How to Show .tbn Files as Thumbnails in Windows
I bet that you know that you can go into a folder in Windows XP, switch to Thumbnail view, and be presented with an icon of the first screen from a movie. It works for images as well. Unfortunately, it doesn't work for *.tbn files. Until now, that is.

1. Create a new text document.

2. Paste the following block of text into it.

Code:
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.tbn\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
@="{3F30C968-480A-4C6C-862D-EFC0897BB84B}"

3. Rename the file so that the extension is .reg (I named mine "tbn thumbnails.reg")

4. Double-click the file and you are all set. Windows XP will now see TBN thumbnails as images and create a windows thumbnail for them. You can see them in your folders on your computer.
Thanks!!!
Quite interesting. Thanks! Would this work for 7/Vista too?
yes it should iv been using this trick on win xp, win vista and win7 for years. im sure this should already be in the xbmc forum somewhere.
rudeboyx Wrote:yes it should iv been using this trick on win xp, win vista and win7 for years. im sure this should already be in the xbmc forum somewhere.

It is and coykiesaol has copied it word for word and seems to be taking the credit -

Calmiche Wrote:---------------------------------------
Seeing *.tbn files in Windows Explorer
---------------------------------------

I bet that you know that you can go into a folder in Windows XP, switch to Thumbnail view, and be presented with an icon of the first screen from a movie. It works for images as well. Unfortunately, it doesn't work for *.tbn files. Until now, that is.

1. Create a new text document.

2. Paste the following block of text into it.

REGEDIT4

3. Rename the file so that the extension is .reg (I named mine "tbn thumbnails.reg")

4. Double-click the file and you are all set. Windows XP will now see TBN thumbnails as images and create a windows thumbnail for them. You can see them in your folders on your computer.
Ooooo! thats just wrong, not even giving credit to the original poster.No
worked like a charm in W7 Wink
twinflower Wrote:worked like a charm in W7 Wink

Hi
in my w7 it doesn't work Sad
Did you something else?
Thanks
nabz Wrote:Hi
in my w7 it doesn't work Sad
Did you something else?
Thanks

It does work with windows 7 as i have been using it for many months try using my file http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3921965/thumb.reg
just left click the file and click yes to all prompts, ps i take no credit for this as i got this from the other thread ages agoSmile
XBMC Frodo 12 - Windows 7 - Asrock Ion 330HT - Aeon Nox
paul Wrote:It does work with windows 7 as i have been using it for many months try using my file http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3921965/thumb.reg
just left click the file and click yes to all prompts, ps i take no credit for this as i got this from the other thread ages agoSmile

Thanks paul, I don't know why but after restart it works... Confused
sorry to open an old thread but this is my first post and i followed nabz's dropbox link and ran the program and it did make my thumbnails show but also, since i did it most of my movies stutter very badly.

ive read lots of links about the stutter probs and tried lots of things to remedy but its a new problem and only occurs in xbmc (wmp is fine) and only occurs since i sorted the thumbnails.

could someone explain how i could 'undo' what the program did just so i can rule that out as a cause for the stuttering?

thanks,
lisa.

win7 64bit,
amd phenom 2, x4 955 at 3.2ghz
4gb ram
xbmc
night skin
i have restored to an earlier point which i think removed the thumbnail software but i still have the playback issue with stuttering. its extreme stuttering and only in xbmc, wmp works fine.
Hah, that's pretty funny!

I was searching for this because I recently reformatted to windows 7 and forgot how to do this.

Since people may see this first, here's the Windows Vista / Windows 7 Version:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

For some reason this took three tries to take in Windows 7 64-bit. You should be able to see it without restarting. Just go back to your folder containing TBN's and refresh. If they don't show up, try it again.
I've tried the suggested registry entry on 5 different machines ( 3 Win7x64 and 1 Vista and 1 XP) and only on the XP machine did I have success. I have been unable to make the tbns show in the Win7 preview pane or display the thumbnails in explorer. Is there a step I'm missing?

PS. I'm using this registry entry:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
OK, I have it working on one Win7x64 machines; logging off and then back on did the trick. Still not working on the other 2 Win7x64 machines but it is probably something is those systems preventing the preview. So, the registry change, as stated in the beginning of this thread, is all that is required.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to Show .tbn Files as Thumbnails in Windows0