i3-530 hardware for XBMC?
don't try to get updates from manufacturer

the intel GMA HD driver is available at the intel support site, and for audio you just have to find out which chip is inside (worst case scenario is vendor ID and PCI ID) and search with google

but then again, before trying out anything of this, please test with VLC
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
thank you, I will try this afternoon
liquidskin76 Wrote:Definately don't get a 210. It's no more powerfult than the Intel GPU! Wink

Not true. A GT210 is at least twice as powerful. Plus it has MUCH better drivers.

Basically it comes down to this:

Intel's GPU drivers are junk. Technically the hardware can do everything you want, but this issue you are encountering is due to Intel's house being a mess right now.

The best way to fix the issue is to go with another vendor with better drivers. This means Nvidia. Pick something from the GT2xx or GT4xx series and you get HDMI audio support, great driver support, and 1080p support...

Hannes The Hun Wrote:b) you have an HD ready LG LCD but feed him 1080i, why is that? go for 720p instead

Yep, go with 720p always over 1080i.

poofyhairguy Wrote:Not true. A GT210 is at least twice as powerful. Plus it has MUCH better drivers.

Ok, so i exaggerated slighty! Big Grin Still, the 210 may struggle sometimes (like the ATI 5450). Go for something slighty higher... GT430 (recommended for futuring proofing) or GT220.
liquidskin76 Wrote:Definately don't get a 210. It's no more powerfult than the Intel GPU! Wink

It's not about power. Its about software compatibility.
Hannes The Hun Wrote:don't try to get updates from manufacturer

the intel GMA HD driver is available at the intel support site, and for audio you just have to find out which chip is inside (worst case scenario is vendor ID and PCI ID) and search with google

but then again, before trying out anything of this, please test with VLC

Well I made the test with VLC and digital audio (optical) set.
Avatar Folders BD was the test movie.

With VLC it wasn't the smoothest play but much better than playing same movie with XBMC with digital audio (optical) set.
The best and a very fluid play was in the XBMC case with analog audio 5.1 set.
liquidskin76 Wrote:Ok, so i exaggerated slighty! Big Grin Still, the 210 may struggle sometimes (like the ATI 5450). Go for something slighty higher... GT430 (recommended for futuring proofing) or GT220.

The only times a GT220 is better than a GT210 is for de-interlacing HD content. That only comes into play if you mess with the alpha PVR branch.

The only times a GT430 is better than a GT210 or a GT220 is for playing 3D content which XBMC doesn't support and probably won't support for a year+.

For playing 1080p files all three of these cards will do the exact same job. Trust me, I have all three and a huge library to help test them with. My GT210 plays everything 1080p file it has met.

And for the record, Intel GPUs (and ATI GPUs) shouldn't even be in the same categories as Nvidia GPUs. I don't care what the gamer benchmarks say their raw power is- both have drivers in ALL OSes that are inferior to Nvidia's drivers.

In fact, I would rather a GT210 for playback over a Radeon 6870 simply because that is how much better Nvidia's drivers are.

that's right poofy....put some stank on it....lol

do you have Kevlar lined pockets to hold that pimp hand....lol

side question...what mobo are you using with your i3 build

like I told you before I am in no rush to get this i3 box built but this i3 550 is just itching for a mobo.....plus then i can watch out for sale prices...lol
WE ALL WE GOT
@poofyhairguy

A 430 also supports bitstreaming of HD audio, which the svn will hopefully support sometime in the near future, and DSPlayer supports now.

What i'm saying is why purchase yesterdays hardware. You're better of future proofing. Cost isn't a factor as the 430 is cheap as chips.

You don't have to argue everything i say... i'm only trying to give the guy some advice!

@bigdog66

If you're going to post something, have some respect and post it in a reasonable fashion. Cut the sarcastic jibes at other forum members.
I wasn't trying to tear into you, sorry if it came off that way. I just don't think a GT430 is for everyone.

A GT210 is usually half the price (or better, I got one for $10) than a GT430 and for someone that just wants to playback local files or Blu Rays rips it does wonderfully.

As of now in Windows only the GT430 can Bitstream HD audio, but it looks like on the Linux side any GT2xx GPU will work as well. By the time the next big XBMC release after Dharma roles around I bet on both OSes all hardware mentioned will have that ability.

I have a Gt430 and I agree with you that its HDMI 1.4 makes it futureproof for someone wanted Live TV or a 3D TV. But I couldn't agree with your implication that a GT210 was are nearly useless as a Intel GPU is. Heck, I wouldn't even consider a 8400 GS below what Intel cranks out now....

poofyhairguy Wrote:I wasn't trying to tear into you, sorry if it came off that way.

Ok, mate, no problem. Wink

Really interesting to hear about the possibilty of bitstream hd audio via linux/GT2xx.

My understanding is that it's lack of driver support that is the only thing preventing hd audio bitstreaming on Windows with the earlier HDMI NVidia cards (Geforce 9300/9400, GT2xx, etc). Technically the hardware can do it as ffdshow proved you don't need PAP to bitstream hd audio. I remember helping out with ffdshow testing (had a Geforce 9300 and Xonar at the time) and getting my av receiver to actually display TrueHD/DTS-HD on it's display (via the 9300), however only getting nasty audio!

Does that match your understanding?

Cheers
liquidskin76 Wrote:@poofyhairguy

A 430 also supports bitstreaming of HD audio, which the svn will hopefully support sometime in the near future, and DSPlayer supports now.

What i'm saying is why purchase yesterdays hardware. You're better of future proofing. Cost isn't a factor as the 430 is cheap as chips.

You don't have to argue everything i say... i'm only trying to give the guy some advice!

@bigdog66

If you're going to post something, have some respect and post it in a resonable fashion. Cut the sarcastic jibes at other forum members.

if you would have included the info about the 430 from this post into the other post instead of just saying don't buy a 210 then it could have more meaning
far be it from me to have to explain what poofy was saying but all he did was took what you said and expanded it and gave a lot more detail so hopefully someone else who comes along will not think the 2xx series is garbage because it is not
and for some people getting a 210 on sale (which the 430 has only been out a short while and up until now the 210 and 220 was pretty much the best way to go and will continue to work great for most people for some time to come) which i have seen them range from 20-30 instead of the average 430 for around 80 especially this time of year may make a huge difference....so even though it may not mean much to you then YOU can be respectful of that.....but i get what you are trying to say....but if it's not right then it's not right
no need to get all sensitive....lol

you can find many posts around here from me that start with....i think or i could be wrong.....because i know my limits at this point
and i also know there are plenty of people around here who from others advice buy what they need and can speak on that
and there are others around here who buy more than what they need for the purpose of being able to answer questions about that stuff just to be helpful

if you took what i said as a jibe at you instead of a pat on the back for someone who just dropped knowledge then that's your fault...lol
there was no reason for your feelings to get hurt...No
WE ALL WE GOT
You did eactly the same to brainchild here... http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=6...post660744, so it's not like i'm the first.

Leave it...
actually not the same....i addressed brainchild....you know with his name
I wasn't even thinking about you Mr leave it...lol

in the case of the other that thread is about opinion...opinion like gtv being a threat to XBMC...and that was my opinion as no way..lol
nice try though!

in this case it is fact that for a lot of people the 210 or 220 will in fact suit most of their needs for a cheaper price

if you want to possibly do 3d or gain some audio advantages and can spend the extra money the a 430 is for you

I still love ya though...Wink
WE ALL WE GOT

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
i3-530 hardware for XBMC?0