Which Speaker set looks best?
Which 5.1 Speakers looks best between...?

#1 (FS-5015)

#2 (FS-5030)

#3 (FS 5007)

thanks
Function > Form.

http://www.parts-express.com/home.cfm

Build your own.

For $90 you're definitely going to get what you pay for.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
oh, hope they ship to canada,,,, thx
I wouldn't get any of those.. doubt you can get any decent sound out of them
Agree. Go for some cheap system from the well known branches, Sony, Samsung, Logitech etc. if you are on a budget. Usually you get what you pay for..
If you're after a good budget 5.1 set, Logitech Z-5500 is the best choice. THX Certified with S/PDIF and DD + DTS decoding on board. The look smart and sound excellent for the money.
I second the Logitech Z-5500.

yeah,,, i know about the Logitech Z-5500... but its $325....

i understand you get what you pay for....

but the sound seemed OK, see video --> youtube
I currently use my Logitech Z-5500 have been for a while as I'm upgrading my old system and this is normally my pc system its one reason I use DSPlayer as I run in analogue mode and use "DC-Graphic EQ" comparing that to bitstreaming AC3 or DTS it wins hands down

If you get a good quality low end system its definitely worth considering doing something similar because it makes a big difference done it on a few systems for friends
eskro Wrote:yeah,,, i know about the Logitech Z-5500... but its $325....

i understand you get what you pay for....

Honestly there is ONE thing I think you really need for a sound system- the ability to take DTS and AC3 over an optical connection. Without this you can't really gonna enjoy HD content with surround because how is surround supposed to work?

Heck last year I bought a $200 RCA system that was half of the way there (it could take AC3 over optical but not DTS) and it was such a pain in my ass is it now replaced and the only reason I am saving it for for target practice.

I mean it is nice to have HDMI audio, etc, but all you really need is DTS and Dolby Digital over optical. None of the systems in the first post can do that. The Logitech can.

EDIT: Here is the exact system I got to replace the target practice system:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HT-SS370-Surr...225&sr=1-3

Not only can it take DTS and AC3 over optical (AND HDMI) it can also take 7 channel PCM (so HD audio if you do the legwork). Its cool.

well by reading here --> http://www.frisbyspeakers.com/index.php?...oductId=56

it says Frisby FS-5015 device is Dolby Digital DTS AC3 5.1 ready
It only has RCA inputs not digital so unless your sound card has multichannel with 5.1 analogue outs you wont get AC3 or DTS 5.1

Its basically a 6 channel amp it doesn't have on board DTS or Dolby decoding
i have problems understanding OPTiCAL and ANALOGUE OUT audio...
It is digital vs analogue sound. Basically it is best to avoid the internal soundcard by sending the digital bits directly to a decoder. You are also less likely to transfer inference- and static noise that your computer might make.

You do not automatically get any better sound by using digital out, that depends on the receivers onboard DAC, but the HD Audio or Realtek sound chip most have on their motherboard is considered as shitty quality.
eskro Wrote:i have problems understanding OPTiCAL and ANALOGUE OUT audio...

Sound is stored in a digital format while speakers need an analogue current to be able to reproduce it. This means there must be some sort of conversion from Digital to Analogue somewhere on the way. This is where DACs (Digital-to-Analog Converter) come into play.

There are several options:

1. You can convert it inside the computer's sound card (Realtek or similar DAC) and send the analog signals to the AMP. In this case you will need 1 cable for each channel transmitted. (6 or 8 cables in total). The low voltage analog signal is also prone to interference and highly dependable on the cable quality, length and a lot of other variables.

2. You can send it digitally via a Optical (or Coax or HDMI) cable which is immune to interference and can transmit multiple channels simultaneous on the same cable. The digital signal will be converted into analog using the the Amplifier's DAC.

3. You can use an independent DAC in between. This is what audiophiles use and tend to be an expensive option.

In our case, the Z5500 or Samsung HT kit have onboard DACs whereas the speaker sets you were referring to, don't. Apart from the obvious quality benefit of using more expensive speakers, it is also a huge connectivity benefit.

As mentioned by Torra, the final quality of the sound will depend on the quality of the DAC involved, and it is generally believed the cheap DACs embedded in the MB's audio chips are not the greatest.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which Speaker set looks best?0