Further increase voice volume?
Hi!

First of all thanks for this amazing media center! However, there is one problem left for me: Is it possible to increase the volume of voices in AC3 and DTS movies any further?

I'm using XBMC Dharma RC1 on Windows 7 x86 with a Asus Xonar DX audio card and an analog connection to a Logitech Z-2300 2.1 speaker system. Of course I have enabled "Boost volume level on downmix" in the settings menu, however I still have to raise the master volume up high to understand voices clearly, but then special effects are too loud.

I couldn't find any other options in the graphical settings menu regarding voice volume boost and also Google couldn't help me out. Maybe I've searched in a wrong direction, and so I hope someone on this forum can answer my question. A nice solution would be, for example, to have a configuration line in an xml-file, where I can increase the volume of the center audio channel by hand.

Thanks in advice for any help!
Greets, itschoma
Well, it doesn't seem to be a direct solution on this, but I have a new idea.

I know that the ffdshow audio decoder suite has a slider to increase the center channel (as far as I know the channel for dialogs in movies) by hand to any value you like. So it would be a proper solution for me, if i could use the ffdshow audio suite for AC3 and DTS decoding. Is this possible?

Greets, itschoma
Can't you increase it on your amp?
Hitcher Wrote:Can't you increase it on your amp?

Unfortunately I don't have an seperate amp, audio runs through an analog connection directly to an Logitech Z-2300 2.1 speaker system. Well, I know, not a nice setup for AC3/DTS movies, however it must be possible to tweak xbmc right for this speaker system.
Problem you've got is that essentially the vocal component of your audio tracks is too quiet because of the dynamic range. You're also using a 2.1 system, so it's not a case you can up the centre speaker via an amp, windows etc, and XBMC isn't slanted in this direction, the new audio engine being worked on might offer some of the functions you'd want, but right now its more of a decoder/passthrough system, XBMC AFAIK itself just generally passes the audio (with the exception of downmixing etc), and doesn't provide heavy manipulation options; that's not it's job.
I think you're actually looking in the wrong place for a fix here, the issue lies in the videos and your audio setup, rather than XBMC mishandling the files, and effectively you're asking for a very specifically ranged EQ or DRC, which is not something XBMC provides.

What I'd do is take a look in the Xonar control panels and see if you have an option for either dynamic range compression (if you have this, try enabling it during movies and it should try and reduce the range between the quietest and loudest sounds, at the loss of range and sometimes a little quality) or see what EQ options you are offered. It may have a vocal booster EQ or similar that may suit your needs, but being honest you may find Dynamic Range Compression a better option, as vocals obviously can cover a pretty wide frequency range.

Either way in this case I think you need to aim your attempts in your sound card or speaker system's direction, not XBMC, I mean that with no disrespect, but the quiet vocals are not a problem with XBMC's playback, but the way the intial vocal/centre track is recorded. Unfortunately, Logitech speakers (and PC speakers in general) are a bit weak in the mid section, and male voices especially can often fall into this section of the audio spectrum, giving you a double issue whereby your vocals are relatively low in the overal mix, and your speakers won't be quite at fluent at some areas of the audio range either, producing an even more muted sound. It wouldn't be unfair to say most PC speakers are produced with a 'smiley face' EQ in mind! (lots of bass, weak middle, lots of treble)
i3-2100 /w Scythe Big Shuriken Cooler, 4GB RAM, GT430 Passive, 40GB SSD boot drive, 2TB 5400RPM internal media drive, 2TB external drive, Nexus 430W PSU, Nexus case fans

Feeding Yamaha RX-V1800, Panasonic 42PZ80 Plasma, Mission 753/Quad speaker surround kit
Thanks for your extensive reply.

I know that cheap 2.1 sound systems aren't made and shouldn't be used for high quality movie playback, but I've thought I can tweak strongly on software side to get a well sound result.

I've also tried the "Smart Volume Normalization" feature of my Xonar DX audio card, but I didn't like the result. The Xonar DX control center doesn't offer any other options regarding my problem.

