I hope this thread can be used for discussion, comment, suggestion and support for add-on web interface wTouch.
Basic idea: wTouch is gesture based remote control for XBMC.
I prefer gesture based for remote on touch based devices, as we lost the feel of physical button. We could not just feel where is the center button, then move finger for arrows, we need to see the devices to tap the right point. With gesture based remote, we does not need to care where we start to touch and were end, just how we move our finger.
Since version 0.4, I implement new gesture based on gyroscope in iOS devices.
Tap the screen and hold and move/rotate the device in front of your TV.
Pausing media while it play is so easy, just put the device up-side-down with screen facing your table.
When the device turned back, it will automatically play the media
Gyroscope based gesture only supported on iPhone 4/4s, iPod Touch 4th Generation, and iPad 2.
- You need to have at least XBMC 11 Eden beta.
- Webkit based browser with touch capability, like iOS and Android (partial function work).
I'm never test it under Android
- Make sure that you have at least XBMC 11 Eden Beta or later.
- On XBMC goto Setting -> Network -> Services
- Make sure to check "Allow control of XBMC via HTTP"
- You can leave the default setting for port, username, password
- Enter on "Web interface"
- Select "Get More..."
- Select "wTouch" (Or other addons that you want to install)
- Select Install
- Open safari on iPhone/iPod Touch, browse to http://(yourip):8080/
- Tap on (+) sign and select, to Home Screen, and put desired icon name.
This will give the webapp as full screen, no more url bar, no bottom tool bar.
Press the help button on the app for more usage
Basically, you just need to swipe up,down,left,right,tap, tap+hold.
There is 2 additional gesture that I define myself:
- Swipe Left then Right (as one touch) mimicking Escape Key
- Swipe Right then Left (as one touch) mimicking Tab Key
On device that support gyroscope, you can just tap,hold, and moving your device to make the up,down,left,right,
and also while have media played, put the device up-side-down (screen face to bottom), it will pause the media until turned up.
- You have to know your XBMC IP address/name at first.
As we could not use the ZeroConf/Bonjour for auto discovery in mobile safari.
- If you have more than 1 XBMC machine, you may have multiple same icon on your home screen.
Official news site: