Backspace functionality
I've asked this question in the Shade subforum as well, but no one seems to know the answer, so here goes...

I'm running Dharma Beta 1 and the current version of Aeon, and I have this problem. I've come across it on other skins (Shade), but I've never worked out why it appears on some skins and not others.

Here's the problem, if I select "TV Shows" from the home screen, wait for it to load then click 'Back' on my remote - instead of going back to the home screen, I get a sorting subscreen (Genre, Title, etc). It happens on any library, TV, Movies, Music...

I'm running an installation from the LiveCD (although I've had the same problem on the Linux version) and I'm using a Windows MCE remote. How do I get the back button to go back to the home screen instead?

This works fine on Confluence and some other skins.

Thanks for your help!
OK, so I've answered my own question.

Apparently it's down to the skin's designer to define what the back button does when in Library mode (back to main menu or filter screen).

I've worked out how to change it now so it does what I want Smile
gilphilbert Wrote:OK, so I've answered my own question.

Apparently it's down to the skin's designer to define what the back button does when in Library mode (back to main menu or filter screen).

thats great, how about posting how you solved it so others might be able to get the same result you have?

pay it forward

-=Jason=-
It's not actually the function of backspace that skinners can change (it's always 'up one directory') but we can skip the other sections by adding ,return to the Home screen selection. ESC is actually the 'Home' key.
gilphilbert Wrote:OK, so I've answered my own question.

How did you fix this? I don't want to take the keymap.xml approach - hoping you have some other magic you found Smile
I'm trying to do the same thing as the OP - Go back to the Home screen for Videos (instead of getting the sorting screen with genre, title, etc). I'm using the reFocus skin on Dharma Beta 2 OSX.

Can someone please help me figure out what I need to change on the keyboard.xml file?

I downloaded a copy from the wiki page and edited it but it's not working for me.
As I said before -

Press 'ESC' to go straight back to the Home screen

or

Add ,return to the command line in the skin's XML

ie <onclick>ActivateWindow(VideoFiles,return)</onclick>
Hitcher Wrote:As I said before -

Press 'ESC' to go straight back to the Home screen

or

Add ,return to the command line in the skin's XML

ie <onclick>ActivateWindow(VideoFiles,return)</onclick>

Thanks a lot for the reply Hitcher!

Sorry..I'm still a noob at editing this stuff. Can you tell me which is the "skin's XML", where I can find it under Dharma?

I tried downloading the skin.xml from the wiki, edited that and copied to the keymaps directory, but didn't work. also tried to edit the home, home menu, and home sub-menu xml's but didn't work....not sure where I'm going wrong.
johnny utah Wrote:Thanks a lot for the reply Hitcher!

Sorry..I'm still a noob at editing this stuff. Can you tell me which is the "skin's XML", where I can find it under Dharma?

I tried downloading the skin.xml from the wiki, edited that and copied to the keymaps directory, but didn't work. also tried to edit the home, home menu, and home sub-menu xml's but didn't work....not sure where I'm going wrong.

you need to tell us which skin you´re using, otherwise we can´t help you
(or better, ask in the subforum of your skin)
Donate: https://kodi.tv/contribute/donate (foundation), 146Gr48FqHM7TPB9q33HHv6uWpgQqdz1yk (BTC personal)
Estuary: Kodis new default skin - ExtendedInfo Script - KodiDevKit
phil65 Wrote:you need to tell us which skin you´re using, otherwise we can´t help you
(or better, ask in the subforum of your skin)

Hi Phil65, Thanks for replying.

Sorry, forgot to add...I'm using the latest reFocus skin on Dharma beta 2.
I posted on the sub-forum but didn't get a response on how to do it.

I tried all weekend, but couldn't get it to work...Sad although I'm sure it's easy for someone who knows the code well.
Sorry to bother...but I could really use some help here....it still doesn't work for me =(

I have a keymap.xml file in my userdata directory and under the <MyVideoLibrary> <Keyboard> section I added:

<backspace>XBMC.ActivateWindow(VideoFiles,return)</backspace>

didn't work.

I also tried:
<backspace>XBMC.ActivateWindow(MyVideos,return)</backspace>

also didn't work.

I want the backspace key on my keyboard to take me directly back to the videos submenu screen showing:
movies
tv shows
new movies
new episodes
etc.

Currently it always goes back through 2 additional screens before getting there:
genres
title
year
actors...etc

and then files view of the my videos screen...on the third backspace it goes back to the home menu.

Is it even possible to go back using the backspace key on the keyboard to the videos submenu screen?
Erm, I don't think you should be editing the keymap. You should be editing the line in home.xml.
timdog82001 Wrote:Erm, I don't think you should be editing the keymap. You should be editing the line in home.xml.

Ah! Ok....well...that would make a big diff then! Eek

Any idea what I need to edit home.xml so that the "backspace key" takes me back to the videos menu from the movies library?

Currently backspace goes back to the home menu. I would like to go from library view straight to the videos menu:

videos
tvshows
new episodes...etc.

I'm a noob at editing these files...I tried editing the keymap different ways but no success so far.

Again, this is in reference to Dharma beta 2, latest version of reFocus skin.
Ah, well that sounds like you would want to get RID of the ",return" part if I recall correctly...been a while since I've done any skinning though. Just open home.xml and do a search for ActivateWindow(myvideos . Then, if it has the return part listed, just delete it. I think that's what you're wanting anyhow...if may list a directory in the movies library after the "myvideos" part. If so, don't delete that. Just get rid of the return bit.
Sorry for bumping an old thread.

I want to avoid the Genres, Titles, Year, Actor, Studios section all together.

When I use my remote or keyboard from Movies/TV Shows it keeps going back to this when i use the Backspace / Back button.

I'm using the reFocus skin and don't quite know where to make changes...

Any help would be greatly appreciated Smile

Edit: I'm on EDEN RC1 in Windows Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Backspace functionality0