Any ION board with Component Out or cheap convertor?
Hi,

I've convinced my old man to ditch the external drives and old pc with kmplayer in favour of a unRAID tower with an XBMC front-end.

I'm thinking of building him a nice, cheap and quiet box but the problem is his old plasma with limited input capabilities. Basically it only has scarts, s-video and an hd component input but not VGA or HDMI.

Most convertors out there are int he £100 range and I was wondering if any of you come across something cheaper, maybe an ION MB with optional component out?

Thanks for your input,
Andy
I don't think there are any atom/ion motherboards with built in component out. Some plasmas can accept rgb (usually with sync on green) through their component inputs, if that is the case with yours you *might* be able to get away with a cheap vga to component cable that should only cost a few dollars, along with some video driver tweaking.

Chances are though, you'll need a converter to go from RGB (whats coming out of the vga output) to YPbPr (what regular consumer electronic component inputs want).

Something like this http://www.digitalconnection.com/product...o/9a60.asp

There may be something cheaper and easier to source in europe, I just don't know what it would be.

Alternatively, if his plasma is that old, you may want to consider just picking up a cheap used firstgen appletv (has component out) and tossing xbmc on it - only problem with that is if you plan on sharing a lot of 1080p content with dad.

Good Luck!
Thanks for your reply. Similar boxes are available in the UK but I'm hoping to find something to be part of the HTPC and a bit more future proof. I have a feeling he's going to change the plasma at some point and the adapter will become a bad investment.

Perhaps a XBMC compatible video card with Y-Pb-Pr output? I remember some time ago of an adapter cable with component output but can't seem to find them anywhere now.
Problem is even if you find a card like that, does is have the hp to decode 1080p? driver support in linux or windows for vdpau or dxva? is it the right form factor for the low power atom config you are trying to get working?

Finding the right cable is cheap and not the hard part. Its getting the right stuff passing thru it.

A converter for the time being is really your best bet - or like I said a used 1st gen atv or something.

Here's an hdmi to component box from a UK source:

http://www.hdcable.co.uk/hdmi-rgb-compon...audio.html - £47.99
Actually that's not too bad. Clearly I need to improve my Google skills. I was looking for a VGA to component adapter, never thought on HDMI to component! Many thanks!
This is the one situation where I will advise someone to get a first Gen AppleTV plus a broadcom card. Component out on video cards suck, and converter cables are hit and miss meaning that you might buy something that doesn't work together.

But an AppleTV will do component perfectly day one, then HDMI perfectly when the TV gets upgraded.

If this is unpalatable go after the ION+converter box combo from a store with a good return policy, or just tell your dad "Your reward for getting a modern TV will be a sweet XBMC setup."

That is indeed an option but since his plasma upgrade might come from me (when I switch to 3D) I'm sure he would love 1080p on the 55".

Hovering around the R3700 now with the adapter misterpink suggested.
maxinc Wrote:That is indeed an option but since his plasma upgrade might come from me (when I switch to 3D) I'm sure he would love 1080p on the 55".

Then when you give him your TV throw Linux on the AppleTV (instead of default OSX) and enjoy 1080p. Only thing the AppleTV can't do is HD Audio, advanced skins, and intensive pluggins.

I am not saying don't buy a ION system (since they are superior), I am saying don't put all the eggs in that basket that requires that adaptor to work. The reviews of the adaptor say "some display panels cannot interpert the units output. Some do .. a bit hit and miss. " Double check that return policy.

I was under the impression it can't handle 1080p for some reason. Thanks for that. I'll have a look around to see what sort of prices these ATV1s sell for.
maxinc Wrote:I was under the impression it can't handle 1080p for some reason. Thanks for that.

Under the default OS it can't and the second generation AppleTVs can't do 1080p what-so-ever. That is where you got the idea I bet.

Well the prices are a bit discouraging in the UK. You can get the Apple TV for about 150 + another 50 for the crystal HD which brings it to the price of the R3700.

I guess I would be saving on the component adapter, but looking at the flexibility the PC has to offer, I still think the R3700 is a better investment long term.
I agree with that- a Revo is a much more capable machine. If you search my name and AppleTV you will find I will say that a Revo is better in every situation that does not involve ancient TVs.

My only holdup is that the adaptor is a crap shoot. You could buy all this stuff and none of it works with that old TV. So consider that in your plans and double check that adaptor return policy.

Worst case though I guess if it doesn't work is that when you give him his next TV, he gets XBMC too...

It was supposed to be a step by step transition and it started with the unRAID. Then I showed him how to better organise his media and realised what difference an XBMC can make. Now we are stuck with the old 800x600 plasma which is long due for replacement but this kind of forces my hand a little bit as I'm not sure I'm ready to switch to 3D yet.

I'll probably order the converter first and give it a try. If it manages a decent quality, I might go ahead and get the rest. If not, I'll try and return it and he'll have to wait until I set my mind on a 3D set ... which could be a lot sooner that we think.
Good luck with your attempt and please report back if it works so I can recommend that box to future people needing component. No matter what I really respect that you are setting up your dad "the right way."

I received today the HDMI to Component (YPbPr) / VGA converter and I am pleased to report back this has been a great buy.

YPbPr picture quality and resolution largely depends on the screen used.

1. DELL 24" - 2407WFP

Component YPbPr - up to 1080i/50 with best image at 720p/60, hard edges and underexposed image. With some tweaking you can get a decent quality similar to the VGA output on the same 720p/60

VGA - up to full 1080p/60, excellent picture, natural colours, no burnouts, maybe just slightly softer than a pure HDMI, but I was standing only 1 foot away.

2. Samsung 55" LCD - LE55B650

Component YPbPr - excellent 1080p/60, very close to HDMI. Difference may be probably due to the overscan that I had to correct from XBMC. I couldn't find a setting for this input on the TV. I had to pump up the brightness and contrast and slightly decrease the colour saturation.
One thing I noticed is that, although the TV can sense 1080p/24 over Component from the WD TV player, it only shows a black image from the HTPC at the same refresh rate. It works fine with 1080p/50/60 etc.

VGA - up to full 1080p/60, same excellent picture, slightly softer but can be corrected with some sharpness in TV controls.

In conclusion, results are based on how good the component input inside each screen really is and what options the tv gives you to correct the differences.

Really glad with the purchase as I was expecting a lot less for this money. The bonus here clearly is the ability to output VGA as I can see many uses for it in the future.

http://www.hdcable.co.uk/hdmi-rgb-compon...audio.html

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Any ION board with Component Out or cheap convertor?0