Hardware Inquiry - is it the video card?
Hi, new to this forum, looking to build an HTPC, and from reading through the various posts I have concluded that as long as you have a capable CPU, the only specific requirement for sucessfully building an XBMC PC is that the Video Card you choose supports VDPAU.

Most of the discussions here center on the various ION boards. I am assuming that this is because they are small and relatively expensive not that they pocess any inherent qualities that makes them necessary.

The reason I ask, is that I want to build an HTPC running windows 7 with XBMC for my media as well as a good emulator frontend (probably Hyperspin) for some light gaming. (I'd rather use xbmc live, but my desire to also implement emulators requires windows).

I have nothing against the ion boards, but I have found that they can struggle when it comes to playing Flash based applications which the emulator front end uses heavily plus other applications. Size constraints aren't a concern for me. I just wanted to make sure my thinking in that its only the vid card that matters (again assuming you pick a half modern cpu)

Oh, and if anyone has any set up such as I am looking for I am all ears for suggestions on a cpu/motherboard/video card to choose.

Thanks Smile
an i3 system with a geforce GT430 (zotac has passive cooling) might be an interesting setup at the moment
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hardware Inquiry - is it the video card?0