(live) Should this work.....
Hi

After years on the xbox I moved over to a new (atom/Ion) system today. I'm using the Dharma 2 Beta Live - installed to disk. I have everything working except the remote. Should this Rosewill remote work "out of the box". If not please point me in the right direction. Everything I found talks about Lirc for linux but I'm not sure if that's needed with the live install.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...llFullInfo
Sorry cannot tell you specifically but it should work. I use a MCE remote and virtually everything worked with XBMCLive right out of the box with no separate config. I would assume MCE remotes would all send the same codes (while the buttons maybe slightly different from vendor to vendor)

PS - Many XBMC/HTPCers buy from newegg... read the user reviews. A number of people comment that this remote works with XBMC right out of the box. Check out page 3 of the user reviews, a couple mention it works with XBMC.
Thanks for the reply. I did see the reviews on Newegg, that's why I got that one but I still can't get it to work. So, I shouldn't need to install lirc or do any special configuration? Maybe its a bad remote....

Thanks again
Are you running dahrma beta 2 live from disk or did you install it? Or did you install the XBMC on top of the full version of ubuntu?

If you installed the live version...

Putty to xbmc and type in the command line: sudo lrw (not sure if you need sudo).

This will open and app that shows all signals being read by the PC... press some buttons and see if ANY button registers.
Thanks again for helping me....

I running dahrma beta 2 that I installed from a USB flash drive.

Using putty I login with name and password.

I tried lrw and got back
-bash: lrw: command not found

I tried sudo lrw and got back
sudo: lrw: command not found

I used the remote in my windows 7 laptop and it works so I know the remote is ok. I'll try re-installing XBMC and see if that helps. But ANY other ideas would be great.

Thanks
again.
Ok.... I re-did the install and ran Live off the USB. Nothing changed.

I did find the command is irw... I was using lrw. Now when I type in irw I get nothing back. No error but no output when the remote is used.

I do get four VERY fast errors right after the bios screen and one after the first XBMC splash screen. When I run the LIVE version I do see one error...something about "Error probing SMB1"

I tried the xbmc log file but not sure it will help. I can post it if you think it will help.

Thanks...don't give up on me.
ok if irw isn't showing anything, it either means it doesn't recognize the codes or getting any...

I am fairly certain the remote should work right out of the box with xbmc...

curious did you try to run live (don't install, just run) on your win 7 laptop? Just trying to isolate the hardware... maybe the live install doesn't have proper USB support for your ion system.

Have you moved the receiver to every USB port on the ION system (its been a while I have seen this be an issue, doesn't hurt to check.

If its some issue with the linux in the live install... sorry I am pretty much a linux noob and can't help much farther...

I would just try and cancel out a hardware issue first...
Ok....I've made some progress. I did a full install of Ubuntu 10.4 and I found this wiki http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MCE_Remote#Do..._using_CVS

I followed the directions and built lirc-0.8.7pre2 and tried irw again. For the first time I got codes back. It still doesn't working inside XBMC but I think I'm getting closer. I also need to autoload lirc_mceusb2 at startup.

Back to Google.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
(live) Should this work.....0