i3-530 hardware for XBMC?
I am using this HTPC for XBMC

CPU Intel i3-530,
GPU Intel GMA HD,
Chipset Intel H57,
4GB RAM,
500GB HDD (or 64 GB SSD)
Audio 8ch 192KHz bitstream
- As a Storage for the moment I am using an external HDD with USB connection.

In my opinion this system should be enough strong to play all the 1080p formats.
Please tell me your ideas about what should be improved here to have a smooth play of all video files. (a dedicated ATI card will be much more efficient?)

It happening sometimes to have a not very smooth play after resuming from standby and this issue is resolved by restarting the PC.

Other choppy playing is happening when I am using Optical 5.1 audio instead of analog 5.1 --- is this the reason or is just an illusion?.

Thank you for your help.
bogdandr Wrote:(a dedicated ATI card will be much more efficient?)

Um, no. ATI cards offer way less robust decoding than Nvidia cards do.

As it is I bet the CPU is doing a good chunk of the work. That is what gives the choppy play- because the CPU is having to decode the sound AND play the file.

Get a Nvidia GT2xx or a GT430 and you have the best possible HTPC.

poofyhairguy Wrote:Um, no. ATI cards offer way less robust decoding than Nvidia cards do.

As it is I bet the CPU is doing a good chunk of the work. That is what gives the choppy play- because the CPU is having to decode the sound AND play the file.

Get a Nvidia GT2xx or a GT430 and you have the best possible HTPC.

The New Mac Mini can be a good solution?

Many thanks about the idea with Nvidia.
Currently I am using this cases :
http://hfx.at/index.php?option=com_conte...&Itemid=58
for 0 db noise.
Will be hard to use an Nvidia card there (small space inside).
Maybe I can replace the BD unit with an Nvidia card....or I will choose other type of HTPC case.
Mainly I am using this devices as clients for video part of home automation projects.

Until now I have used MCE base HTPC but I choose to go on XBMC direction (not because of the prices) - I hope I made the best choice.
bogdandr Wrote:It happening sometimes to have a not very smooth play after resuming from standby and this issue is resolved by restarting the PC.

Other choppy playing is happening when I am using Optical 5.1 audio instead of analog 5.1 --- is this the reason or is just an illusion?.

If you are running any recent version of Dharma, enable DXVA2 and let the GPU inside the CPU handle the decoding of the HD formats. You'll see a significant drop in CPU utilization when playing HD and it should be perfect (No dropped frames, no choppiness, etc).
Philmatic Wrote:If you are running any recent version of Dharma, enable DXVA2 and let the GPU inside the CPU handle the decoding of the HD formats. You'll see a significant drop in CPU utilization when playing HD and it should be perfect (No dropped frames, no choppiness, etc).

Dharma RC2 is running and I have DXVA2 activated.
Render method is - auto detect,
Adjust display refresh rate to match the video - activated
Sync playback to display - activated
A/V sync method is set to Video clock resample audio
Video post-processing is disabled

In this conditions when I am using analog 5.1 everything works ok.
If I choose optical instead of analog the playing is not smooth.

TV model - LE40R81B -- 1080i
If it's just for HTPC use, then the i3 is a great choice (for Windows). However, don't use the intregrated graphics. Go with a Nvidia GT 430. That the combo i'm running.

I'm running a OrigenAE M10 case, and i've got the CPU fan slowed right down. Plus i've unplugged the fan on the GT 430(EVGA) so it's silent. I've also swapped the fan that came with the M10 case for 2 quieter fans that are running even slower using a dual 7v adaptor. The result is a near silent HTPC.

The temps are great (60c under load) as long as you use DXVA and not Cuda/CoreAVC/DSPlayer combo. As soon as Cuda is used the temps sky rocket to 90c+ and the whole shuts off!

Cheers
I tried Core i3 CPU on HTPC with Windows7. I didnt like them. Intel and ATI need alot of work on Windows DXVA and Linux VAAPI. I sell i3 system and now I'm over Sempron 140 with GT220. Its really silence low powered and problem free system. I will change this system in 2 month but i will stick with NVIDIA. Maybe ION2.

If you are sure for Core i3 forget integrated graphic and install GF210 fanless.
If you use the analogue setting, then XBMC is decoding the audio. If you use the optical option, and have AC3/DTS options enabled, then the sound card is doing the work (bitstreaming).

Have you updated the SPDIF (optical) drivers with the correct driver, or are you just running the drivers Windows installed? Try updating...
Schumi Wrote:and install GF210 fanless.

Definately don't get a 210. It's no more powerfult than the Intel GPU! Wink
liquidskin76 Wrote:If you use the analogue setting, then XBMC is decoding the audio. If you use the optical option, and have AC3/DTS options enabled, then the sound card is doing the work (bitstreaming).

Have you updated the SPDIF (optical) drivers with the correct driver, or are you just running the drivers Windows installed? Try updating...

To be honest it's the driver that windows recommend.
I will try to do something in this way.
liquidskin76 Wrote:Definately don't get a 210. It's no more powerfult than the Intel GPU! Wink

What about this card Gigabyte 9800GT Silent Video Card?
Can be a solution?

http://www.acousticpc.com/gigabyte_hd575..._card.html
liquidskin76 Wrote:Definately don't get a 210. It's no more powerfult than the Intel GPU! Wink

or..
http://www.acousticpc.com/gigabyte_gv-n6..._card.html
a) you are using win7 with dharma2 and DXVA2 enabled so the intel GMA HD video acceleration *should not* be the problem here

b) you have an HD ready LG LCD but feed him 1080i, why is that? go for 720p instead

c) the choppiness after resume from standby most definitely is a driver problem, as well as the audio out phenomenon. update your drivers.

d) in case there are no driver updates available, download VLC and try to playback the same files in the same situations to see if the problem also exists within VLC.

e) you really should not need a dedicated GPU for playback, getting an nvidia 210 would only make sense if you are willing&able to go to linux XBMC or live.

f) maybe I didn't get this, but how is your audio configured? are you feeding the audio signal via HDMI to the LCD or to a receiver?
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
bogdandr Wrote:or..
http://www.acousticpc.com/gigabyte_gv-n6..._card.html

no! the 6200 doesn't support VDPAU, don't go that way
Hannes The Hun Wrote:a) you are using win7 with dharma2 and DXVA2 enabled so the intel GMA HD video acceleration *should not* be the problem here

b) you have an HD ready LG LCD but feed him 1080i, why is that? go for 720p instead

There are also problem in running 720p (I repeat, only when the audio is set to digital (optic) instead of analogic)
I will try also to play with VLC.

c) the choppiness after resume from standby most definitely is a driver problem, as well as the audio out phenomenon. update your drivers.

Windows 7 didn't find any updates for audio or video card.
I will try to download the latest drivers from the producer'

f) maybe I didn't get this, but how is your audio configured? are you feeding the audio signal via HDMI to the LCD or to a receiver?

Audio signal is going to the amplifier trough optical cable.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
i3-530 hardware for XBMC?0