Well, I think meanwhile I'll have to live with this problem. Probably I'm loosing myself in details here, you know, I've working on my perfect HTPC solution for weeks (yes, weeks...) and now I nearly have it. I mean, sound is quite ok, but voices could have been louder.

So thanks again for your answers. Maybe I get a 5.1 sound system and an amplifier some day, and until that I think I can live with the current setup.
alexrose1uk Wrote:Either way in this case I think you need to aim your attempts in your sound card or speaker system's direction, not XBMC, I mean that with no disrespect, but the quiet vocals are not a problem with XBMC's playback, but the way the intial vocal/centre track is recorded.

I respectfully disagree.

If it is not XBMC's purpose to handle the audio, then why have the downmix option in the first place? XBMC has the downmix feature because we do not expect every XBMC user to have the right sound card software/drivers, receiver, amp, etc. to do downmixing properly. On the other hand, it is easy to ensure that a software audio filter will be able to do downmixing and do it well.

The OP's problem (and mine) is that once you do the downmixing in the audio filter, you've lost some of the original audio information. I don't want to boost the midrange frequencies. I want to boost the audio that was in the center channel.

There is a reason why AC3Filter, ffdshow audio and other filters all have options for dynamic range compression and/or adjusting channel levels prior to downmixing. The audio filter is the proper place to do this kind of manipulation. One of the great advantages of using a HTPC is that a computer can do a lot of the postprocessing that would otherwise require additional AV equipment.

Anyway, I'm hoping this fairly basic feature will not be forgotten when the new audio engine comes out. For the time being, the best solution (in Windows) is to use the DSPlayer build so you can use the volume level adjustments in ffdshow or another external filter.
claimui Wrote:For the time being, the best solution (in Windows) is to use the DSPlayer build so you can use the volume level adjustments in ffdshow or another external filter.

Do you know of an option for Linux to address this problem? I have a nice receiver and its not a problem for me to adjust the center channel but I use the receiver for other media so I don't want to boost the center channel and cause issues with other devices.

I guess I could use the Alsa Mixer to adjust the levels?

Keep in mind, I use sound over HDMI to the TV for general tv viewing and then stereo sound from optical out for the receiver when I watch a movie.
How to use Git
| AMD Athlon II X3 Triple Core Processor 2.9 GHz |GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Mobo 2GB DDR2 Ram | MSI N430GT |
| Logitec Harmony Smart Control Remote| 52" Sharp Aquos LED TV | Denon AVR-X1000 |
| Freenas Server with 18TB ASRock Intel Avoton C2750 |
alexrose1uk Wrote:Problem you've got is that essentially the vocal component of your audio tracks is too quiet because of the dynamic range.

Lots of good info in this thread. I'm going to research Dynamic Range Compression more thoroughly.

My problem is that I live in a condo, and I'm sick of adjusting the volume constantly to avoid pissing off the neighbors. The center channel of course is much quieter than the soundtrack, special effects, etc.

I have a 3 channel setup with Bose Acoustimass 5 front satellites/subwoofer and a Bose VCS-10 center channel, powered by a Pioneer VSX-D411 digital receiver. (I switch between audio via hdmi with digital passthrough from my tv and direct optical audio from my htpc to the receiver). I currently have the center output +5 dB and both front channels -5 dB, but it's not doing a lot to solve the problem.

Thanks for any and all input. I'll research this further and try to post any solutions here.
The problem of voices being too quiet, with most other sounds being too loud is actually a somewhat common problem among XBMC users. A quick google search shows users experiencing a similar problem on various platforms: x-box, Mac, Windows, etc.

Various users, myself included, have found that using the same AV setup and playing the same file in a different program tends to solve the problem. If the problem is resolved when *only* the playback program is changed, the only real possibility is that the problem lies with the program, XBMC.

XBMC programmers seem not to believe that this is actually an issue, and despite my best searching, I cannot find a solution within XBMC, nor does anyone seem focused on fixing the problem. The best solution I can offer, then, is (unfortunately) to use something other than XBMC for playback.

