Does XBMC do this yet?
Hi!

I'm have been trying XMBC a few times in the past, but it never met up to all my needs, but now when it does support Live-TV i think i will give it a try again. Running Win MCE atm.

But i have some demands to be met before i can run XMBC on my HTPC. Since this really is my only device exept my AVR.
I run an AVR with support for HD-sound formats and 9.1 speaker setup.

So can XMBC do this

1. Bitstream sound through HDMI?
2. Play Blu-ray/HDDVD with DTS-HD / Dolby TrueHD?
3. Schedule recordings of series (may be even cut out commercials)?

I'm open to change hardware, but i run Asus Xonar 1.3 Slim today wich is the only soundcard i know to support DTS-HD / DTHD. Dont know about drivers for it, but should be possible

I run FloppyDTV as tv-cards, but here i know drivers can be problematic for linux.
barreth Wrote:Hi!

I'm have been trying XBMC a few times in the past, but it never met up to all my needs, but now when it does support Live-TV i think i will give it a try again. Running Win MCE atm.

But i have some demands to be met before i can run XBMC on my HTPC. Since this really is my only device exept my AVR.
I run an AVR with support for HD-sound formats and 9.1 speaker setup.

So can XBMC do this

1. Bitstream sound through HDMI?
2. Play Blu-ray/HDDVD with DTS-HD / Dolby TrueHD?
3. Schedule recordings of series (may be even cut out commercials)?

I'm open to change hardware, but i run Asus Xonar 1.3 Slim today wich is the only soundcard i know to support DTS-HD / DTHD. Dont know about drivers for it, but should be possible

I run FloppyDTV as tv-cards, but here i know drivers can be problematic for linux.

1) I don't think so.
2) Only on Windows with an external player
3) No.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
1) works fine for ac3 and dts, but not for the hd formats just yet.
Just to piggyback a Q, will a freeware blu ray codec ever be available? or have sony stuck a wall infront like it does with everything it monopolizes?
1) Bitstreaming works if you use an external player (MPC-HC) with ffdshow or a DSPlayer build
2) Works fine using external player (PowerDVD, TMT3, TMT5)
3) Also possible with external programs like DVBviewer

MPC-HC automatically starts when i select a movie and there are also no problems with cinema experience script. AdvancedLauncher starts PowerDVD and autoplays blurays and dvds and also starts DVBViewer in fullscreen.
Death-Axe Wrote:Just to piggyback a Q, will a freeware blu ray codec ever be available? or have sony stuck a wall infront like it does with everything it monopolizes?

http://x264dev.multimedia.cx/archives/328
I may have misunderstood the release notes for Dharma but doesn't dharma suport bit streaming of HD audio (DTS-HD/TrueHD) via HDMI now?

"* Added support for WASAPI (Windows Audio Session API) for raw bitstream output"
Tripplesixty Wrote:I may have misunderstood the release notes for Dharma but doesn't dharma suport bit streaming of HD audio (DTS-HD/TrueHD) via HDMI now?

No, but it will send multichannel PCM over HDMI.

EGOvoruhk Wrote:http://x264dev.multimedia.cx/archives/328

That is for encoding though, not playback... or did I miss something?
Death-Axe Wrote:That is for encoding though, not playback... or did I miss something?

There is already support for playback of Blu-ray codecs. There has been for a while. The codecs used on Blu-ray existed before the format itself

Do you mean actual Blu-rays? Because that has nothing to do with codecs, and everything to do with DRM. There are workarounds to playing an actual disc using MakeMKV, but until something similar becomes open-source, I wouldn't expect any sort of official playback methods
Ohhhhh drm is it. Ok thanks for clearing that up. Perhaps a local drm thingy to run in the background or something to clear it on the fly?
Death-Axe Wrote:Ohhhhh drm is it. Ok thanks for clearing that up. Perhaps a local drm thingy to run in the background or something to clear it on the fly?

In the works, but Rome wasn't built in a day:

http://www.videolan.org/developers/libbluray.html

Death-Axe Wrote:Perhaps a local drm thingy to run in the background or something to clear it on the fly?

As I said...

EGOvoruhk Wrote:...until something similar becomes open-source, I wouldn't expect any sort of official playback methods...

All DRM removal methods are currently closed sourced. The only thing close is MakeMKV, which like I said, is already usable as a workaround to play Blu-rays, albeit unofficially

Also, until the protection is fully cracked, you'd have to deal with updates to remove newer types of protection that come out every few months. There's nothing like DeCSS yet for Blu-rays
tco42 Wrote:1) Bitstreaming works if you use an external player (MPC-HC) with ffdshow or a DSPlayer build
2) Works fine using external player (PowerDVD, TMT3, TMT5)
3) Also possible with external programs like DVBviewer

MPC-HC automatically starts when i select a movie and there are also no problems with cinema experience script. AdvancedLauncher starts PowerDVD and autoplays blurays and dvds and also starts DVBViewer in fullscreen.

I currently do this witn WMC and mediaplayer; however, I do not know how to get this to work with XBMC.

First, let me clarify if I am reading this correctly.

I can use XBMC to play act as a shell for all of my media files. I can tell XBMC to play a movie rip, and it has the ability to play that movie (using whatever program I use it to use, opposed to XBMC built in program), correct?

If so, I'll tell it to use windows media player classic, as I have that working correctly through windows media center with HD audio.

So, if I am reading you right, then how do I tell XBMC to use media player classic to render the video / audio to get my HD audio?
I think I found my own answer:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/06/...r-in-xbmc/

I will play around with this this week sometime to see if it works.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Does XBMC do this yet?0