Acer Revo and Dharma beta 1 HDD issue
I installed Dharma beta 1 on my Acer Revo. I am running a dual boot system which boots directly into XBMC but also has Windows 7 on another partition. I want to be able to share my Windows 7 HDD with XBMC but I don't know how to share the drive.

Anyone know how to resolve this?
I think it would have to do with formating. I belive Live formats in ex3 or 4, what did you format the Win 7 partition? if its NTFC it might not be viewable locally

Drew
try to install NTFS-3G package
Noodle Wrote:try to install NTFS-3G package

I'm a total Linux noob, would the command be sudo apt-get install NTFS-3G
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ntfs-3g

However it will probably require some config and then some commands to make a mount point and have the NTFS auto mount

Drew

EDIT: I was just reading some of the ubuntu forms and newer versions of Linux should support this out of the box ie karmic and lucid

In add share explorer to your Volumes or the mount point of your drives and it might be listed
Drewdatrip Wrote:sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ntfs-3g

However it will probably require some config and then some commands to make a mount point and have the NTFS auto mount

Drew

EDIT: I was just reading some of the ubuntu forms and newer versions of Linux should support this out of the box ie karmic and lucid

In add share explorer to your Volumes or the mount point of your drives and it might be listed

I did that and it said that ntfs was newest version.

How do I
Drewdatrip Wrote:In add share explorer to your Volumes or the mount point of your drives and it might be listed
There are a few too many variables for me to give you an out right way to do this
First your going to have to determine if the NTFS partition is mounting already
That will determine what you might need to do.
I would recommend using some Google searches

Also we need to know what version of Linux you are using? Do you have a GUI or is it a more minimal install?
Live Distro? or more full XBMC?

Drew
I downloaded the xbmc-Dharma_beta1-live.iso from here

How do I determine if the NTFS partition is mounting already?
clubber lang Wrote:I downloaded the xbmc-Dharma_beta1-live.iso from here

How do I determine if the NTFS partition is mounting already?

You need to get into terminal:
from the machine press Ctrl+Alt+F1 or from a remote terminal ssh into it

type "sudo mount -l" and it will list all the devices and partitions that are mounted. If you see your NTFS partition mounted great you just have to add the source in XBMC, you will have to explore to where it is mounted to or it might be listed as a separate drive depending on how its mounted.
If the partition is not listed after you do the mount command
then do this:
"sudo cat /proc/partitions"
After that your gonna have to do some research on how to edit the "fstab" and how to add the partition to mount on boot.
Belive me im still a noob on this stuff as well and very recently i started learning just by searching google and on the forums here

Drew
I'm still stuck on trying to mount my internal NTFS HDD in XBMC. I've sorted the keyboard issues I was having by Putty'ing in to the system. When I type: sudo apt-get install ntfs-3g and I get

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
ntfs-3g is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 31 not upgraded.

I then typed: sudo mount -l and I get

rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
none on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
none on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,relatime,size=1410652k,nr_inodes=211868,mode=755)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
/dev/disk/by-uuid/a34f393b-10de-4b95-bf4a-a0b383f54778 on / type ext4 (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro,barrier=1,data=ordered)
none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,relatime)
none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,relatime)
none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw,relatime)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime)
none on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,mode=755)
none on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
none on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,mode=755)
/dev/sdb1 on /media/My Passport type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other,blksize=4096) [My Passport]
/dev/sr0 on /media/WD SmartWare type udf (ro,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=77,iocharset=utf8) [WD SmartWare]

I then typed: sudo cat /proc/partitions and I get

major minor #blocks name

8 0 156290904 sda
8 1 102400 sda1
8 2 130585600 sda2
8 3 1 sda3
8 5 24495104 sda5
8 6 1103872 sda6
8 16 976075776 sdb
8 17 976074752 sdb1

I am totally clueless as to what it all means. Can someone help?
try sudo fdisk -l for a slightly more readable interpretation of your detected disks/partitions.
kurai Wrote:try sudo fdisk -l for a slightly more readable interpretation of your detected disks/partitions.

Now I get this:

Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x023ad2da

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 13 102400 7 HPFS/NTFS
Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sda2 13 16271 130585600 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda3 16271 19458 25600001 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 16271 19320 24495104 83 Linux
/dev/sda6 19320 19458 1103872 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Disk /dev/sdb: 999.5 GB, 999501594624 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121515 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00052f35

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdb1 1 121516 976074752 7 HPFS/NTFS
Ok - we're getting somewhere useful now, I'm sure you'll be glad to know Big Grin

We know that Linux is seeing two harddrives ... sda and sdb

The partition sda1 will be the small Windows bootloader/recovery partition, sda2 will be your Windows install & filesystem.

In Linux you need to create a `mount point` - a directory in the local system where you can `attach` other filesystems.

Let's do sudo mkdir /media/windows

Now we need to mount/attach the Windows filesystem to this point ... sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/sda2 /media/windows

If that all works OK, and you can access your windows files from dir /media/windows let us know before we start talking about options to make the mounting automatic at boot and permissions etc Wink
kurai Wrote:Ok - we're getting somewhere useful now, I'm sure you'll be glad to know Big Grin

We know that Linux is seeing two harddrives ... sda and sdb

The partition sda1 will be the small Windows bootloader/recovery partition, sda2 will be your Windows install & filesystem.

In Linux you need to create a `mount point` - a directory in the local system where you can `attach` other filesystems.

Let's do sudo mkdir /media/windows

Now we need to mount/attach the Windows filesystem to this point ... sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/sda2 /media/windows

If that all works OK, and you can access your windows files from dir /media/windows let us know before we start talking about options to make the mounting automatic at boot and permissions etc Wink

That worked mate!

How do I now make it auto mount?
Just add it to the /etc/fstab file...

sudo nano /etc/fstab

add the following line at the end of the file :-

/dev/sda2 /media/windows ntfs defaults,auto 0 0

Ctrl-X to save and exit, confirm Yes to write the changes.

It should then mount at boot time.

You can check it worked by doing df -h after reboot, which will give you a list of mounted filesystems and their locations/sizes.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Acer Revo and Dharma beta 1 HDD issue0