Stripping down Windows 7 for XBMC on Revo
Hey all:

I just reinstalled Windows 7 on my Revo 3610 with 4 GB of RAM and I was wondering what Windows 7 features to remove for making it faster? The reason I ask this is that the I say I "reinstalled" Windows 7, I had Ubuntu on there and had some problems with the sharing portion of that, and prior to that I had Windows 7 ultimate 64bit installed (which I have reinstalled).

The reason I had originally gotten rid of windows 7 with at points in content is would stutter and go "BZZZT" for a brief second. I really can't describe it any better, like it gets "hung up". Didn't matter what kind of content it was, HD or standard. It also had the problem with things kind of shifting. For example, flowing water would kind of not flow evenly, kind of choppy.

I had read that a lot of people haven't had any problems with HD content on here with Revo's and Windows 7. I was just wondering what some people had stripped if that had an ION type of system. Like services, features, and all that jazz. Could it be the graphics drivers I am using? I just used the ones that were in Windows 7 updates.

Thanks!

PS: I kind of noticed it happening when watching a 720p movie tonight. It was really bad or anything. All I had really installed with VLC, Chrome, and XBMC. I also updated with windows Update.
You won't achieve any significant increase in speed by stripping things out of Windows.

What version of XBMC are you using and have you got DXVA enabled? I use a Revo 3610 with Win7 Pro and haven't run into any problems even playing 1080p.

JR
Yeah I can only echo that, stripping parts of windows doesn't improve it the way it did in the xp/98 days.

Try with local content to see if it's a streaming problem else make sure dxva is enabled and try adjusting your v-sync & display sync settings in xbmc.

I have revo 3610 stock 2gb ram stock hdd win 7 x64 and plays all content including 1080p fine.
Thanks for the replies! I haven't really done anything with the v-sync and display sync so maybe i will fiddle with that! Thanks again!
jhsrennie Wrote:You won't achieve any significant increase in speed by stripping things out of Windows.

What version of XBMC are you using and have you got DXVA enabled? I use a Revo 3610 with Win7 Pro and haven't run into any problems even playing 1080p.

JR

+1

For me, once I got the Revo 3610, I removed all the bloat ware come with it, but nothing from Win 7. But the single most significant thing I did for Win 7 on Revo 3610 was to enable DXVA, with Dharma 4. Large 1080p HD file (16GB) plays flawlessly. CPU dropped from %40-60 down to %5-10. Once in a while it spiked up to %30 when there is a lot of fast action (only for a few seconds). Looks like the Nvidia HW acceleration works very well.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Stripping down Windows 7 for XBMC on Revo0