[WINDOWS] HD Audio (DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD) Bitstreaming support?
Lightbulb 
Are there any plans to integrate HD Audio (DTS-HD MAster Audio and TrueHD) support for bitstreaming in XBMC ? It would be a great feature for a lot of users, since the DS Player build is still in development
gnif may add it as part of the audio engine branch http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=78289
Hey All,

Am I correct in thinking you can only get bitstreaming audio in XBMC with a third party player (i.e : MPC HC or DSPlayer) or is this not true?

I have a small HTPC which consists of a Zotac H55 WI-FI mobo, intel i3 clarkdale 530, 4GB DDR3 Ram, 40GB SSD HDD with windows 7 (64BIT)

I connect the HTPC to my amp (Onkyo 608) via HDMI cable and then use an optical cable for the Audio via the Realtek option in the windows sound options.

If I use the HDMI for sound (Onkyo 608 - Intel Audio Drive) in my windows sound setup then the amp displays (MULTICHANNEL PCM) and in the onkyo I select the audio output for HDMI and in XBMC (RC1 version) select HDMI for audio, DTS and DD capable receiver are checked .. When playing the movie every 5-10 second the sound cuts out and the little HDMI sign on the Onkyo 608 keeps blinking and then the sound comes back again.. and then the same thing happens over and over again.

With the Optical is selected I have no issues and sound is great .. However as you know the optical can not decode DTS HD MA or DD TRUE HD..

Now can anyone please guide or give me any ideas:

PS: When I changed the script of one of the .xml files in the setting of XBMC and directed it to play with MPC HC then and I installed ffdshow and did all my settings correctly then there was no problem in playing the video and audio via the HDMI however it does not have the interface of the XBMC player and I dont really like the idea.. I know DSplayer will probably do the trick aswell but can someone please tell me if I really will notice bitstreaming a .mkv file with 1.5mbps DTS Audio over an Optical cable?

Thank you in advance..Big Grin
Does XBMC suppor these audio formats and if not are there 3rd party apps to get them to work? I don't need them decoded but rather I need bitstreaming. I have it working in WMC so I wouldn't think it would be a stretch for XBMC to do it.
Not supported natively but you have 2 options:

1. Launch an external player (PowerDVD, TMT or MPC-HC). See wiki for instructions on how to set up.
2. Use the DSplayer branch of XBMC that uses windows direct show filters. Here is a very nice writeup for getting DSPlayer set up to bitstream the HD audio formats:
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/06/...-dsplayer/
thank you for the info. Yeah, I currently use WMC and mediabrowser and it launches MPC-HC and in conjunction with FFDshow it will bitstream that audio. So this is very similar to that. In fact I may have what I need already in place it seems.
I'll need to carve out some time to experiment with this some more.

Thanks!
Not exactly what your looking for plus I haven't tried it out under Windows (works under linux) but I think you can bitstream flac to a LPCM capable amp in XBMC.

As flac is lossless all you need to do is convert the audio stream. Staxrip can take a Blu-ray in MKV with DTS-MA or TrueHD and convert the audio into flac while not touching the video. So you have an MKV file with original Blu-ray video stream plus flac audio track which XBMC can output to the amp as LPCM.

A flac preset does not exist within Staxrip you just have to create one yourself.
* click audio edit button
* select codec = flac
* set channels = 5.1
* click profiles -> save

For video profile select "just mux" and container as MKV.
Yes, I used to convert to FLAC and I still have several movies with FLAC. But as soon as I got a card that could bitstream the HD audio I switched to that. So now most of my movies are HD audio.
Isnt that true-hd can be decoded by your A/V receiver if it supports it?If I select HDMI audio from xbmc would that be enough for my AV receiver to decode? thx
retret66 Wrote:Isnt that true-hd can be decoded by your A/V receiver if it supports it?If I select HDMI audio from xbmc would that be enough for my AV receiver to decode? thx

Yes.

No.

The only way I know to bitstream DTS-MA HD to your receiver is via MPC-HC and FFDshow. Both XBMC and MediaBrowser can launch external players such as MPC-HC.

You also need supporting hardware in your PC.
Anyone offer up any help.. I'm using DSplayer per the guide above and I'm not getting any audio until i jump ahead in the video, then... it just loops about one second of audio as it plays the video...

Any Ideas?
kermyb, this is a feature request forum. DSplayer has its support thread in the Windows section. Go there and people will be much more likely to help you.

Smile
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] HD Audio (DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD) Bitstreaming support?0