[WINDOWS] HOW-TO Add multi-language support and keep confluence skin default font
Lightbulb 
Quote:*Admin, please move into HOW-TO Section - I don't have enough privileges to do that*

Purpose of this How-To Guide
I have seen several posting on how to enable multi-language text viewing in XBMC that does not keep the original menu font. Under the Appearance setting simply changing the Default font to Arial will enable additional language to be visible in the skin however it doesn't preserved the original Font.

I have included screen shots below that explain this visually.

XBMC Default Skin View - Looks nice and Bold - However in this view TV Shows and movies that has Chinese, and other languages except English scraped information show up in little square boxes. Like [][][][]...

Changing the default front to Arial - you end up with menu items in lower / sentence case and skinny font. Doesn't look as appealing.

The Fix
I tried editing the font xml files in the skin directory however it didn't produce the result I was looking for. It was time to get a bit creative. I open the the default fonts that installed with the confluence skin and added the Arialuni.ttf multi-language characters and kept the default English letters untouch. This enable the skin to keep its default menu fonts while rendering other languages in the Arialuni.ttf font.

Here is the final result.

Now, I know most of you don't have the time to go about editing your fonts, so I made life a little simple for you who uses the default confluence skin. I have upload the modify fonts on-line so you can download a copy for yourself.

A copy can be download from the following URL.
http://www.fileserve.com/file/wZU4Y9E

Instructions to install:
1) Download the above file
2) UnRAR the file.
3) Backup DefaultCaps.ttf & DejaVuSans.ttf in your XBMC\addons\skin.confluence\fonts folder.
4) Replace the above 2 files with those in the RAR package you download.

On a final note.. I hope this is helpful for those of you who have been trying to find a way to keep the original XBMC Menu font while add additional language support.
Thanks ! This is helpful to me !!

One question.. how did u get the BEAUTIFUL background and the various episode names and even episode synopsis for the HK TVB drama. I love this show too Smile
Quote:XBMC\addons\skin.confluence\fonts folder.

Where can i find this in a OSX installation ?
civicguy Wrote:Thanks ! This is helpful to me !!

One question.. how did u get the BEAUTIFUL background and the various episode names and even episode synopsis for the HK TVB drama. I love this show too Smile

All that information is scraped off thetvdb website with the default tv show scraper that was release with xbmc.
civicguy Wrote:Where can i find this in a OSX installation ?

Sorry I didn't make a version of the font for OSX. Will look into creating one Smile
When you update the movie information the name appears correctly. Until it searched for the information, but the name appears in the squares.
b00zer Wrote:[b]
A copy can be download from the following URL.
http://www.fileserve.com/file/wZU4Y9E

I can't seem to download this file. ): I've tried the arialuni.ttf method, and while it works, it's just like the post said, it's not exactly as pretty as the default font.

I wish I can edit the font files myself, but I can't seem to find a free font editor that can do what I want. >.<;
Worked well, thank you!
may I ask how do you set the XBMC interface to Chinese? I tried to change the appearance, but it feels like the program is not unicode?
b00zer Wrote:Here is the final result.

Hi b00zer,

I see you have hong kong TVB tv show as library, how did you do this? Cause I can't find any tvb scrapers online.

Could you help me out? Big Grin
I was able to scrap on pre-eden using tvdb.com addon.

Remember to go to tvdb.com -> setting -> lanuage -> zh

I couldn't figure out how to get chinese to display on pre-eden; got it to work on dharma.

Also couldn't figure out of scrap w/o renaming all files to S01EXX; I'm trying to get absolute episode to work, but no luck.

anyone else have better luck?
Nevermind, I figured it out for pre-eden. I was looking in the %appdata%/xbmc folder rather than programfile folder.

It's all good to go!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO Add multi-language support and keep confluence skin default font0