Intermitent black screen with mouse visible
Hi,

I have seen some posts similar to this but none that are infrequent.

I have Ubuntu 10.4 64bit running XMBC along side gnome as i like to browse the web and download torrents in the background (i use deluge). I have a dual core A330 Atom processor with 4Gb RAM and 320GB SATA HDD

I have set-up XBMC to work with VDPAU and my analogue 5.1 audio and it has been working great. I have set-up a MCE remote to open XBMC with the green button with Lirc

Every now and again when XMBC starts it seems to get stuck on a black screen after the xbmc logo and i can see the mouse. I cannot move the mouse, presumably because i disabled it within xbmc.

I cant seem to be able to stop this and have to go into terminal (either ssh or ctrl+alt+1) and kill the process. It is not using much CPU and seems to be no sign of why it has crashed.

How do i go about debugging the issue? I have tried to assign a remote button to run "pidof xbmc.bin | xargs kill -9" but that doesn’t seem to run (does xbmc freeze lirc daemon)

I could live with it crashing occasionally and fixing with the button but i am getting quite frustrated with going into terminal to fix it.

Anyone got any ideas?

Chris
bump?
First things that come to mind: a debug log after you have killed the process. Then what also might be interesting, is attaching gdb to the hung xbmc.bin process (get the process id with pidof xbmc.bin, then start gdb, "attach pid" and then do a "thread apply all bt" and copy and paste the output somewhere.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I have managed to get debuging on and have managed to ge tthe log when it crashed

http://pastebin.com/rxPLbWmG

I dont know where all those error directories came from, they are stuff i have deleted?

also what does this mean:
ERROR: XLCDproc::Initialize - Unable to connect to host. Retry in 64 seconds.

Edit: after delting my library in userdata i got the following debug (xbmc seems to not start each time now, i have to kill the process) http://pastebin.com/yZHyYSkF

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intermitent black screen with mouse visible0