 Arctic Zephyr 2 Resurrection), Yamaha RX-A3060, Polk Signature Fronts & Centre, Wharfedale D300 Atmos surrounds, Heco Victa Prime Sub 252A, DSPeaker Antimode 8033 Cinema
Worked for me too!

Some additional explanation for those who need it:

I've downloaded the Gparted live iso and made my USB stick bootable with Unetbootin.

Changed my bios settings on my XBMC machine to boot from USB

plugged in the USB and started the machine.

chose the options:
Gparted Live (default settings)"
then
Don't touch my Keymap
then
then

After booting, Gparted auto starts

Select the partition with filesystem ext4
In the menu (or right click the partition) Choose Partition -> Check
Then in the menu go to Edit --> Apply All Operations
A general warning pops up, click Apply
when finished checking, click Close

Close Gparted and go to exit to shutdown the machine.

Remove the USB drive

Power on the machine and reset the boot sequence back to normal

exit and save and power back on again. You should be fine then.

Worked for me!

Thank you very much
I just wanted to say thank you so much for this! Completely fixed me system
fiu!!! you are my hero, everything is back to normal
Thumbs Up 
Thanks! Did the job for me too.
Thank you guys for posting this solution. You have saved me from really going off the deep end and redoing the machine completely. Thank you. I'm saving my GParted disk for the future.
Thank you very much for this solution, it worked perfectly for me too.
Thank you!
My ubuntu is working after this.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[SOLUTION] No init found. Try passing init= bootarg0