[WINDOWS]Questions regarding Win7 server and XBMC
I have set up a server PC running windows 7 to feed media to the rest of my house. I am sure that there are better OS's out there for this purpose but I just figured since every other PC in my house is running Win7 that it would make things easier on me. So before I start babbling nonsense I will get to the point of the post...

I have all Hard Drives on the server PC shared so that everyone should be able to read and write to them. This was somewhat important because I wanted to be able to use my HTPC to find new media and DL it directly to the server so that I do not have media scattered among the going on 4 other PC's in my house. That being said, is there a way to have XBMC periodically check the server PC for new content and add it to the libraries without me having to manually add things every time? I really haven't gotten into the settings for XBMC and this whole process may end up taking longer than I would like as my wife is due to have our son any time now so if there is anyone who can explain this so that I do not have to go searching the forums I would greatly appreciate it.

I don't mean to be lazy but I just do not have a ton of time ATM. Thanks in advance...I know there was more I wanted to ask but dang-it my mind just isn't focused right now, I may come back later to post more questions here.
You could set up the mysql database and share that between all of your computers. There are a few threads here regarding that. You may also just be able to set up symlinks to your thumbnails db to share the pictures.

Do a search for mysql here in these forums.

Mark
yeah what mark said install mysql is best way, depending on your network though i find it easier just to use synctoy on an all windows network to keep the images synced. means the images are cached locally if you have a slower network and can be updated in background easily with a bat file.

I use a win7 server and have a copy of xbmc always running on it so it can update it realtime from sickbeard & couchpotato and all other htpc's show data from it's sql db.
I am not familiar with MySql at all, is it a difficult thing to learn? Also is MySql going to help me with allowing my server to sleep/hibernate until it is needed or is this for updating my XBMC libraries?
Lifehacker did a nice step-by-step guide to setting up a MySQL database for XBMC quite recently. Here's the link:

http://lifehacker.com/5634515/how-to-syn...-the-house

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS]Questions regarding Win7 server and XBMC0