[LINUX] No sound during playback (while skin sounds play fine)
Hi all,

I have a strange sound issue which I struggle to resolve.

I recently set up a minimal Lucid installation with Dharma from the PPA which I use for testing add-ons. The hardware is pretty standard, a 3-yr old Asus laptop with only one 2-channel analog Intel audio.

I boot the laptop at runlevel 3. Before starting X I can confirm sound is properly configured (ALSA), speaker-test works fine as well as aplay.

When I launch X, I have set up XBMC to start directly from .xinitrc as a single application (no desktop environment etc.) - much the same way it works on my HTPC (which is a different machine).

When XBMC starts, I can hear all the sounds that he skin (Confluence) plays - when you hit a key, click a mouse button etc. However, when I try to play an audio file (be it WAV, MP3 etc.) the payer starts, visualisation works, time counter ticks, but no sound can be heard from the speakers. In the debug log there is nothing about it sound and there are no errors on playback.

In the top right corner (next to the clock) there is a small icon showing a "muted sound" symbol (a red loudspeaker with a strike-though). It probably means XBMC is somehow "muted", but I can't figure out how to un-mute it. I even tried the Mixer addon, but it didn't show anything unusual - only the same I see on console with alsamixer.

In system audio settings the audio device is set do "Default", 2-channel, analog.

What puzzles me most is that the system sounds from the skin play nicely, but any other audio is muted.

Has anybody seen anything like this? Any ides where to dig? Help will be appreciated.

10x in advance,

Assen
in alsamixer press 'm' to mute/unmute
Thanks, lowlife. All necessary channels ("master" and "PCM") are unmuted; if I mute them (using "m" in alsamixer), I stop hearing the system sounds too. So this is not the problem :-(

WWell,
sounds like the xbmc app is muted, not alsa. How do you control your XBMC? Do you have a mute button on your remote/keyboard?

Edit: looks like the keyboard map uses f8 as mute. Try that.
Thanks, gsgleason! Ingenious - F8 worked. It didn't came to my mind that there may be keyboard action to mute/unmute.

WWell,
Mine just started doing this TODAY. I've been using Kodi Isengard for months now, on a Dell Inspiron 518 00, 4 GB RAM, and running LinuxMint 15.1.

That red slashed speaker icon is there, and I can't find anything in Settings to shut it off; the F8 doesn't do it either. And repeating myself, it wasn't doing this yesterday, and I haven't changed any setting.
Just press + or minus you have muted it.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] No sound during playback (while skin sounds play fine)0