*.mkv files with ASS(SSA) subtitles doesn't work
bircoe Wrote:Why not just demux the sub track and convert it to something that works perfectly like srt, then remux the mkv, should take all of 3.5 minutes.

Its not really realistic for me to do this considering the number of files and my setup.
bircoe Wrote:Why not just demux the sub track and convert it to something that works perfectly like srt, then remux the mkv, should take all of 3.5 minutes.

Doing this will 99.9% of the time mess up the subs. SSA subs has a lot of text positioned all over the screen changing it to a srt will simply make the subs unreadable.

It would be nice to have ssa/ass subs work.

For Anime lovers xbmc on the Apple TV is just not an option i highly recommend Plex it has no issue displaying aas/ssa subs on the Apple TV 2. Even Firecores Media Player can read ssa subs.

For me this is a huge downfall for xbmc.
I've looked into this bug some weeks ago and it seems difficult to track it down (at least for me) ... maybe i'll have a look at it again in the near future ... until then i recommend to use the mentioned apps, or wait, or get some new japanese friends which help translating Wink

Chin up!

Memphiz
I started looking into this issue too. I have at least one anime file with ASS subtitle which plays perfectly fine with formatted subtitle and all. I can't figure out what makes that file special while others fail to display the ASS subtitle properly.

For those interested in getting this fixed, could you post here any anime file that properly display ASS subtitle. Perhaps if I see enough of the working ones, we can find a pattern to help get the issue taken cared of.
dazex Wrote:For those interested in getting this fixed, could you post here any anime file that properly display ASS subtitle. Perhaps if I see enough of the working ones, we can find a pattern to help get the issue taken cared of.

Didn't davilla say to stop posting samples because they have enough info to work with?

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=722...stcount=29
SSA/AAS subs work in video that doesn't get passed to the hardware decoder. So if you turn it off SSA/ASS subs work fine. But that beats the point all video plays back choppy.
Thewolf Wrote:Even Firecores Media Player can read ssa subs.
I just tested Firecore's Media Player. It displayed subs, but I don't think it displays it with the proper formatting call for via the SSA/ASS standard. Additionally, when more than one sub is sequenced to appear on screen at the same time, It spit timecode garbage on the screen. I'll have to look more into this.

Lastly, on one particular sample, each time a sub appears on screen. The video stop with a Out of memory error message. Replaying and resuming will play the video until the next subtitle appears on screen. At which point it errors out again. Doing this a few times and Lowtide eventually resets itself.

On another video file with ASS subtitle in which XBMC is able to play perfectly, Firecore's media player again fails to format the text. And the video stutters.

So your statement is a little misleading. FC Media player can read AAS, but displaying it properly...it fails to do according to my test.

To help with testing, here are the video file I used:

This one works perfectly in XBMC with full hardware acceleration and proper formatting of subtitles:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=717570&postcount=8

This one fails to show subtitle on the proper layer in XBMC. On FC media player, it causes out of memory errors as well as eventual restart of Lowtide:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=717...stcount=17
bircoe Wrote:Didn't davilla say to stop posting samples because they have enough info to work with?

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=722...stcount=29
I know that's what davilla wrote a while back. However, this is opensource and any of us can troubleshoot and fix the problems ourselves. That's what my goals are. At the very least, I hope to narrow down the issue to or see if there is a pattern. I am good with troubleshooting.

But it's fine with me too if nobody wants to give me a hand. My Linux based revo plays ASS subtitled files just fine. Not a big deal to me either way.
Ok, I stand corrected. Further testing reveal that the file that works is h.264, but it wasn't using the VTB. That's why ASS subtitle shows up. At least the mystery is solved for me.

Also, further testing with FC media player still yielded poor subtitle and video playback.

I am currently compiling a build of ATV2 with a Libass patch someone submitted. We'll see if that helps the situation any. I'll report back.
dazex Wrote:I just tested Firecore's Media Player. It displayed subs, but I don't think it displays it with the proper formatting call for via the SSA/ASS standard. Additionally, when more than one sub is sequenced to appear on screen at the same time, It spit timecode garbage on the screen. I'll have to look more into this.

Lastly, on one particular sample, each time a sub appears on screen. The video stop with a Out of memory error message. Replaying and resuming will play the video until the next subtitle appears on screen. At which point it errors out again. Doing this a few times and Lowtide eventually resets itself.

On another video file with ASS subtitle in which XBMC is able to play perfectly, Firecore's media player again fails to format the text. And the video stutters.

So your statement is a little misleading. FC Media player can read AAS, but displaying it properly...it fails to do according to my test.

To help with testing, here are the video file I used:

This one works perfectly in XBMC with full hardware acceleration and proper formatting of subtitles:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=717570&postcount=8

This one fails to show subtitle on the proper layer in XBMC. On FC media player, it causes out of memory errors as well as eventual restart of Lowtide:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=717...stcount=17

I fell for that firecode sub trap. After he said it played subs i figured it was worth a shot and bought it since xbmc might take months unless someone worked on it. Hopefully you can do some work on it.

Firecode is way to early to judge. It only support AFP and then it can only stream files 480p or less. Every 720 mkv I tried had memory issues and crashed. While a 480 played fine, the subs worked but they looked horrible since i could not change the font style. They know about the 720p issue and are working on memory management.
Not sure why my post failed.. but yeah FC media is way to early to use. 720 videos cause memory errors, and it only used AFP. I did get a 480p mkv with subs to play but they looked horrible since I could not edit the font/style used.

I hope we can find a solution for xbmc that works.
On another note has this problem been with all versions of xbmc atv2? I have downgraded to 4.2.1 for untethered and wanted to know if there is a "best" version overall to install.
dazex Wrote:Ok, I stand corrected. Further testing reveal that the file that works is h.264, but it wasn't using the VTB. That's why ASS subtitle shows up. At least the mystery is solved for me.

Also, further testing with FC media player still yielded poor subtitle and video playback.

I am currently compiling a build of ATV2 with a Libass patch someone submitted. We'll see if that helps the situation any. I'll report back.

How did that go? I assume it wasn't an instant fix.
Not an instant fix, no. But I can get some subtitles to play during the opening song but not elsewhere. I can't make any sense of it, and I have great troubleshooting skills. Extracted the ass subtract and used the same software most of the groups use to encode the sub to see if I can see anything, and haven't had any luck. Sad
The opening song those subs are likely to hardcoded into the video. Most anime has the songs hardcode into the video.

This developers know whats causing the issue, why not speak to them.

There was one official build where the ssa subs worked.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
*.mkv files with ASS(SSA) subtitles doesn't work0