While it has MANY positive aspects, this particular drawback renders it almost useless for a fair number of people. If only someone would actually believe us who say that the problem lies with XBMC...
zacmea Wrote:The problem of voices being too quiet, with most other sounds being too loud is actually a somewhat common problem among XBMC users. A quick google search shows users experiencing a similar problem on various platforms: x-box, Mac, Windows, etc.

Various users, myself included, have found that using the same AV setup and playing the same file in a different program tends to solve the problem. If the problem is resolved when *only* the playback program is changed, the only real possibility is that the problem lies with the program, XBMC.

XBMC programmers seem not to believe that this is actually an issue, and despite my best searching, I cannot find a solution within XBMC, nor does anyone seem focused on fixing the problem. The best solution I can offer, then, is (unfortunately) to use something other than XBMC for playback.

While it has MANY positive aspects, this particular drawback renders it almost useless for a fair number of people. If only someone would actually believe us who say that the problem lies with XBMC...
I can understand your frustration as i have the same problems as you with certain movies in my collection, But for me the Pros far outweigh the cons.
But to say the devs are doing nothing is a little harsh as they are working on a whole new Audio engine for XBMC. this may or may not fix this issue.
My advice would be to hang on untill then Smile
XBMC Frodo 12 - Windows 7 - Asrock Ion 330HT - Aeon Nox
A new sound card may offer you more driver options to adjust and get you through until and unless the xbmc audio engine provides a handle on this..
I know its not a good solution, but its one that I ended up using.
XBMC is well known to have volume issues from what I can see for people without some kind of external configurable amplifier.
bluenote Wrote:A new sound card may offer you more driver options to adjust and get you through until and unless the xbmc audio engine provides a handle on this..
I know its not a good solution, but its one that I ended up using.
XBMC is well known to have volume issues from what I can see for people without some kind of external configurable amplifier.

Ive had right headache with this issue, ive no resided to the fact that i need to just manually control the volume while a movie is on..

I invested in a 5.1 HomeTheatre at a cost of £499.99 and a sound card from ASUS Xonar at about £100 and i still have this issue where voices are quiet and all other sounds are loud..

I tried increasing the centre chanel volume, however as its not exclusive for voices, it also means that any other sounds out of there that are not voices are very loud indeed.

I never had this issue with ffdshow as it used its features to correct my levels but xbmc has been a right ole head ache for me and i just gave up as even new equiptment did not resolve the issue :-(

If the modscan add voice enhancment, normalisation and channel control and drc we may be somehwhere close, until then its manual mode for me :-(
I have 4 XBMC setups in my house, XBOX, AT2, 2 Win 7 machines. This problem happens on every one of these machines. What am I supposed to do, put a surround sound system at every one? Very frustrating.
1 Original XBOX XBMC with every game under the sun
3 Raspberry Pi's w/ Openelec Kodi shared MySQL db
1 Win7 Kodi hosting shared MySQL and media
1 Mythbuntu backend v.27 and HD Homerun Prime 3 tuners
One solution has already been given under windows DSPlayer namely Rev 553d719 I've been running this on two machines for months and have encountered no bugs at all this is a post 10.1 build so has all features and a couple extras like pause during refresh rate change etc

I run "AC3Filter" and "DC-GraphicEQ" but nothing will work unless configured correctly for a start you don't want to be bitstreaming in passthrough mode as then you cant change anything and both ffdshow and ac3filter allow you to adjust any channel you like including centre channel but of course this will only be exclusive on 5.1 or any kind of multi audio track but not stereo, whether voice is clear in stereo tracks will depend on what sort of surround processing you use like DTS NEO or Dolby II or any kind of processing that gives you center channel from a stereo source

If you use AC3Filter adjust centre channel not voice, voice requires you to have the "Auto Matrix" enabled you don't want anything like that enabled "Auto Gain", "DRC", "AC3 Encoder" turn them all off
Current HTPC Lian-Li PC-C37 • Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H • Intel C2D E8400 E0 Stepping • OCZ Vertex SSD • 4GB Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 • Corsair HX650W Modular PSU (Free Upgrade) • LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray Drive • Scythe Big Shuriken • Acousti DustPROOF 70mm Fan

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Further increase voice volume?0