[AppleTV2] Some initial & rookie questions about XBMC on the Apple TV 2
Ok before I run right out and buy one, here are my initial questions:

1) Does it have all the features and functions of 10.0 currently running on my HTPC?
2) Is it able to play all the same audio/video/music files?
3) What kind of sound decoding is it capable of? Will it send 5.1 or 7.1 to my receiver?
4) Does it have skin capabilities?
5) Can I install skins and add ons right from the GUI?
6) Where would all the set-up, configuration, boxart, etc be stored?
7) Will I still be able to delete media after consuming it?

VERY exciting news!!! My guess is that you've just crushed Boxee and Popcorn Hour and sold a LOT of Apple TVs for Apple. They should be thanking you!

Looking forward to getting some additional information on this.

Thanks everyone!
Dragontech ioBox 100HD w/1TB internal - YAMJ - Unique Black Glas
HTPC running XBMC & Boxee
Thecus N4100Pro NAS w/4x1.5TB Western Digital Green Drives Raid 5
Epson Home Cinema 8350 w/106" Elite Screen
Onkyo TX-SR606
Logitech Harmony One Remote
Does an AppleTV2 need to be tethered every time it boots in order to run XBMC?
or is that only needed for the jailbreak/install process?

(I've been resisting upgrading from my original XBox for years, and the ATV2 seems ideal - assuming I dont need to park a computer next to that's as big as the XBox I'm trying to replace!)
Currently most iDevices on 4.2.1 requires a tethered boot (besides all iPhone 3G & older 3GS) from a cold boot, doesnt require it when it wakes from sleep or respring.
Currently the ATV2 only outputs stereo.
Server - Debain Squeeze Server + 6TB RAID5 + Sabnzbd + CP & SB
HTPC - Zotac MAG + 60GB Vertex 2 SSD + OpenELEC Frodo 12.1 + Aeon Nox
HTPC 2 - AppleTV 2
CASHMON3Y Wrote:Currently the ATV2 only outputs stereo.

No it doesn't, it's just disabled for the time being. See this thread for how to re-enable it:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=91729

fwiw it works perfectly for me so far with DD, DTS and DTS-ES streams.
pbusardo Wrote:1) Does it have all the features and functions of 10.0 currently running on my HTPC?

It is not a compromise this is a full port of XBMC and it should have all the features of other installations of XBMC. That said though there are some creases to be ironed out, and some features have been deliberately disabled at this point to make testing more straightforward. Its not working perfectly at the moment, but things will improve. See the stickied thread for more info on those limitations.

Quote:2) Is it able to play all the same audio/video/music files?

Again, visit the stickied thread to find out what's not working so well. It should be able to play any type of file that XBMC usually can but there's a couple of streaming protocols which have been deliberately disabled, and HD videos encoded with XVid or WMV are not decoded well and will stutter.

Quote:3) What kind of sound decoding is it capable of? Will it send 5.1 or 7.1 to my receiver?

In it's current form it outputs in stereo, and downmixes from 5.1 and 7.1. However this is one of those features that was switched off to lower the testing base. There's a thread on this forum about to re-enable it. It's quite straightforward

Quote:4) Does it have skin capabilities?

It does. You can install from the repositories or from zip (as normal), but not many of the skins are currently working very well with iOS XBMC (it's been out less than a week so this is hardly surprising!). Also the ATV2's hardware isn't that suited to some of the more demanding skins. A lightweight skin is preferred.

Quote:5) Can I install skins and add ons right from the GUI?

Yes. Though it should be noted that not all AddOns and skins are currently working well with iOS XBMC

Quote:6) Where would all the set-up, configuration, boxart, etc be stored?

Don't know this one off-hand I'm afraid

Quote:7) Will I still be able to delete media after consuming it?

Someone reported that there was a problem with the file manager in the stickied thread (check out that thread to see exactly what was said) but I've only seen that one complaint, so it might be an issue particular to that person. If there is a problem with file management from within XBMC you can bet it's on the devs' to do list
Let me add one more question:

Xbmc appears as additional item in menu, meaning you can use ATV2 at the same time for music and pictures if you choose so? Or is it a complete replacement of ATV2?
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

XBMC appears as another item in the standard ATV menu. All original functions are maintained
Really, i would classify XBMC for Apple TV 2 as more of a Beta right now if anything. A lot of functions have been disabled and/or not ported over currently. Specifically half the remote functionality is simply not there. Highly impressive for how much work was done in a short time and it is 100% functionally working (in respect to playing video files that is). But it isn't up to the windows/linux build stablity i have on my other devices... but i have no doubt it will get there fast.
As for:
pbusardo Wrote:Ok before I run right out and buy one, here are my initial questions:

1) Does it have all the features and functions of 10.0 currently running on my HTPC?
2) Is it able to play all the same audio/video/music files?
3) What kind of sound decoding is it capable of? Will it send 5.1 or 7.1 to my receiver?
4) Does it have skin capabilities?
5) Can I install skins and add ons right from the GUI?
6) Where would all the set-up, configuration, boxart, etc be stored?
7) Will I still be able to delete media after consuming it?

VERY exciting news!!! My guess is that you've just crushed Boxee and Popcorn Hour and sold a LOT of Apple TVs for Apple. They should be thanking you!

Looking forward to getting some additional information on this.

Thanks everyone!

1) Yes and No... Some functionality hasent been ported yet but it is built off that branch apperently.
2) As far as i have thrown at it. Yes it can play all the same formats... There are problems with frameloss in higher bitrate encoded video at this time
3) It apperently can pass-thru DTS and DD, havent tried this since my revo is the device i use on my livingroom setup with my onkyo stereo system
4) At this time the skins are unrefined (have to be recoded for the device specific branch it appears... specifically when it comes to the transparent overlay)
5) At this time it is ill advised. (I would guess incompatibility due to some functionality being limits... specifically key/remote insufficency)
6) Ummm... in the device? It has 8gb of internal memory.... Wish it was a little larger but nothing you can do about it at this time.
7) What do you mean "delete" media?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] Some initial & rookie questions about XBMC on the Apple TV 20