BETA 3 Won't install via USB for me
Downloaded beta 3 iso and installed to FAT32 formatted USB drive using unetbootin for windows. Boots fine, but when I choose to install to hard drive it asks me about detecting my keyboard by pressing keys, never seen that before, and then fails telling me I have no CD drive, which is true as I don't.

I've never had an issue like this before from 9.04 on. I've install Dharma betas 1 and 2 with no issues?

Any ideas?
I had this problem until I grabbed the latest version of unetbootin. I was using 419 and when I downloaded 494 I got through the beta 3 setup (I hadn't tried beta 1 or 2). If that doesn't work I'm not sure what the issue is.
Use the new Boot Disk Wizard Add-on. I have had numerous issues in the past with unetbootin, but this worked right off the bat.

Burn the ISO to a disk, and use it to boot into XBMC-Live. Enable the Add-on for Boot Disk Wizard, and run it from the "Programs" menu.

For more info, see http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=80049
i'm experiencing the same and it has fucked up my entire evening. no htpc = no music = no happy spiff Sad
indeed updating unetbootin worked. if i only had spotted that i wouldn't have nagged you luigi, sorry Smile
Awesome, thought I was going mental for a while. Many thanks to all, rocking in beta 3 goodness now Big Grin
so here I am at work with a B3 iso made with the latest unboot and I can't wait to try this out tomorrow.

-=Jason=-
So, what seems to work for everyone in this case is updating unetbootin? I have unetbootin 494 but am still not able to get past the CDROM check in the install. Not sure what's going on as this has never happened to me in any install in the past.
"No CD-Rom found" - I had the same problem and could not figure out how to get around this issue - for weeks (it was driving me nuts). I was using the exact same process (unetbootin) and hardware as before (and never had a problem). I was using the same USB stick, same Acer Apire Revo 1600, same 8gig SD card as hard drive.

What didn't work for me:
1 - Upgrading Unetbootin - it made no difference.
2 - Format USB stick
3 - Use different versions of .iso

I finally got it to work... whoo hoo!

What did work - My solution (your mileage may vary):

I am Windows user (this was my original method)... but tried the same process using Ubuntu.

1) Install VirtualBox and create a virtual machine (My host machine is Windows based)
2) Install Ubuntu 10.x
--- Assumes you are now in Ubuntu
3) Download XBMC Dharma_b3 (extract .zip to .iso)
4) Download Unetbootin
--- Assumes you have inserted the USB stick and Ubuntu detects and mounts
5) run Disk Utility (System - Administration - Disk Utility)
6) Select the USB stick from within Disk Utility - "unmount Volume" - then "format drive" and choose scheme: "Master Boot Volume"... (I think this was the secret sauce).
7) Then "format volume"
--- Assumes you successfuly formated USB drive MBR and Volume
8) Use Unetbootin - select the Dharma .iso you downloaded and target the newly formated USB.

This finally worked - I did not get the 'no CD-Rom drive found' error.

Good luck!
Lightbulb 
I have had the "no cd-rom" issue always, when installing xbmclive from usb.

My solution is to include the ISO file on the XBMCLive USB stick, and simply mount it, as a loop device when asked for the cd-rom.

Like this:

When asked for the cd-rom press ctrl-F2 to open a new shell.
type:
>> mkdir /mnt/usb
>> mkdir /mnt/iso
>> mount -t vfat /dev/sdXX /mnt/usb (sdXX is replaced buy the device name that is actually your usb disk. ie. sdb or sdc, it wont mount unless you get the corret one).
>> mount -t iso9660 -o loop /mnt/usb/xbmc.iso /mnt/iso (xbmc.iso is replaced by the name of the iso file you put on the stick)

press ctrl-F1 to switch back to the installer, then select as follows:
Load CD-ROM driver from removable media? <No>
Manually select CD-ROM module and device> <Yes>
Module needed for accessing the CD-ROM: none
Device file for accessing the CD-ROM: /dev/loop0

and you are all set to go... Cool
Can you switch to other shell (ctrl-F2) and run list-devices usb-partition?
If it shows nothing you should reformat USB. I did it with HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool
IPhase Wrote:I have had the "no cd-rom" issue always, when installing xbmclive from usb.

My solution is to include the ISO file on the XBMCLive USB stick, and simply mount it, as a loop device when asked for the cd-rom.

Like this:

When asked for the cd-rom press ctrl-F2 to open a new shell.
type:
>> mkdir /mnt/usb
>> mkdir /mnt/iso
>> mount -t vfat /dev/sdXX /mnt/usb (sdXX is replaced buy the device name that is actually your usb disk. ie. sdb or sdc, it wont mount unless you get the corret one).
>> mount -t iso9660 -o loop /mnt/usb/xbmc.iso /mnt/iso (xbmc.iso is replaced by the name of the iso file you put on the stick)

press ctrl-F1 to switch back to the installer, then select as follows:
Load CD-ROM driver from removable media? <No>
Manually select CD-ROM module and device> <Yes>
Module needed for accessing the CD-ROM: none
Device file for accessing the CD-ROM: /dev/loop0

and you are all set to go... Cool

Hi! I was trying to avoid bugging you with this but i got tired of trying to make this work for RC1. Everything works up to the point where i have to name the iso

It keeps telling me no such file or directory when i type it with the Dharma RC1 iso name. (xbmc-Dharma_rc1.iso)

Am i doing this right and getting and error or is there something im doing wrong?No

Please help!
did you copy the xbmc-Dharma_rc1.iso file to the USB key you are installing from?
Hello,

If you get this error on your USB with request of a CD-Rom during the installation do this:

edit your syslinux.cfg file on the pen and change the content like this

PHP Code:
default vesamenu.c32
prompt 0
menu title UNetbootin
timeout 100

label unetbootindefault
menu label XBMCLive
kernel 
/live/vmlinuz
append initrd
=/live/initrd.img video=vesafb boot=live xbmc=autostart,nodiskmount splash quiet loglevel=0 persistent quickreboot quickusbmodules notimezone noaccessibility noapparmor noaptcdrom noautologin noxautologin noconsolekeyboard nofastboot nognomepanel nohosts nokpersonalizer nolanguageselector nolocales nonetworking nopowermanagement noprogramcrashes nojockey nosudo noupdatenotifier nouser nopolkitconf noxautoconfig noxscreensaver nopreseed union=aufs

label unetbootinLive
menu label Install XBMCLive
kernel 
/ubnkern
append initrd
=/ubninit cdrom-detect/try-usb=true 

Here the option "cdrom-detect/try-usb=true" did the trick.

With this config you will be able to boot in live or directly start the installation

CU Online
jasondefaoite Wrote:did you copy the xbmc-Dharma_rc1.iso file to the USB key you are installing from?

Wow i feel really stupid! I didnt have it in the drive Oo

I thought that unebootin it to the drive meant having it already. Thank you so much for helping me!! Now i just have to figure out how to make it stop booting to shell...Sad

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
BETA 3 Won't install via USB for me0