XBMC "always on top"?
Hi guys!

I have an issue that is not related to skin or anything. Probably a setting or something quite easy to fix.

Often when I turn on my MediaCenter (it is always on) but I turn on the tv and tuner the XBMC application has been minimized showing me the "Windows" desktop. Well since I am not hooked up with a keyboard only remote I have a big problem getting back into XBMC, I have to remotely login to the computer + select XBMC from the taskbar so it gets maximized.

Is there no option to keep it ALWAYS ON TOP or something similar?

If this has been answered before I am sorry, but a search gave me a BUNCH of non interesting threads in this matter.
use true fullscreen rather than a fullscreen window and this won't ever happen.
Are you running XBMC in Fullscreen Window or real Fullscreen? Either way, try the other one Wink
Most probably you are connected via hdmi, that is why this is happening. If you are not using audio over hdmi, then I would suggest using dvi to hdmi cable and this will not happen. I don't like to use the fake fullscreen, as somehow it is a little laggy, and I often get screen tearing.

Anyways I use eventghost, and I have a button mapped to start xbmc if it is not. So if it is accidentally minimized, and i press that button, then it just maximizes, that. Maybe you can just use that.
What remote are you using? Can you configure a button on the remote to run XBMC? If you start XBMC when it is already running it will simply set the focus to the running instance.

I'd guess you are using true fullscreen mode, which is good because it's fast, but true fullscreen mode won't share the display with any other app. If anything else gets the focus, including one of those little icons in the tray, full screen mode XBMC will minimize.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:What remote are you using? Can you configure a button on the remote to run XBMC? If you start XBMC when it is already running it will simply set the focus to the running instance.

I'd guess you are using true fullscreen mode, which is good because it's fast, but true fullscreen mode won't share the display with any other app. If anything else gets the focus, including one of those little icons in the tray, full screen mode XBMC will minimize.

JR

I am using harmony 880, with eventghost. And when I press the guide button on it, eventghost runs xbmc, and if it minimized, it just servers to maximize it and give it focus.

Yes I am using the true fullscreen mode, and XBMC runs on teh secondary display. Here is my extremely elaborate dual monitor setup...

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=88335

Works flawlessy... just one thing left now... switching off the tv when xbmc screensaver activates, and then switching on when it deactivates...

BTW none of my tiny icons give any pop up notifications, or those which cannot be switched off, except the annoying windows restart notification after an update has been installed.
ooh that last post upgraded me to the member status... Smile
ndeshmukh Wrote:Most probably you are connected via hdmi, that is why this is happening. If you are not using audio over hdmi, then I would suggest using dvi to hdmi cable and this will not happen. I don't like to use the fake fullscreen, as somehow it is a little laggy, and I often get screen tearing.

Anyways I use eventghost, and I have a button mapped to start xbmc if it is not. So if it is accidentally minimized, and i press that button, then it just maximizes, that. Maybe you can just use that.

Yes I do use HDMI for video, toslink cable for audio to tuner.

Other than that I have an Asrock 330HT with controller. The strange thing is that if XBMC is NOT started and I press the button for Media Center XBMC will launch. However if it is minimized nothing happens, or more correctly my utorrent program gets attention from my control somehow.

I would consider Eventghost but would like to install as little as possible on my comp. I am pretty sure I have full screen mode selected, no Window mode here.
Just use DVI to HDMI, then it will not minimize. I was hesitant about Eventghost earlier, but it really works fine, and is not resource hungry or anything. It does let you do somethings which would otherwise be difficult, e.g. sometimes addons leave xbmc unresponsive for long, sometimes indefinitely, so I have a button mapped for eventghost to kill xbmc.
But I don't understand how I can use DVI to HDMI. I do not have a DVI output, only VGA and HDMI on my AsRock 330HT.
oops... sorry about that. I guess I just assumed you would have one.
tormi Wrote:Yes I do use HDMI for video, toslink cable for audio to tuner.

Other than that I have an Asrock 330HT with controller. The strange thing is that if XBMC is NOT started and I press the button for Media Center XBMC will launch. However if it is minimized nothing happens, or more correctly my utorrent program gets attention from my control somehow.

I would consider Eventghost but would like to install as little as possible on my comp. I am pretty sure I have full screen mode selected, no Window mode here.

What have you done to configure the Asrock remote? If the green button starts XBMC you have presumably reconfigured the remote somehow.

Eventghost shouldn't be necessary. The Asrock remote is MS compatible and can be configured to do pretty much anything you want.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:What have you done to configure the Asrock remote? If the green button starts XBMC you have presumably reconfigured the remote somehow.

Eventghost shouldn't be necessary. The Asrock remote is MS compatible and can be configured to do pretty much anything you want.

JR

I followed Elitegamers guide - > http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=86822 from that thread.

The strange thing is that the green button WILL start XBMC if it is closed and NOT running. However if it is minimized it will NOT maximize it. If it did my problem would be solved.

Thanks for trying to help me here!
tormi Wrote:I followed Elitegamers guide - > http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=86822 from that thread.

The strange thing is that the green button WILL start XBMC if it is closed and NOT running. However if it is minimized it will NOT maximize it. If it did my problem would be solved.

Thanks for trying to help me here!

What method are you using? you might missed an update from my side since the last time you posted.

Cheers,
EG.
elitegamer360 Wrote:What method are you using? you might missed an update from my side since the last time you posted.

Cheers,
EG.

Yeah... You last update fixed it all. I am no officially a happy camper!!!

Awesome. Thanks all!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC "always on top"?0