Had enough with AMD. Suggest me a cheap Intel build!
A week back, I got the missing components for my first dedicated HTPC build.

The following components were installed:
AMD Athlon II X3 440 Processor
Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H Mainboard
2x2GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 RAM C9 @ 1600MHz
Corsair VX450 Power Supply
320GB Western Digital Blue SATA Hard Drive
Cooler Master CM590 Chassis

Of the above components, I already had everything other than the Processor and Mainboard. Went with the AMD components due to the advice of a few friends. I read here and elsewhere that the onboard HD4250 GPU should be able to handle 1080p encoded high bitrate mkv files which consists of about 80% of my total media. However, there were issues with the build as it could not handle my media files and I have documented the details here.

I have had my share of experience with AMD. I went with AMD despite there being no support for AMD in the part of the country I live in (NE-India). The retailers refuse to sell AMD and I learnt it the difficult way.

Anyways, I have decided to sell of the AMD/Gigabyte combo and get myself a new i3 based setup. The following is what I have decided to get.

Intel i3 530 Processor or the i3 540 (depending on availability and pricing)
Gigabyte GA-H55M-D2H Mainboard

I am also getting a dedicated GT430 GPU. The cheapest I can find. However, I don't mind spending a bit more if I can find a passive cooled one. Any suggestions of this?

The other components stay the same.

All my media is stored on a NAS and I plan to keep it that way.

Please suggest if I need to make any change as I need to order the components at the earliest.

Thanks for looking Smile
your not having issues with your AMD build.... Tongue
you simply need buy the correct video card to go with it....
trust me, poofyhairguy will confirm, your build is ok!

i never suggest users to use the onboard video...
its always better to buy a dedicated Graphic Card....

now to play 100% of all True HD video & audio formats,
you have 2 choices:

#1- get a Radeon HD 5xxx series video card --> http://fwd4.me/uGc

#2- get a GeForce GT430 video card --> http://fwd4.me/uGd

i would go with the ZOTAC GeForce GT430 Smile

ok now, enjoy your HTPC Smile
You probably don't need to ditch you existing system. Add a cheap GT210 card and all your problems will most likely be gone. GT430 is better (and only option) if you plan on playing 3D stuff but if that isn't in your plans yet, I would save the money and go with the cheaper alternative.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Had enough with AMD. Suggest me a cheap Intel build!0