[MAC] Finder window blocking XBMC on startup?
Question 
Hi all,

I have been trying to set up XBMC on an old Mac Mini these last few days, and even though I really like it, there is one small thing that is driving me crazy, and I really hope someone can help me!

All my media is on a NAS-box in the other end of the house (I am using FreeNAS). I connect the shares using SMB, and I have told OS X on the Mac Mini to connect to them automatically on startup, so that XBMC can see the files. Also, I have told XBMC to start automatically on startup.

The problem is, that when the Mac connects to the shares on startup, it opens two Finder-windows which block the XBMC program window, meaning I have to dig out a mouse click on XBMC to bring it back into the foreground, and I can't just use a remote.

I have been searching high and low for a solution to the problem; I can get the "open hidden" feature to work when I tell OS X to connect to the drives - it always open the damn Finder-windows. Also, I can't seem to change the order that the programs open with when I start the Mac - so I can't wait with opening XBMC until everything else is connected.

I really hope that someone can help me, because it is a really annoying roadblock towards what seems to be a super-slick media center experience.

Thanks a million in advance!

Br
Rasmus
Just curious, why are you having the finder windows open up the SMB shares in the first place? I have a very similar setup and you don't need to have the shares open automatically on start up in order for the mac to see them. Just put in your shares and credentials in the sources.xml and you should be good to go.
Hmmm, that's a good question. Usually if I don't mount the drives in OS X, XBMC can't find the files that is has indexed from the drives. Are the drives automatically mounted if I add them to the sources.xml file?
Few ways to get this solved;

1) System Preferences->Login Items, set the order from top....so mounts first, then launch XBMC. Keep XBMC in Full Screen Mode (it uses last used mode).

2) Change the sources. In Sources list of XBMC, you are selecting the folder from the mounted volume/share. Instead, Add SMB shares directly into Sources. If sources are r/w then you can export/save movie info files along with the movies.

3) Off course, you can automount via fstab in background.
How-to automount AFP/SMB shares using autofs

Rasmus Wrote:Hmmm, that's a good question. Usually if I don't mount the drives in OS X, XBMC can't find the files that is has indexed from the drives. Are the drives automatically mounted if I add them to the sources.xml file?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MAC] Finder window blocking XBMC on startup?0