• 6(current)
[AppleTV2] NFS on Apple TV 2?
I set loglevel to 3 - as standard loglevel when set through the GUI is 2. According to the wiki linked earlier 3 is the highest loglevel.
It revealed a bit more, but nothing of interest. Just path names while accessing the shares.

A cut from adding nfs, accessing it, then accessing the same folder via smb instead:
http://pastebin.com/Y88zmPTm
There surely has to be a better solution
Thewolf Wrote:There surely has to be a better solution

I'm more than open to suggestions Smile
Since the nfs library included in xbmc works for others, It's clear it has to do with the (my) *BSD implementation/setup of NFS shares.

If anyone has a working setup against a *BSD NFS server, I'd love to see how they did it. Which flags they are sending to their mountd and nfs_server as well as how their /etc/exports are setup.

But for now I can't see how I can setup those parameters in a more insecure way that I already have, so I'm left with trying to debug on xbmc's implementation of the nfs library.. Sad
Might be a similar thing to the problem with the solaris nfs server ... i think you should wait until the nfs version bump (i have done many improvements to the xbmc code and the libnfs dev also did improvements). And then you might recheck. I don't have a freebsd here for testing this :/. And of course no ETA when it will come to the version bump (still minor issues in new features for nfs...)

And the superduper debug mode isn't existent afaik. All errors have been logged to the xbmc.log. So i bet it is something similar to the solaris thing where directorys where wrongly detected as files...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Memphiz Wrote:Might be a similar thing to the problem with the solaris nfs server ... i think you should wait until the nfs version bump (i have done many improvements to the xbmc code and the libnfs dev also did improvements). And then you might recheck. I don't have a freebsd here for testing this :/. And of course no ETA when it will come to the version bump (still minor issues in new features for nfs...)

And the superduper debug mode isn't existent afaik. All errors have been logged to the xbmc.log. So i bet it is something similar to the solaris thing where directorys where wrongly detected as files...

I just had a read through that thread - seems very very similar!

I was actually only 8mb away from installing ubuntu on my NAS and going that way to gain NFS shares.. But I'll keep some FreeBSD/FreeNAS machines around in vmware to test with once the libnfs bumps are included in nightly.
Hello,

It is been weeks I try to setup NFS on my Snow Leopard to prevent the Lion Samba loss. I read the forum, the wiki, other articles on internet, on every attempt XMBC could not access to the NFS share and then crashes.
I tried command lines and NFS Manager. I can not test my share because I have not any other unix machine at home.

So before posting logs and logs and asking for help, I have another question: why nfs must be manually entered in XMBC ?
and not with a friendly GUI as smb ?
Will there be a clear written method on the subject ?

I will soon have the "Installing Lion dilemma" ... but I am sure you will find a solution. I have read a lot of good thing about NFS, compare to SMB, but I can not manage to make it works ...

In case of a huge mistake from me ... My share is:
/Users/Benjamin/Movies/iWatchTV -alldirs -ro
NFS manager makes the other stuff.

showmount -e:
/Users/Benjamin/Movies/iWatchTV Everyone

I try to access it via:
nfs://192.168.0.3/Users/Benjamin/Movies/iWatchTV

and XBMC "can not access to the directory" and crashes ...

Thanks !
1. I need a log file for helping you
2. Yes it will be more userfriendly in the future..
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
So. Then let me give you all a little info on WIP according to NFS. I've worked out some improvements and the libnfs dev also did some nice stuff for us beeing more comfortable.

* reduce number of mount requests to a minimum (increase performance on directory browsing)
* add dns name resolution (so at least dns resolvable names can be used in nfs urls)
* make nfs code in xbmc more robust to wrong configuration of url's or shutdown nfs servers
* libnfs: increased performance on read requests
* libnfs: fetch a list with exported filesystems from the server
* libnfs: fetch a list with all nfs servers inside one subnet.
* libnfs: compatibilityfix for solaris nfs servers

So this means in the next libnfs / xbmc version you even don't need to setup the nfs url. It will be just as simple as browsing the network for samba servers then. There is no ETA since i'm working together with the libnfs dev here who is busy during the week. So we have to sync on weekends.
Thanks for the information.

When I look at my logs, they seems empty of useful information, must I activate the debug mode ?

here is my last log: http://pastebin.com/d2bfdwyt

1st attempt: error
2nd: crash
Since NFS (and I'm guessing libnfs) can specify rsize (and less importantly wsize) any chance we could get these in advanced settings? Some of us like tuning our networks Smile

Something like:
Code:
<nfs>
     <rsize>4048</rsize>
     <wsize>4048</wsize>
</nfs>
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
darkscout - the improved read which will be in the next libnfs version does something more effective. It splitsthe read request in multiple parallel running reads and waits until all chunks are received on the server. This should be the most efficient way of reading from nfs and it also takes the rsize of the server into account.

Changing that size in the advancedsettings could lead to crash (my nfs server only allows 32k wsize - writing more then that at once would make the nfs connection go crazy)
ben33400 Wrote:Thanks for the information.

When I look at my logs, they seems empty of useful information, must I activate the debug mode ?

here is my last log: http://pastebin.com/d2bfdwyt

1st attempt: error
2nd: crash

please take a look at the first link in my signature - i need the crashlog aswell... and yes you should turn on debugging...
ben33400 Wrote:Hello,

It is been weeks I try to setup NFS on my Snow Leopard to prevent the Lion Samba loss. I read the forum, the wiki, other articles on internet, on every attempt XBMC could not access to the NFS share and then crashes.
I tried command lines and NFS Manager. I can not test my share because I have not any other unix machine at home.

So before posting logs and logs and asking for help, I have another question: why nfs must be manually entered in XBMC ?
and not with a friendly GUI as smb ?
Will there be a clear written method on the subject ?

I will soon have the "Installing Lion dilemma" ... but I am sure you will find a solution. I have read a lot of good thing about NFS, compare to SMB, but I can not manage to make it works ...

In case of a huge mistake from me ... My share is:
/Users/Benjamin/Movies/iWatchTV -alldirs -ro
NFS manager makes the other stuff.

showmount -e:
/Users/Benjamin/Movies/iWatchTV Everyone

I try to access it via:
nfs://192.168.0.3/Users/Benjamin/Movies/iWatchTV

and XBMC "can not access to the directory" and crashes ...

Thanks !

did you honor the part with the -n option stated in the wiki? i bet not ... and thats the cause why it doesn't work for you. So read the wiki entry exactly and it will work...
-n option was added.
When I have time I will post complete logs.

Speaking of the wiki, when I use the chown command as describe, my main account lost write right. There might be an error there.

As I said, before posting I tried the entire forum / wiki and other sources. And I can not fin d my mistake.
ben33400 Wrote:...
Speaking of the wiki, when I use the chown command as describe, my main account lost write right. There might be an error there.

The easy solution is to just chmod all the files and directories to 777. (chmod -R 777 /path/to/root/directory).

Either that, or fiddle with user id and group id until the user on apple TV2 has the same UID/GID as the user on your NFS server.. As I said, the easy solution is to just chmod 777 (give read/write/execute to every user on the system!).

Slightly more insecure, but I assume you're doing all this on your own network, so I see no harm.
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] NFS on Apple TV 2?0