[WINDOWS] Native 64-bit build version of XBMC for Windows?
Lightbulb 
hello all! i'm a long time user of xbmc all the way back when i had my old xbox 1 (which i gave away to one of my relative). Wink

nowadays, i just run xbmc exclusively on my many pcs that i own (tabletpc, quad core htpc, and hexa core main rig). i wonder why 'xbmc' hasn't been renamed to 'pcmc' yet. :o

i would really like to see a native 64-bit version of xbmc in the future. most of the applications that i use nowadays have made the switch over to native 64 bit support (media player classic home cinema, cpu-z, ccleaner, winrar, process explorer, perfectdisk, flash, internet explorer, photoshop, comodo firewall etc.). i run on windows 7 x64 os. Big Grin

so what is holding xbmc back from making the transition to full fledge 64-bit support? is it the sound/video codecs, lack of man power, lack of interest? :confused2:

oh, btw, i am loving the dharma beta builds. :p
my guess would be lack of advantages for the time and effort the coders would have to put into getting it going
1. There is little if anything to be gained from using 64-bit integer math for an application like XBMC.
2. There is little to be gained by a >4GB address space.
3. Probably the main reason - 64-bit Windows runs 32-bit applications just fine, so there is no pressing need.

I'm sure a 64-bit native version will come eventually, but it will probably end up being because at some point the 64-bit Linux builds (where it does matter to some degree because of distribution specific issues) become so predominantly used that the windows build will get dragged to 64-bit just to keep parity from a developer standpoint.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] Native 64-bit build version of XBMC for Windows?0