Playback tearing Canon HD Camcorder Videos
I tried to search the forum, but I think this is too specific an issue. I just installed the Xbmcfreak LiveCD 10.00 beta3 onto the new OCZ SSD in my new Revo 3610. I went into bios and made sure to change the "UMA Frame Buffer Size" to 512MB. So far I love everything. I have HDMI audio working out of the box, and my Windows 7 shares show up when browsing through "Windows network (SMB)". This would not work with XBMC Live 9.11, so I am happy! Big Grin

I am able to play a 720p rip of Avatar no problem. Also, other normal DVD rips playback fine. The only issue so far is playback of some AVCHD videos that I shoot with a Canon Vixia HF10 Camcorder. The video file has a .m2ts extension, is MPEG2TS, H.264 (30 fps NTSC), 1920 X 1080. During playback, audio is fine. The video plays, also, but when the shot pans either across (left to right) or up and down, I get really bad (unwatchable) tearing. If it is a still shot (meaning, whoever shot the video kept the camcorder fairly still) the video looks fine, even if the stuff I'm shooting is moving. Hopefully this makes sense, and maybe someone else out there has experienced this, and knows of a workaround.

Also, it should be noted that this doesn't happen when watching the same video using Windows Media Player with no additional codecs on the same Revo 3610 when booting into Windows 7. My Popcorn Hour A-110 also plays the files flawlessly. I was hoping to replace the Popcorn Hour with this Revo/XBMC combo. I am going to keep my fingers crossed, as this may be a deal breaker if I can't watch videos from my home movie collection using XBMC. Eek

Thanks in advance for any help, as it is greatly appreciated. This forum taught me which hardware to buy, how to upgrade to a SSD, and dual boot Windows 7 & XBMC Live on this Revo 3610. I will try to give back to this community one day when I am as experienced as some of you.Wink

Matt
My Living Room Theater XBMC Mini-ITX Build
CASE: MI-100 - MOBO: ASRock A75M-ITX - APU: A6-3500
Kingston 4GB 1600MHz - SanDisk 128GB SSD -- DVDRW
W7 HP - Kodi 15 - Confluence | ATV1 w/BCM970015 & Crystalbuntu in the BR
In the video settings dialog during playback, set the deinterlacer to bob.
Thanks Bobo!! That fixed the tearing. Now how do I make it less choppy? It's almost as if it is stuttering, or skipping.
I think I answered my own question. I changed the Interlaced handling to "Temporal (Half)", or "Temporal/Spatial (Half)". This made it smoother, but still not as smooth as the Popcorn Hour or Windows Media Player. I'll keep messing with it, and see how it goes, I guess.
I guess the revo is a little underpowered for this.
The video plays a bit smoother using Windows Media Player within Windows 7 on the same Revo. So I think the Revo has enough power. Just wasn't sure if there is some other setting I could adjust to improve the playback quality on XBMC.
Windows media player doesn't work the same way as XBMC using vdpau.
Currently, vdpau writes to a pixmap, then XBMC renders that in opengl, that's not very efficient.
I understand they are different. Nod
I have heard of lots of people playing full 1080p blueray rips flawlessly with XBMC on the Revo. For some reason, I just thought I wouldn't have a problem with the home videos. If anyone has had personal experience playing this type of file using XBMC, feel free to chime in and help out a noob. Big Grin

Thanks again for your help, bobo.
The difference is, blurays are 24 fps, camcorder videos are 60 fps after deinterlacing, that's 2,5 times more frames to render.
My bad for making assumptions. ConfusedI tried to search this out before I decided on the Revo and XBMC, but it seems not many people watch HD home movies on XBMC. The other stupid assumption I made was, thinking that if regular ol' Windows Media Player & Popcorn Hour could play 'em fine, XBMC would have no problem. I thought XBMC was superior when it came to HD content. The video looks OK, just not perfect. We don't spend a TON of time watching home movies, anyway. Oh well, I still love the setup, and can't wait to start tweaking with things like Live TV and PVR. I still haven't decided on a tuner. I was thinking HDHomerunHuh My ultimate goal is to sell the Popcorn Hour, and cancel my DTV Account. Big Grin
maddog808 Wrote:I thought XBMC was superior when it came to HD content.

HD playback comes down to the hardware at the end of the day. You can run XBMC on any range of hardware but if the hardware isn't upto the job of decoding the content you won't get smooth playback Big Grin
ant_thomas Wrote:HD playback comes down to the hardware at the end of the day. You can run XBMC on any range of hardware but if the hardware isn't upto the job of decoding the content you won't get smooth playback Big Grin

Exactly my point. Using the same hardware (Revo 3610), Windows Media Player plays the AVCHD home movies smoother than XBMC. I assumed this wouldn't be the case, which is my fault. Unless I'm doing something wrong, which I hope I am, and maybe someone with experience playing these files using XBMC will point me in the right direction. Big Grin
Hi maddog, did you ever get your video working? I am having the same issue. I just created a handful of home movies today and they are stuttering terrible. AVCHD encoded.
I just saw your post, Fluthy, while reviewing this thread because someone else had this problem on this forum. It plays back ok, just not perfect. How bout you?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Playback tearing Canon HD Camcorder Videos0